Bobcat E32 For Digging Basement In Glacial Till

Old 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 164

Bobcat E32 For Digging Basement In Glacial Till

What is everyone's opinion on using a Bobcat E32 digging out a walk-out basement with glacial till (rocky, sandy soil)? I need the smaller machine (Bobcat E32 rental) to cut in the driveway as I don't have much clearance to the road and it is on a pretty steep slope right next to the road before it levels out (also, unloading a large machine without having the driveway may be an issue.)

Was originally going to rent a bigger machine for the basement, but, since I will have the E32 on site anyway, was thinking about just using that for everything. Was planning on using a class 4 36" bucket and a 39" grading bucket. Will be using the dirt nearby to fill in some areas so don't need to load anything to haul it away... If it takes a bit longer it isn't a /huge/ deal as I'm timing this between jobs.. If it is like pulling teeth, I might rethink this though.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 1,916

Re: Bobcat E32 For Digging Basement In Glacial Till

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumflux View Post
What is everyone's opinion on using a Bobcat E32 digging out a walk-out basement with glacial till (rocky, sandy soil)? I need the smaller machine (Bobcat E32 rental) to cut in the driveway as I don't have much clearance to the road and it is on a pretty steep slope right next to the road before it levels out (also, unloading a large machine without having the driveway may be an issue.)

Was originally going to rent a bigger machine for the basement, but, since I will have the E32 on site anyway, was thinking about just using that for everything. Was planning on using a class 4 36" bucket and a 39" grading bucket. Will be using the dirt nearby to fill in some areas so don't need to load anything to haul it away... If it takes a bit longer it isn't a /huge/ deal as I'm timing this between jobs.. If it is like pulling teeth, I might rethink this though.

why not dig it with a tracked skiddy? probably be faster

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,958

Going to be real slow
The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (02-11-2018)

Old 02-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 960

I don't know how well that e32 will handle those wide buckets. I've rented one a few times and a 24" bucket was plenty of work for that small machine.

An e35 is the same carrier but a bit more capable machine, but even something like an e45 or e50 is not even 7 feet wide but would work circles around that e32 and should not be an issue for your driveway. These mini's have rubber tracks so unloading in the street shouldn't be an issue.

I guess the correct answer is yes, you can use the 32 to dig your foundation hole, but it will take a while, if time is on your side, go for it.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #5

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 164

Dayexo: I need to remove some stumps as well, so prob. can't use a skid. Also, it's pretty rocky so might have a tougher time with it.

tgeb: The attachment chart on bobcat's website says it can use a 36" bucket which is where I got that. I'll take your advice and do a 24" though.

I was looking at the smaller machine because the road has no real shoulder on the side with the driveway, somewhat limited visibility and people fly around it, so, not keen on sticking out into the road with a bigger machine.

My plan was to either try to climb up the slope (pulling myself with the bucket) and cut it from the top, or sitting at the bottom next to the road cutting down the slope if I can fit without sticking in the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to quantumflux For This Useful Post:
tgeb (02-12-2018)