Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

laser level suggestions

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dirtdiggencat 
#1 ·
any brand??

primary use is checking grade

#2 ·
Dirt,

If you are going to use it a lot on sites and you want to be able to toss it in the back of the truck and go. Be careful to get one that is made to take it. Our Laser Alignment LB2 is 18 years old and we're on our second battery pack and it's been cleaned and re-calibrated twice. The LB2 made today is not the same tool. Laser Alignment, Spectra-Precision and Leica are all good brands. The heavy duty models go for 1,500 dollars and more. The less expensive models are not as durable.

#5 ·
I have a spectra-physics (which is now spectra-precision) that is 18 years old and has not needed calibration. Runs on 4 D cell batteries, receiver on 1-9 volt.

I recently purchased 2 David White Lasers.

A cheapo from Lowes a ML-450 for about $200, it worked for only 3 days. I returned it.

The second purchase is a 3175 was about $1,300 and so far seems quite durable and accurate.

You do get what you pay for sometimes.:)

#6 ·
I use a Spectra Precision L600. I have had this level for 8 years and has never had any problems. The L600 has a operating diameter of 1,970 ft. The L800 has a operating diameter of 2,600 ft. I like this level because it runs off of 4 D batteries and 2 AA for the reciever. You dont have to remember to charge the battery or run it from a car battery. Just go to the store and buy some or always carry extra. I seem to get pretty good battery life but I also dont use it everyday. If it gets bumped out of level it will stop operating untill it is releveled (nice feature). You can also set it to be out of level so you can do pitch for drainage swales or sewer pipe. This feature comes in handy so you can set it and forget it. You set the fall you want and dont need to keep doing math in your head.

Good Luck.

#8 ·
Dirt,

Depending on what your typical work is you should also check the degree of accuracy of each unit. They all have an accuracy rating in a given distance most give it at 100' (+/- 1/8" in 100'). some do get up to more than 1/4" in 100" which translates to the possibility of 1/2" difference in a 100' radius of work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.