Washing Cedar Shake Roof

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Pro
 
summithomeinc's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Ga.
Posts: 2,570
Rewards Points: 2,000

Washing Cedar Shake Roof


What would be the best product to use to wash a cedar shake roof? I'm thinking oxalic acid or just using bleach. Any suggestions or other chemicals I could use?
__________________
I need more tools.
summithomeinc is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Pro
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 8,722
Rewards Points: 6,264

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Christian would know from Magic Pool Service. I think that they do pressure washing and roof cleaning.

__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthesea View Post
Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion
And yes, I am not afraid to admit I like Mike Holmes!
TNTSERVICES is online now  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Pro
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 8,722
Rewards Points: 6,264

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


http://www.magicexteriorcleaning.com...es-in-orlando/
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthesea View Post
Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion
And yes, I am not afraid to admit I like Mike Holmes!
TNTSERVICES is online now  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 258
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


You want to use a sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and soap mix (dawn original, not the ultra concentrated). If you use store bought bleach (6%) you do not want to water it down much at all. You want to use the smallest amount of sodium hypochlorite you possibly can, so do a couple of test areas to figure out the weakest mix you can use. The sodium hypochlorite is what kills plants. Wet anything with fresh water before, during, and after your application that will come in contact with any over spray. If you are wanting to bring the color back to the shakes after cleaning you will have to rinse the roof thoroughly then apply the oxalic. Sodium hypochlorite and Oxalic do not mix together! So do not try it!

Others are going to come on here saying you need to add this and that to your mix (TSP, Borax, Rubbing alcohol, Vinegar, etc..), I have tried most and can not tell any difference in adding them.

I would try 7 parts bleach(store bought 6%) to 3 parts water with about 10 ounces of Dawn in that 10 gallons, and then adjust as needed. You are much better off applying your mix twice then killing plants. So only make it strong enough to clean in 5 to 10 minutes dwell time. If the very worst areas are cleaning without having to reapply then I know I have my mix to strong and I water it down a bit.

The bleach is what actually gets rid of the stains, the soap is in there to add cling so the bleach does not runoff to quickly. You could use a pump up sprayer or buy a setup like this: http://www.pressuretek.com/de58secorocl.html with a set-up like this you do not even have to get on the roof, you can spray almost all homes from the ladder at the edge (20-30' spray). If you use a pump up sprayer you will waste alot less mix and have a lot less over spray/runoff. But, you have to walk the roof and you turn a 2-3hr job into a 5-8hr job.

If you have gutters that will catch the runoff then tape some big trash bags to the drains to catch it. Also make sure you have someone walking around with a garden hose watering anything that is getting overspray on it.

Good luck
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing

Last edited by PowerWash; 04-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
PowerWash is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PowerWash For This Useful Post:
ChimneyHill (05-02-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Pro
 
summithomeinc's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Ga.
Posts: 2,570
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
You want to use a sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and soap mix (dawn original, not the ultra concentrated). If you use store bought bleach (6%) you do not want to water it down much at all. You want to use the smallest amount of sodium hypochlorite you possibly can, so do a couple of test areas to figure out the weakest mix you can use. The sodium hypochlorite is what kills plants. Wet anything with fresh water before, during, and after your application that will come in contact with any over spray. If you are wanting to bring the color back to the shakes after cleaning you will have to rinse the roof thoroughly then apply the oxalic. Sodium hypochlorite and Oxalic do not mix together! So do not try it!

Others are going to come on here saying you need to add this and that to your mix (TSP, Borax, Rubbing alcohol, Vinegar, etc..), I have tried most and can not tell any difference in adding them.

I would try 7 parts bleach(store bought 6%) to 3 parts water with about 10 ounces of Dawn in that 10 gallons, and then adjust as needed. You are much better off applying your mix twice then killing plants. So only make it strong enough to clean in 5 to 10 minutes dwell time. If the very worst areas are cleaning without having to reapply then I know I have my mix to strong and I water it down a bit.

The bleach is what actually gets rid of the stains, the soap is in there to add cling so the bleach does not runoff to quickly. You could use a pump up sprayer or buy a setup like this: http://www.pressuretek.com/de58secorocl.html with a set-up like this you do not even have to get on the roof, you can spray almost all homes from the ladder at the edge (20-30' spray). If you use a pump up sprayer you will waste alot less mix and have a lot less over spray/runoff. But, you have to walk the roof and you turn a 2-3hr job into a 5-8hr job.

If you have gutters that will catch the runoff then tape some big trash bags to the drains to catch it. Also make sure you have someone walking around with a garden hose watering anything that is getting overspray on it.

Good luck
Thanks for the info.
__________________
I need more tools.
summithomeinc is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,461
Rewards Points: 2,510

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


I agree, great post. Now I just need to find some shakes to clean.
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Pro
 
summithomeinc's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Ga.
Posts: 2,570
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


So I went and washed the roof. Used bleach and soap. It came out real nice. The HO was really pleased. As the roof was being washed the neighbor came out and wanted her house washed as well. So it was a really good day but, get this... As the HO was talking to my wife about getting her house washed a guy in a pick up pulls up and starts telling the HO that he has been going behind us in that subdivision fixing roofs that we had damaged. WTF? That roof is the only roof we have done in that subdivision and only the second one we have ever done. My wifer couldn't hear what he was saying over the pressure washer but, when the guy left the neighbor told her what he said and handed her his card. So do I call the guy and say hey what's up with you slandering my company or not?
__________________
I need more tools.
summithomeinc is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Pro
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 8,722
Rewards Points: 6,264

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Quote:
Originally Posted by summithomeinc View Post
So I went and washed the roof. Used bleach and soap. It came out real nice. The HO was really pleased. As the roof was being washed the neighbor came out and wanted her house washed as well. So it was a really good day but, get this... As the HO was talking to my wife about getting her house washed a guy in a pick up pulls up and starts telling the HO that he has been going behind us in that subdivision fixing roofs that we had damaged. WTF? That roof is the only roof we have done in that subdivision and only the second one we have ever done. My wifer couldn't hear what he was saying over the pressure washer but, when the guy left the neighbor told her what he said and handed her his card. So do I call the guy and say hey what's up with you slandering my company or not?
Hell yeah! Tell him that you have contacted your lawyer and are considering suing him for slander unless he goes back to your customer and explain to them that he was wrong about your company.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthesea View Post
Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion
And yes, I am not afraid to admit I like Mike Holmes!
TNTSERVICES is online now  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Pro
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 8,722
Rewards Points: 6,264

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


BTW, glad that it came out nice and that you were able to pick up another roof.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthesea View Post
Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion
And yes, I am not afraid to admit I like Mike Holmes!
TNTSERVICES is online now  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Pro
 
summithomeinc's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Ga.
Posts: 2,570
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


I was actually thinking about calling and setting up an appointment for a bid. Maybe be a no show and ruin a day for him. Then telling him what I really think.
__________________
I need more tools.
summithomeinc is offline  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 258
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Sorry I missed this earlier. Glad the roof turned out good!

That type of guy is the lowest form of a contractor in my opinion!!!

I do not bad mouth other contractors... even when I know they did a bad job. The worst I will say is "I would not have done it that way" or " that is not how we do it".

It does us no good to bad mouth each other. Homeowners are smart people and they eventually figure it out on there own... Or I educate them

With all that said, that dude would have been hearing from my attorney, at his expense.
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing
PowerWash is offline  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 258
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


In hindsight this mix was a bit weak for cleaning roofs... But it was for shakes and they are way more sensitive then shingles or tile roofs. If you have shingles that are badly discolored/black streaks this type of mix will clean it up with amazing results. It is in my opinion most effective ARMA approved method of cleaning shingle roofs.

With all that said, I do not clean roofs any more. It does and will kill landscaping eventually. There is a ton of money to be made in that side of the exterior cleaning business. But, it comes with risks that I am not willing to take. I want all my customers happy with my services... I do not like the 1 in 20 odds of having to replace a row of boxwoods and sod to make my customers happy. I am slowly phasing out all the residential cleaning anyway, and that was the best place to start.

Good Luck... Just make sure you charge enough to CYA
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing

Last edited by PowerWash; 05-08-2012 at 11:30 PM.
PowerWash is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Registered User
 
nineiron's Avatar
 
Trade: general engineering
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Pardon me for reviving an old thread

I read that bleach is not recommended due to the harm it can do to plants below etc. The "safe" alternative is Oxi-clean or a host of similar products out there claiming to safely wash cedar while avoiding the supposed horrible side effects of standard bleach. As we know those are hydrogen peroxide.

Common sense tells me that a weaker bleach solution will not harm the plants since bleach will basically be neutralized once it has done it's job on the roof. It basically turns to salt.

So the question is basically directed at the guys in the roof cleaning business: Is hydrogen peroxide based product a safer, and as effective, alternative in anyway to say a 6% bleach solution?
nineiron is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Pro
 
summithomeinc's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cumming, Ga.
Posts: 2,570
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Quote:
Originally Posted by nineiron View Post
Pardon me for reviving an old thread

I read that bleach is not recommended due to the harm it can do to plants below etc. The "safe" alternative is Oxi-clean or a host of similar products out there claiming to safely wash cedar while avoiding the supposed horrible side effects of standard bleach. As we know those are hydrogen peroxide.

Common sense tells me that a weaker bleach solution will not harm the plants since bleach will basically be neutralized once it has done it's job on the roof. It basically turns to salt.

So the question is basically directed at the guys in the roof cleaning business: Is hydrogen peroxide based product a safer, and as effective, alternative in anyway to say a 6% bleach solution?
How is it you join 2/11 and don't make a post, not a single post, till 8/12? Just curious?
__________________
I need more tools.
summithomeinc is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Ink Slinger
 
Timo's Avatar
 
Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 158
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Quote:
Originally Posted by nineiron View Post
Pardon me for reviving an old thread

I read that bleach is not recommended due to the harm it can do to plants below etc. The "safe" alternative is Oxi-clean or a host of similar products out there claiming to safely wash cedar while avoiding the supposed horrible side effects of standard bleach. As we know those are hydrogen peroxide.

Common sense tells me that a weaker bleach solution will not harm the plants since bleach will basically be neutralized once it has done it's job on the roof. It basically turns to salt.

So the question is basically directed at the guys in the roof cleaning business: Is hydrogen peroxide based product a safer, and as effective, alternative in anyway to say a 6% bleach solution?
We use less than a 6% solution on the roof.

Bleach is used by successful roof cleaning contractors.

The other stuff you refer to is used by people trying to sell you something.
Timo is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
Registered User
 
nineiron's Avatar
 
Trade: general engineering
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Washing Cedar Shake Roof


Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
We use less than a 6% solution on the roof.

Bleach is used by successful roof cleaning contractors.

The other stuff you refer to is used by people trying to sell you something.
Yes as I addressed in the post the other stuff is basically hydrogen peroxide under a number of different "brand names." So again, has anyone compared hydrogen peroxide to bleach on Cedar here on the forums, and what was the results?

If you run with less than 6% what percentage would you recommend to revive the ole cedar shingles?

nineiron is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torch down(flat roof) leaks BAD...can you give advice ASAP? Detail Guy Roofing 22 01-05-2013 05:42 PM
Roof Estimating And Drawing Program Ed the Roofer Roofing 32 03-07-2011 09:50 AM
Repainting cedar shake SamM Painting & Finish Work 6 05-20-2010 09:11 PM
Cedar shake spacing? ribuilder Carpentry 7 01-31-2009 09:26 PM
Metal roof question Burby Roofing 11 01-22-2009 12:16 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?