Dump Truck Business

Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #1

Trade: previous Ironworker/dump truck owner
Rewards Points: 10

Dump Truck Business

I am wanting to get into the dump truck business with a single axle dump truck. I am wanting to gear more towards residential. I would like to purchase a used truck and a skid steer. I am wanting to rock driveways and haul dirt for customers. I have a friend who is in the concrete business and he is trying to help me get going. I can bring in fill for his driveways and sidewalks, patios and such. I would also like to get into the demo part of it as far as ripping out old driveways and the sidewalks. I am going to try and get hooked up with the other local contractors on the area to see if I can get work form them as well. I live in illinois in a town of about 3400 and the surrounding towns are about the same. I know I am not going to get rich by any means but want to make an honest living. Is there anyone on here that has a small business like this that could give me some information or pointers. I would like to spend between 10-15000 on equipment to start out. I know that doesnt go far but I want to play it a little safe in the beginning. I can always upgrade as I build my business. Most guys around here run tandems and do big jobs. No one really does any of the small demos either. I thought this might be good for the small guy. I talked to the local quarry and they said they really dont have anyone to do the residential stuff anymore. Just thought if I could get the residential market and get hooked up with the local contractors then maybe I could make a go of it. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the info.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,862

Re: Dump Truck Business

Hey rs, it's RS!

Just a heads up, please fill out your profile including area.

What part of Illinois?

I have used a guy extensively in the remodeling biz who hauls away my demo debris to the dump in cases where the HO doesn't want a dumpster in the driveway. I usually stage it in the garage and he picks it up and takes it away.

Just an idea to fill the voids while you are getting your "real" business going.

Welcome to CT

Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #3

I live down in Marshall about mid-state. Right on the Illinois/Indiana state line.

Last edited by rs74; 02-22-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,862

I'm pretty far north for any work for you to be worthwhile, but check into the junk removal thing as a time filler.

It seems to be pretty sucessfull up here. (Construction debris, etc)

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,464
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

Not a bad idea. I was looking around for a dump truck company in my area to take care of little stuff, but stuff that was too big to just throw in the back of my pick-up. I couldn't find any companies with small dump trucks for that. So I got a quote from a fairly large excavator for $70/HR. Sounds easy to compete with if you just had a small dump truck.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 502

I do not think you are to far out of line on your budget. Equipment is cheap right now. I would check out ritchie bros auctions I have bought some things at there auctions but auctions are what they are so be careful. I would think for 8 you could get a decent used Skid steer and that leaves you some room for a dump, but not much room for a trailer. You may also want to check out trader online a lot of people this time of year are selling and you may find a deal, truck trailer and the works.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

When I talked to the quarry they said most people charge 40-50 dollars for a load right in town. Is there any kind of (truckers code) that is followed if it is so many miles out of town then is x amount of dollars. This amount of milles = this amount of dollars on top of the initial 40-50.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #8

wyoming, I was kinda thinking the same thing except I didnt think I could pick up a skid steer for that cheap. As far as a truck I would like to find a diesel topkick or kodiak. I have also been looking at the freightliner fl70, but they are a little more money. I seen a john deere 320s skid for 11,900. I guess I should still start out on the small side and can always grow. A friend of mine is pushing for me to buy a local 1985 chevy c60? gasser. They are asking 3500 but has been sitting for awhile. could probably get for 2500. There is also a john deere 90 skid loader for for 3500 in town, just seems to small for what I would need especially if I need a jackhammer on front of it to bust up some concrete. I would like to have something a little newer, diesel, and in better shape. I think better looks means better perception to alot of people. Not that I am going out and buying top of the line. I just think a little nicer equipment means less maintenace and just looks all around better.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #9

Trade: Electrician and Excavating Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I'd make sure the truck has passed a DOT Inspection before I bought it. Just getting started it would suck to have to pay for a bunch of repairs to make the government happy after you used all your money to buy the truck.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #10

I just checked on plates for the truck up to 33,000# and they are not quite 1000 dollars. I havent checked on insurance yet so not sure what that will run. What kind of fees can I expect for a DOT number and to have a truck inspected. I am not sure not sure but I think we have to be inspected twice a year.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 2,100

trucks, you cuss em, or lay underneath em

(Denick) The only good things to learn are the things worth teaching others
Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: septic installer, site work
Rewards Points: 150

"trucks, you cuss em, or lay underneath em" isnt that the truth.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,056
Send a message via AIM to rino1494

hmmmm..........this topic sounds familiar.

Oh yeah !!!!

http://www.contractortalk.com/f62/du...usiness-70938/

There are alot of truck sitting right now not moving and alot for sale.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #14

Well what do you guys think of getting work from building contractors. If you have a concrete guy who needs some sidewalks tore out or a driveway. You can use the skid steer to help do that and charge for the hauling off. Then you can bring in fill. A guy has to have minimum trip charge so it doesnt matter if it 2 ton or 20 ton atleast you can get some of that work. I am not trying to say that you can make a good living off of a truck and skidsteer, but I think a guy could do pretty good. I think you would have to diversify a little. Maybe start cleaning ditches out have a little mulch on the side. I dont believe the hauling itself will make it on its own. That why you get another piece of equipment to help out. I could always try to pick up a few accounts doing some mowing as well. You never know it could always turn into a lawncare business and you could do some hauling on the side. But all in all I just wanted some of you guys opinions that have been down this road and I appreciate what I have gotten thus far.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 264

Every mason and lanscaper has a skid steer and small dump so if you can compete with that than go for it. Most have a mini ex too so that idea has been played out in my area.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #16

Trade: Electrician and Excavating Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Another thing...If you are hauling other peoples material (not your own material for your own jobs) there is more hoops you have to jump through with the DOT. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you need a MCC # and your own operating authority? I have no idea how hard or expensive it is to get these. If you go through with that it would probably pay much better to buy a semi and a dump trailer and haul some real weight. Haul dirt, and stone when you can and grain during harvest time. If you have to follow all the rules of a trucking company you may as well be a trucking company Just my $.02
Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
New Guy

Trade: earthmoving,excavating,drainage

Big Chris has good points, don't forget your in Illinois. Don't matter how big it is you will be doing a lot of running around Springfield just to get your license. Springfield lives on regs.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 528

Here's an ad I saw today on Craig'slist. Should give some insight into dump truck business.

1999 EHD_HOOD Peterbilt Dump truck with a 12yd V-bottom bed. $29500.00 OBO
12.7 Detroit 430/470 Hp 502*** ECM Miles
Super 10 transmission
4.33 Eaton Rears
Pair of 150 Gal fuel tanks
11R 24.5 steers
Low pro 24.5 drives
low air leaf suspension
American class interior
I just put a starter, block heater, 4 new batteries, 2 new air filters, $800 low pro leather Bostrom seat and 4 new air bags
The truck runs awesome and looks really good when cleaned up. I'm only selling it because I'm flat broke need to sell but I may be broke but I will not give it away. Have any questions call 405-708-8784 Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
New Guy

Trade: Excavation

Only way this works if you have a relationship with a owner of a company that employs you fulltime and you have a driver completely dedicated to his job. Your going to NEED a dedicated driver and a reliable truck to make this work. You cant short yourself on any of previous stated. A single axle is worthless when a tandem operator does the same thing.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #20
New Guy

Trade: Excavation

To add if you dont have experience dont apply. Its a tuff crowd and by showing up with little experience your the first to not get called back. Take care of the little guys they are grapevine off all tradeskills.