Cast Iron Pipe - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Cast Iron Pipe

Old 05-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: excavating / concrete / masonry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Cast Iron Pipe

Anybody still run into a job using cast iron?

I was moving some stuff the other day and all my tools for doing cast iron. The cutter and puller. Even the lead pots, laddles and packing spoons. Even a coil of oakum ( don't even remember how to spell it).

The rubber gaskets were a big improvement. At least I never had a bow to a cast iron pipe.

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" Albert Einstein

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Cast Iron Pipe

oakum? that's getting harder to come by....we use it if we have a manhole leaking....drill 3/4" hole thru manhole next to leak to take the pressure off what's leaking....quick set the leak, then pack the 3/4" hole with oakum til it stops leaking, and quick set that hole...oakum is wonderful stuff

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Nick,
We're required to go through the foundation and 5' out from it before changing to sdr35, luckily we don't have to go cast iron all the way to often, when we do we use the rubber gaskets and I use the plumbers puller.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Pro

Joe,

Is that sewer and septic? What towns?

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" Albert Einstein
Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Pro

Sewer.............Greenwich, New Canaan, and I also do it in Stamford. The septics I always use sched. 40, although in Greenwich I still stub out with C.I.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Pro

I know we always used to stub out with C. I. down there but I've never seen any plumber up here use it. We have used it for a couple of problem jobs just for the comfort factor. Talking to some of the younger plumbers they don't seem to even know how it would be used.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Pro

To top things off in Greenwich they want a sleeve used for anything that goes through the foundation 2 sizes bigger than the pipe that you're using. What I do is give the foundation contr. a 8" sdr 35 gasketed coupling to place in the forms ( just right length for 10" thick wall ). When I do the sewer I start with a short pc. of 8" sdr35, then 8" to 6" ferco reducer, then a pc. of 6" sdr35, then a 6" to 4" fernco reducer, I slide the 4" c.i. right through the hole shabang and tighten the 4" fernco around the c.i.. They want the pipes going through the foundation to be able to move, actually this described mess seems to work quit well. For the water line I give the foundation contr. a pc of 3" conduit with a coupling glued on each end so it totals 10" then just keep using fencos to get down to the copper size being used.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
Pro

Day,

If oakum worked on all those sailing ships for hundreds of years it stood the test of time.

Years back we were putting a sewer lateral in for a new Burger King on Highridge Road in Stamford CT. We had to cross three lanes of traffic with a 10" concrete road with 6" of asphalt top to get to the main and go under a 60" storm sewer. When we got near the storm sewer water started to come in faster than it could be pumped. We opened the manhole to the storm drain and there was 36" of water flowing through it. The town wasn't going to do anything to help. We had three lanes of traffic closed down, the trench was starting to get unstable. So I went down in the drain and packed the two closest joints with oakum. the water slowed to a trickle. Went home abut 1PM that night. And I don't swim.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Pro

Joe,

I don't care what people say about you. Your a pretty smart guy.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Pro

Nick,
Thats what they call Yankee Ingenuity.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
Pro

OH, So your a Yankee's fan?

Old 05-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Pro

No, I'm a Red Sox Fan, but I wouldn't bet my life on them in a Series

Nick, Qtr. to 5K.............what am I talking about?

Last edited by jmic; 05-13-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
Pro

Boy I'm glad there's finally something we disagree on.

66 to 2500--1/2 to 5000?

Last edited by denick; 05-13-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Pro

Nick,
Do you go into Mass. and N.Y. for jobs? And How long you been up in that area? There use to be a guy up that way that sold Log Cabins, He still up there?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
Pro

We may do 2-3 jobs a year in NY, and MA. I've been here 21 years. There is a place in Sheffield MA off rte 7 on the left that does logs. Gingras? I think is the name.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #16
Pro

This place I'm thinking about was before you get to Canaan off rt 7 and the corner of a side rd., would be on your right if you were coming my way.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Pro

Joe,

Not that I can remember.

Go Yankee's

Old 05-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #18
Pro

Nick,
You have to admit the Yankees are over rated, and over paid
Old 05-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
Pro