Hitachi EX50UR Excavator

Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #1

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 10

Hitachi EX50UR Excavator

Help. I have recently bought this machine and it now has a hydraulic oil leak appearing from around the ring gear (where cab swivels on the tracks.)
I have had the pump which controls the tracks overhauled which hasn't cured the problem. Whilst dismantling I notice there is a dipstick on the pump beside this one (for the ringgear??) which is not showing any oil despite the level indicator on the hydraulic oil reservoir varying between min and max depending on the position of the boom.
First question is whether anyone can identify the problem of where the leak is coming from. If it is the ringgear pump, can I remove it without separating the cab from the tracks.
Second question is how do I fill whatever this dipstick measures?
Any help much appreciated as I am several hours from any dealer.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 736

Re: Hitachi EX50UR Excavator

is it a thick oil, like a 80/90 weight? or lighter viscosity like hydraulic oil?

being your swing gear gearcase is empty, it'd be my guess the bottom seal is gone from where the pinion goes thru the bottom to drive the slewing ring. i'm guessing all you gotta do is, remove hyd. swing motor, should be able to do this without removing any hydraulic lines, just swing it off to the side, and then remove the gearcase, replace seal...unless you have other components within the case that are toast. all this should be able to be done without removing upper structure from undercarriage...good luck.

(Denick) The only good things to learn are the things worth teaching others
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #3

thanks for the info. Will start the dismantle later. Wish me luck
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannell View Post
thanks for the info. Will start the dismantle later. Wish me luck
Do you have any repair manuals for the machine ? Parts book ? Do you have a basket big enough to put this machine in for when you have to get it to a dealer ?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #5

Thats 3 no's.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Least he's honest!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #7

Trade: I am in partenership in a construction company specializing in pole framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
is it a thick oil, like a 80/90 weight? or lighter viscosity like hydraulic oil?

being your swing gear gearcase is empty, it'd be my guess the bottom seal is gone from where the pinion goes thru the bottom to drive the slewing ring. i'm guessing all you gotta do is, remove hyd. swing motor, should be able to do this without removing any hydraulic lines, just swing it off to the side, and then remove the gearcase, replace seal...unless you have other components within the case that are toast. all this should be able to be done without removing upper structure from undercarriage...good luck.
I too have an excavator leaking from around the turntable. Mine pours fluid off the turntable when I try to steer. I read your reply and wonder. I am not sure where the swing motor is. I have been trying to figure out the easisest way to access the center of the machine without breaking it down. By the way my machine is a grey market and the local dealership can't help me whatsoever. HELP!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #8

Trade: I am in partenership in a construction company specializing in pole framing

I am looking for a japenese mechanic. just kidding. I need a manual or a hint as to fixing a large hydraulic fluid leak. My machine is a 50urg and it pours fluid from around the turntable. What or how do you get inside to fix it. Do you take the pump off from the underneath or do you dare take a pump off near the boom on top. I just hope I don't have to seperate the machine. Please Help me everything I have keeps breaking. I think I am no longer and contractor but just a free mechanic.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

I wish i could help you, i have heard of problems like this and they leak due to wear and tear on the housing itself causing the seal to blow out or tear. I do know the first time i spot any kind of a leak around the turn table on mine i will be trading it in. I bought my machine with 5900 hours on it but it has absolutely no leaks of any kind. It does have one crack in the boom, bad pins/bushings for the bucket and some electrical gremlins but i would say this is normal for the hours. I have replaced the original battery, the original tracks and the alternator. I also removed the electric fuel shut down solenoid and i modified an old one into a manual shut-off. The one thing i did notice on mine is they cleaned the machine up fairly well and painted it/re-stickered it so it is hard to say what the paint may be hiding. I didnt notice the crack in the boom until the paint cracked and began to rust.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #10

Trade: excavating
Rewards Points: 75

[quote=k9cop;416864 Please Help me everything I have keeps breaking. I think I am no longer and contractor but just a free mechanic.[/quote]

If you're a good free mechanic then you're lucky. The guys that aren't good mechanics have to pay other people to fix their machines. All machines break, that's just a fact of this business.
Go hire some help and turn them loose to do some jobs for a while, then you'll miss the good 'ol days when all you had to do was fix the equipment that you broke.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #11

Trade: Supervisor

Well that dipstick goes into your swing gear motor there should be approx. 1 quart of oil in there. I found the best way to get the oil in there is to push it back up the drain tube. I had to make a fitting for my oil injector to connect to the drain tube treads. Either you have a leak in one of the hoses or the seal is shot. Your going to have to pull the motor out to fix the seal.
Regards
Charlie
Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #12

The pump comes out from behind the boom. Couple hours, few beer not a big job while your at it you can check your planetary gears and hoses for wear and tear. Oh don't forget to bleed the pressure off the hydro tank.
Regards
Charlie
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #13

Canell, i have a parts book for the Hitachi Ex50URG if you need any part numbers.
Regards
Charlie
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #14

Trade: Septic Tank installation

I am in desperate need of some info for hydraulic filters for my ex50urg, can anyone help. I need one under machine, it is a cartridge, where i can get and if any part numbers like wix, or napa to cross reference. Thanks Joe
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 2,982

Wix Filter Look-up.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/

You will need to know a few things about the machine, but you should be able to find what you are looking for.

www.gebcon.com
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #16

Thanks but wix lookup only has fuel filter for engine. I really need hydraulic filter info. Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #17
Contractor

You need to hit the drop down list and choose your engine type.
Then a bunch of other filters will show in the list.

www.gebcon.com
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #18

It only shows one filter (the engine oil filter) and I have even looked at Oriely at the wix book. Same thing for this model
Old 01-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Excavation Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Should be able to go into a NAPA store and give them the number on the existing filter and they can cross it. I've done it with my Komatsu Dozer (Grey Market Machine) and they have had zero problems. I personally like to to run the manufacturers filters, so you can also go to hitachi and buy the filter for the American Export version of that machine. I bet it's the same filter. Filters are not overly model specific. Micron size, thread dimensions, and volume.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
You need to hit the drop down list and choose your engine type.
Then a bunch of other filters will show in the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhest5671 View Post
It only shows one filter (the engine oil filter) and I have even looked at Oriely at the wix book. Same thing for this model
Yep, you're right. I was using the drop down incorrectly.

www.gebcon.com