How To Find Underground Sewer Lines

Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 868

How To Find Underground Sewer Lines

How does one go about finding an underground sewer line that T's into another sewer line?

Also, what is the distance one of those fiber optic cameras can go?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #2

Trade: GC, Sitework & Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 75

Re: How To Find Underground Sewer Lines

if the side sewer is tied into a sewer main line than the best way is to TV the main line from the nearest manhole, have them locate the side sewer tie in and mark it for you.

Depending on the size of pipe and how many bends are in the line they can usually scope about 100 ft of side sewer.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 868

ok... well I have a sanitary sewer coming off my shop, and the plumber says it has a partial collapse but with decent flow... heres the thing tho... in the 1960's way before i was even born, while my dad was building my shop, they put in the sanitary sewer on a holiday week end and tied it into another sanitary sewer that feeds an apartment complex... thing is, its somewhere in my neighbors back yard...
Old 11-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #4

Trade: Excavation, telecom
Rewards Points: 10

You maybe able to find a local dowser. I've seen my father locate all kinds of under ground utilities this way. Some don't believe, but I've seen it work to many times not to believe.
Also you maybe able to get a locating service ( think dig safe) to come out for a fee. Just run a metal snake down the line and have them connect their tone to it. Should work well. I locate telephone, power and catv like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grn_mtn_boy For This Useful Post:
dougchips (11-08-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Drainage, Waterproofing & Sewer Contractor
Rewards Points: 172

Just find a local sewer contractor or even a drain cleaner to run a push pull camera down the shops line, it can be marked at ground level giving path and depth. And even if the camera can not get thru the offset pipe you can mark the spot. We used to get $400 for most of these jobs but with so much competion these days the rate is down to $200. Length is determined by the condition and material of the pipe. We have 325 ft units but sometimes to get the full 325 we have to float some styrafoam with a string down to the city manhole then pull wire to that point, then pull the camera out for long inspection.

Last edited by Cuda; 11-06-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrPainting View Post
How does one go about finding an underground sewer line?
i've found a 210 hyundai with a 48" toothed bucket works best on clay/pvc/transite/orangeburg pipe...go right thru it, don't even know it's THERE!!!

(Denick) The only good things to learn are the things worth teaching others
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
dprimc (11-07-2010), peteo (01-26-2011), S.R.E. (11-06-2010), walkerj (01-30-2011)
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

Trade: carpenter

Might sound crazy but if you bend 2 wires in an L shape. 4” short end and about 12” long end and hold buy the short end loose, with the long end pointed in front of you, when you get on top of a pipe the wires will turn facing each other. Try it with a pipe on the ground that you can see it’s easy to do and works fairly well.
Not sure why it works a plumber show it to me years ago, and I trust it with low risk jobs. I used coat hangers, welding rods, and even ceiling wire.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,064
Send a message via AIM to rino1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty63 View Post
Might sound crazy but if you bend 2 wires in an L shape. 4 short end and about 12 long end and hold buy the short end loose, with the long end pointed in front of you, when you get on top of a pipe the wires will turn facing each other. Try it with a pipe on the ground that you can see its easy to do and works fairly well.
Not sure why it works a plumber show it to me years ago, and I trust it with low risk jobs. I used coat hangers, welding rods, and even ceiling wire.
I've heard of guys doing that to find ground water to determine where to drill their wells. I heard that it works, but have never tried it.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Stud

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 518

Our operator does that all the time holding the plastic handle from a
5 gallon bucket . Works pretty well finding water & sewer pipes. I'm more comfortable with digsafe & as built plans if they are available.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Little

I don't think that works for plastic pipe but maybe i'm wrong. I actually have seen this for the first time this year. We were brought in to repair a broken domestic line at an apartment complex. One of my guys says ill find the line right now, grabs a very thin steel wire and holds it loosely in his hand and the frikken thing actually turned in the exact location of the main i was standing there shaking my head in disbelief. That **** is crazy but def works.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Utility, sitework, and erosion control contractor
Rewards Points: 178

We call it "witchin wires". Usually you need water flowing for it to work. Usually old time farmers are the best at it since they had to find drain tiles in the middle of an open field
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
New Guy

Trade: electrical contractor

I have done quite a bit of witching lines. I always thought it had something to do with the earth's magnetic field being disturbed but don't really know. What is wierd is an old grave digger told me that he uses it to find unmarked graves and can tell if the body was male or female because in one the rods will go towards each other and in the other they go away from each other. I tried it and it works. Don't know why. It will work with copper wire also. I usally use marking flags. Just hold them loose and it will work.

Last edited by denjul; 01-26-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
operator

Trade: excavating, concrete, landscaping
Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
i've found a 210 hyundai with a 48" toothed bucket works best on clay/pvc/transite/orangeburg pipe...go right thru it, don't even know it's THERE!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #14

Trade: retired civil
Rewards Points: 25

Welding rods bent as described above, 4" +/- short legs of "L", what ever length is left for long legs of "L".
You need to hold the short legs loosely, as loose as possible, so they can swival, sometimes inward, sometimes outward, even on the same line, and just tight enough for the long legs to be level.
Works absolutely great, IF there are on overhead wires to interfer.
Why it works, no idea.
Won many a free lunch using these .

You have to "believe" that they will work for them to work.....