Cat 304 Pins And Bushings Buying

Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Roofing / Masonry
Rewards Points: 44

Cat 304 Pins And Bushings Buying

So I had another thread about pins and bushing damage. Turns out I got lucky and I can just replace the pins and bushings. I would like to do all 4 lower pins and bushings while I have it apart, but the price of these things is astronomical. Does anyone have any other outlets to get them than Cat ? There is an Ebay guy too in NY but still crazy money. I could have some made but since they are worn how would we know what size to make, unless the parts book calls out sizes, was thinking of getting one. I know Mitsubishi makes these mini's but can't find a comparable Mitsubishi model and probably were never sold in the states.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 1,548

Re: Cat 304 Pins And Bushings Buying

Sweetness of low price never equals the bitterness of poor quality.

Make sure the cheapies you're looking at are the same quality steel, hardened the same as the OEM.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
mtnxtreme (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
So I had another thread about pins and bushing damage. Turns out I got lucky and I can just replace the pins and bushings. I would like to do all 4 lower pins and bushings while I have it apart, but the price of these things is astronomical. Does anyone have any other outlets to get them than Cat ? There is an Ebay guy too in NY but still crazy money. I could have some made but since they are worn how would we know what size to make, unless the parts book calls out sizes, was thinking of getting one. I know Mitsubishi makes these mini's but can't find a comparable Mitsubishi model and probably were never sold in the states.
Those "cheap" excavators available for purchase at auctions, etc are rarely cheap in the long run. How much does CAT want for the pins and bushings?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 622

Cat parts are expensive, always have been.

www.gebcon.com
Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 320

If you can't afford to replace something as simple as the pins & bushings with OEM factory spec stuff, then you should consider selling it and renting as needed in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
dayexco (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 8,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme View Post
Good Lord -what do you call astronomical?

I see an ebay set for 400 bucks. Hell, a complete oil & lube field service on my old 426 CAT hoe is more than that.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Roofing / Masonry
Rewards Points: 44

Cat wants $800 for all 4 lower pins and bushing with seals etc. The machine didn't come from the auction, and I never said I couldn't afford it, just said I didn't want to be raped. This stuff is way overpriced, especially when pins for bigger machines that are twice as big are half as much money. Its supply and demand I guess.

Advertisement