Large Grading Contractors? McAninch Construction

Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

Trade: Grading, Excavating, Clearing, & Demo
Rewards Points: 25

Large Grading Contractors? McAninch Construction

I saw this company (McAninch Construction) on a planholders list for a job we were bidding on and was a bit surpised to see them bidding on a relatively small 35,000 CY job.

http://www.mcaninchcorp.com/

Look at their equipment list under the "Who We Are" tab on their website. Can someone tell me the advantage running 100% Caterpillar equipment and pulling scrapers with D10's and D11's. For the $1.3 million or so dollars a D11 costs it seems like you could have 3 or 4 John Deere 9420's pulling two scraper pans or Case Quadtracs and Challenger scrapers pulling three scraper pans.

They must have some cash to blow if they can afford all Caterpillar.

What's your take on this company and their equipment list?

Last edited by BeetsZ71; 12-12-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,208

Re: Large Grading Contractors? McAninch Construction

I like the graphic presentation of all their equipment. Do you think I should do that on my website to show all the hammers, pry bars, screw drivers, saws, and drills we have?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,064
Send a message via AIM to rino1494

The reason they use all Cat equipment is because they work closely with Cat on research, design and especially with Trimble GPS. They are also cerified Cat mechanics.

The reason they use the Cat and can combos is because of the mud. The Cats are able to to through the mud faster and alot more efficent then a typical motor scraper or a tractor and pull pan. Also, they don't have to sit and wait for a push cat. They only use them for short hauls. If they get real long hauls, they switch over to the motor scrapers and excavator/artic combo. They did the research and found out that it is actually cheaper to replace the undercarriages on the tractors than to replace tires on the scrapers. The undercarriages actually last longer than expected because there is no blade on them and they are always going forward.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Old 12-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
--------------

Trade: Earthmoving
Rewards Points: 500

Wow...I thoroughly enjoyed visiting their website

One of the things that impressed me the most is....
Quote:
The McAninch Corporation began in 1967 when Dwayne McAninch built his first farm pond with a D7 dozer. Today, with a fleet of more than 400 Caterpillar machines, McAninch is one of the Midwest’s largest earthmoving and underground utility contractors.
Set your sights high eh! I'll bet when he was starting out if he told anyone where he thought he would be today they would have laughed at him.

Awesome! Would I ever love the opportunity to have a conversation with Dwayne. I'll bet he is a very interesting man to talk to...Although I don't think I would talk much just sit and listen.