Washing Cedar Shake Roof

Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 2,000

Washing Cedar Shake Roof

What would be the best product to use to wash a cedar shake roof? I'm thinking oxalic acid or just using bleach. Any suggestions or other chemicals I could use?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 6,264

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof

Christian would know from Magic Pool Service. I think that they do pressure washing and roof cleaning.

Originally Posted by maninthesea View Post
Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion
And yes, I am not afraid to admit I like Mike Holmes!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Pro

http://www.magicexteriorcleaning.com...es-in-orlando/
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 188

You want to use a sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and soap mix (dawn original, not the ultra concentrated). If you use store bought bleach (6%) you do not want to water it down much at all. You want to use the smallest amount of sodium hypochlorite you possibly can, so do a couple of test areas to figure out the weakest mix you can use. The sodium hypochlorite is what kills plants. Wet anything with fresh water before, during, and after your application that will come in contact with any over spray. If you are wanting to bring the color back to the shakes after cleaning you will have to rinse the roof thoroughly then apply the oxalic. Sodium hypochlorite and Oxalic do not mix together! So do not try it!

Others are going to come on here saying you need to add this and that to your mix (TSP, Borax, Rubbing alcohol, Vinegar, etc..), I have tried most and can not tell any difference in adding them.

I would try 7 parts bleach(store bought 6%) to 3 parts water with about 10 ounces of Dawn in that 10 gallons, and then adjust as needed. You are much better off applying your mix twice then killing plants. So only make it strong enough to clean in 5 to 10 minutes dwell time. If the very worst areas are cleaning without having to reapply then I know I have my mix to strong and I water it down a bit.

The bleach is what actually gets rid of the stains, the soap is in there to add cling so the bleach does not runoff to quickly. You could use a pump up sprayer or buy a setup like this: http://www.pressuretek.com/de58secorocl.html with a set-up like this you do not even have to get on the roof, you can spray almost all homes from the ladder at the edge (20-30' spray). If you use a pump up sprayer you will waste alot less mix and have a lot less over spray/runoff. But, you have to walk the roof and you turn a 2-3hr job into a 5-8hr job.

If you have gutters that will catch the runoff then tape some big trash bags to the drains to catch it. Also make sure you have someone walking around with a garden hose watering anything that is getting overspray on it.

Good luck

Last edited by PowerWash; 04-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PowerWash For This Useful Post:
ChimneyHill (05-02-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
You want to use a sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and soap mix (dawn original, not the ultra concentrated). If you use store bought bleach (6%) you do not want to water it down much at all. You want to use the smallest amount of sodium hypochlorite you possibly can, so do a couple of test areas to figure out the weakest mix you can use. The sodium hypochlorite is what kills plants. Wet anything with fresh water before, during, and after your application that will come in contact with any over spray. If you are wanting to bring the color back to the shakes after cleaning you will have to rinse the roof thoroughly then apply the oxalic. Sodium hypochlorite and Oxalic do not mix together! So do not try it!

Others are going to come on here saying you need to add this and that to your mix (TSP, Borax, Rubbing alcohol, Vinegar, etc..), I have tried most and can not tell any difference in adding them.

I would try 7 parts bleach(store bought 6%) to 3 parts water with about 10 ounces of Dawn in that 10 gallons, and then adjust as needed. You are much better off applying your mix twice then killing plants. So only make it strong enough to clean in 5 to 10 minutes dwell time. If the very worst areas are cleaning without having to reapply then I know I have my mix to strong and I water it down a bit.

The bleach is what actually gets rid of the stains, the soap is in there to add cling so the bleach does not runoff to quickly. You could use a pump up sprayer or buy a setup like this: http://www.pressuretek.com/de58secorocl.html with a set-up like this you do not even have to get on the roof, you can spray almost all homes from the ladder at the edge (20-30' spray). If you use a pump up sprayer you will waste alot less mix and have a lot less over spray/runoff. But, you have to walk the roof and you turn a 2-3hr job into a 5-8hr job.

If you have gutters that will catch the runoff then tape some big trash bags to the drains to catch it. Also make sure you have someone walking around with a garden hose watering anything that is getting overspray on it.

Good luck
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 2,510

I agree, great post. Now I just need to find some shakes to clean.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Pro

So I went and washed the roof. Used bleach and soap. It came out real nice. The HO was really pleased. As the roof was being washed the neighbor came out and wanted her house washed as well. So it was a really good day but, get this... As the HO was talking to my wife about getting her house washed a guy in a pick up pulls up and starts telling the HO that he has been going behind us in that subdivision fixing roofs that we had damaged. WTF? That roof is the only roof we have done in that subdivision and only the second one we have ever done. My wifer couldn't hear what he was saying over the pressure washer but, when the guy left the neighbor told her what he said and handed her his card. So do I call the guy and say hey what's up with you slandering my company or not?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by summithomeinc View Post
So I went and washed the roof. Used bleach and soap. It came out real nice. The HO was really pleased. As the roof was being washed the neighbor came out and wanted her house washed as well. So it was a really good day but, get this... As the HO was talking to my wife about getting her house washed a guy in a pick up pulls up and starts telling the HO that he has been going behind us in that subdivision fixing roofs that we had damaged. WTF? That roof is the only roof we have done in that subdivision and only the second one we have ever done. My wifer couldn't hear what he was saying over the pressure washer but, when the guy left the neighbor told her what he said and handed her his card. So do I call the guy and say hey what's up with you slandering my company or not?
Hell yeah! Tell him that you have contacted your lawyer and are considering suing him for slander unless he goes back to your customer and explain to them that he was wrong about your company.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Pro

BTW, glad that it came out nice and that you were able to pick up another roof.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Pro

I was actually thinking about calling and setting up an appointment for a bid. Maybe be a no show and ruin a day for him. Then telling him what I really think.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Chris

Sorry I missed this earlier. Glad the roof turned out good!

That type of guy is the lowest form of a contractor in my opinion!!!

I do not bad mouth other contractors... even when I know they did a bad job. The worst I will say is "I would not have done it that way" or " that is not how we do it".

It does us no good to bad mouth each other. Homeowners are smart people and they eventually figure it out on there own... Or I educate them

With all that said, that dude would have been hearing from my attorney, at his expense.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Chris

In hindsight this mix was a bit weak for cleaning roofs... But it was for shakes and they are way more sensitive then shingles or tile roofs. If you have shingles that are badly discolored/black streaks this type of mix will clean it up with amazing results. It is in my opinion most effective ARMA approved method of cleaning shingle roofs.

With all that said, I do not clean roofs any more. It does and will kill landscaping eventually. There is a ton of money to be made in that side of the exterior cleaning business. But, it comes with risks that I am not willing to take. I want all my customers happy with my services... I do not like the 1 in 20 odds of having to replace a row of boxwoods and sod to make my customers happy. I am slowly phasing out all the residential cleaning anyway, and that was the best place to start.

Good Luck... Just make sure you charge enough to CYA

Last edited by PowerWash; 05-08-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #13

Trade: general engineering
Rewards Points: 10

Pardon me for reviving an old thread

I read that bleach is not recommended due to the harm it can do to plants below etc. The "safe" alternative is Oxi-clean or a host of similar products out there claiming to safely wash cedar while avoiding the supposed horrible side effects of standard bleach. As we know those are hydrogen peroxide.

Common sense tells me that a weaker bleach solution will not harm the plants since bleach will basically be neutralized once it has done it's job on the roof. It basically turns to salt.

So the question is basically directed at the guys in the roof cleaning business: Is hydrogen peroxide based product a safer, and as effective, alternative in anyway to say a 6% bleach solution?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineiron View Post

I read that bleach is not recommended due to the harm it can do to plants below etc. The "safe" alternative is Oxi-clean or a host of similar products out there claiming to safely wash cedar while avoiding the supposed horrible side effects of standard bleach. As we know those are hydrogen peroxide.

Common sense tells me that a weaker bleach solution will not harm the plants since bleach will basically be neutralized once it has done it's job on the roof. It basically turns to salt.

So the question is basically directed at the guys in the roof cleaning business: Is hydrogen peroxide based product a safer, and as effective, alternative in anyway to say a 6% bleach solution?
How is it you join 2/11 and don't make a post, not a single post, till 8/12? Just curious?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Ink Slinger

Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineiron View Post

We use less than a 6% solution on the roof.

Bleach is used by successful roof cleaning contractors.

The other stuff you refer to is used by people trying to sell you something.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #16

Trade: general engineering
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
We use less than a 6% solution on the roof.

Bleach is used by successful roof cleaning contractors.

The other stuff you refer to is used by people trying to sell you something.
Yes as I addressed in the post the other stuff is basically hydrogen peroxide under a number of different "brand names." So again, has anyone compared hydrogen peroxide to bleach on Cedar here on the forums, and what was the results?

If you run with less than 6% what percentage would you recommend to revive the ole cedar shingles?