Fuel Transfer Tanks - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Fuel Transfer Tanks

Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 180

Fuel Transfer Tanks

I'm going to periodically be renting skid steers and excavators going forward. It was mentioned to me that I can just have a fuel heating company come out with Diesel to refuel, but, ones I called (of course) charge a delivery fee ($45 + actual cost of diesel) that will add up. So, I'm debating getting a fuel transfer tank. I see some at tractor supply and some other places.. but, there are a bunch of choices and I don't know what will fall apart or be a pain to use. I will only be doing this a couple of times a year, maybe increasing as time goes on.

What brand/type of fuel transfer tanks do you use for refueling your equipment, and where did you get them from?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #2

Re: Fuel Transfer Tanks

To be clear, ideally I was hoping for something that will fit in the back of a Chevy 1500 long bed and that ideally can be removed fairly easily if need be.

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 832

Northern Tool has a bunch, and at good prices.

There are multiple configurations, and you need to determine what will fit in your rig. They need to be bolted in solidly.

Flow-Rite makes a good pump.

Remember that you can't carry more than 119 gallons of fuel TOTAL in your rig, without getting a Commercial License with HazMat endorsement, and licensing both the truck and the company.

Delta
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (01-14-2018)

Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 166

L shaped that fits in front of box, in front of and under cross tool box. most are around 100 gallons.

this is similar to what we used.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...IaAn38EALw_wcB
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,600

You don't need a big tank, Tractor supply has quite a few different sizes and configurations.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...transfer-tanks

I have this little one on my pickup truck. I had my welder make a cradle for the tank and tool box, I painted the tank to match the truck. It holds enough fuel for me to feed both the skid loader and mini excavator for a day.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...er-tank-37-gal

My utility truck has a 65 gallon tank that is built in to one of the tool box areas, it is a custom built setup.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,925

You really have to decide how many gallons first, and go from there. You can go anywhere from 30 gals on wheeled cart with hand pump to 300 gals with electric pump, depending on your truck.

Once you need a hazmat endorsement, your insurance is going to jump.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,600

Here is a picture of the small tank on my pickup.

It's not an ell tank and does not go under the toolbox, that is a deep box. The shallow boxes are nearly useless in my opinion, can't fit anything in them.

The cradle I had built lifts the toolbox and tank a little over 3" off the truck bed. This allows me to haul 2X material or a few sheets of plywood under the cradle so I don't have to have the tailgate down for any 8' material.

As an option I have also loaded material on top of the box, let the other end sit on the tail gate and strap 'er down.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Transfer Tanks-truck-tank.jpg  

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (01-14-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Northern Tool has a bunch, and at good prices.

There are multiple configurations, and you need to determine what will fit in your rig. They need to be bolted in solidly.

Flow-Rite makes a good pump.

Remember that you can't carry more than 119 gallons of fuel TOTAL in your rig, without getting a Commercial License with HazMat endorsement, and licensing both the truck and the company.

Delta
While correct to be clear the fuel in your factory fuel tank for your vehicle doesn't count towards this total.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Pro

we had a 600 gallon portable on a skid. anytime we moved, made sure it was empty from jobsite to jobsite.

we were told here in south dakota as long as tank was empty, we were good to go. we just had it chained to a tandem trailer until we got to next site, called fuel truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input! Any thoughts on manual vs. motorized pumps? Heavily leaning towards motorized, but, not sure how much a pita the manual pumps are since I will be using this fairly infrequently (relatively speaking.).

Also what fuel stablizers (if any) is everyone using? Dont want to waste fuel and have it go bad if it sits too long between jobs...
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
Pro

you'll get tired of manual pump quick. i'd wire pump directly into your battery so you're not dragging wires/jumper cables back to pump all the time. get auto nozzle, that gives you a time to grease up while it's filling.

only additives we put in was in winter for anti gel, a stanodyne product. do NOT get suckered into buying bio fuel.

i wouldn't waste money on additives for summer use. buy good clean fuel, keep it clean, put a filter/water separator on the hose end of your dispensing pump.

Advertisement