How Do The Roofing Manufacturers Say To Clean Roofing? Like This=

Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #1

Trade: Roof etc cleaning
Rewards Points: 25

How Do The Roofing Manufacturers Say To Clean Roofing? Like This=

This Is The Roofing Manufacturers Method Below: Check it yourself. It says not to pressure wash!

You have probably heard all the new fad "GO GREEN" "Biofoam" "Bio Degradable" "Eco-Friendly" roof cleaning pitches that have cropped up recently. Or the $$ making Roof-A-Side type programs, that keep guys walking on your roof once or twice a year to maintain clean appearances?

They try to convince unknowing homeowners that chlorine bleach should not be used on roofing to clean with.
The reason is, they know that chlorine is the industry standard and what the manufacturers allow roofs to be cleaned with under warranty.
However, there are many, many real professionals cleaning roofs properly with chlorine-per manufacturer instructions.

So, these new start up companies try to get work by telling lies about chlorine use. But you won't see them posting a roofing manufacturer that suggests their chemicals or pressure washing, because none do.

It's their way to fool you into thinking you are helping save the environment!
What is more damaging to the environment? - chlorine, which is everywhere and turns back into plain salt when it dries?
Or roofing shingles in dump sites, because they only lasted a 1/2 life, due to improper cleaning methods? DON'T BE FOOLED!

Here are the facts from The Roofing Manufacturers Themselves.
It's your warranty, you can listen to the green salesman and pressure washing guys, who can blast the discolorations [ along with your roofs granules etc ] off from your roof, or to those who make the roofing and honor warranties or void them. { Incidentaly, I am not against pressure cleaning! It is perfect for all exterior cleaning other than roofs. I have been a pressure washing contractor since 1978 - I just know better than to pressure clean fragile roofing ! }
Here you go! I could easily supply more proof, but this is pretty obvious, I'd say.

From GAF Roofing Manufacturers about black algae removal:

http://www.gaf.com/Documents/Algae_S...-43-808-v3.pdf

Below is a partial "cut and paste" excerpt from GAF on how to clean a roof:

"If a new roof is not an option, GAF recommends cleaning the roof with a special mixture. That mixture is:
4 gallons of water, 1 gallon of bleach and 1 cup of TSP"

"What NOT To Do! Do not power wash the shingles to clean the shingles. Some roof cleaning companies offer this service.
However, it is not recommended."

From ARMA roofing manufacturers Association-how to clean roofing.

http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

Below is a partial excerpt cut and pasted below from ARMA:

Algae discolorations to remove from roofing surfaces, applying a solution of
chlorine bleach, trisodium phosphate, and water. Solutions for these ingredients depend on the amount of discoloration. Solutions range to one cup TSP and 2.5 gallons each of bleach and water.
First, gently disperse this solution on the roofing surface. Avoid scrubbing the surface, as this friction may loosen and remove granules.
Caution!
High pressure washing systems for algae removal should not be used.

Owens Corning Roofing manufacturers says the same thing:

"USE CHLORINE and TSP" "DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER"

Owens Corning info in link below.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=36077811

So, those who manufacture your roofing and warranty your roofing are the folks to listen to!

Not those who pressure wash roofs, or try to sell you a so called "Green" Eco-Friendly" chemical.

We clean roofs ONLY by the roofing manufacturers methods, so your warranty will not be voided!

WE ARE RCIA CERTIFIED ROOF CLEANERS: ROOF CLEANING INSTITUTE OF AMERICA. LINK BELOW:

http://roof-cleaning-institute.activ...1055740&page=1

With years of experience , it became clear to me that while pressure washing roofs made them look clean, damage was occurring on the roofs. Pressure cleaning machines can only be turned down so far and still accomplish roof cleaning and any amount of pressure, even as low a setting as 300 psi { 3000 to 4000 psi is what most pressure cleaning contractors use } will still remove around 15-20% of the granules that make up the color and protection of your shingle roof per cleaning.

Ugly black algae, left in place on the roof, eats around those granules and the rain removes them. Still eventually destroying the roof and spoiling it's appearance and resale value. With tile roofs, pressure removes the glazing many tile roofs come with. Pressure also blows pieces of cement that hold the ridge-caps in place off into space! If your tile roof is painted, pressure will blow portions of paint off all over the roof, leaving it in need of an expensive paint job!

Attached Thumbnails
How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-17-golfview-roof-001.jpg   How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-17-golfview-roof-005.jpg   How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-example-roof-47-par-view-rd-oct-1-2010-2-.jpg   How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-before-cleaning_401-johnson-lane-venice-commercial-roof_-building_walks.jpg   How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-after-cleaning___venice-roof-401-johnson-ln-022-4-.jpg  

How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-2011-shingled-roof-job.jpg  

Last edited by loneframer; 08-28-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: removed self promotional text
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5282jt For This Useful Post:
Railman (02-09-2014), WildWill (12-14-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Thomas J Marino, Inc

Trade: Custom Home Builder/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: How Do The Roofing Manufacturers Say To Clean Roofing? Like This=

As Butthead would say, "words,words,words"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thomasjmarino For This Useful Post:
5282jt (08-28-2011), Dirtywhiteboy (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjmarino View Post
As Butthead would say, "words,words,words"
Interesting who you choose to quote!
Clearly, you recognize the validity of what was said and have no reply.
As with Beevis and Butthead, what you said makes no sense?
Words, word, words of the roofing manufacturers.
Who do you listen to with other expensive things you own, that are under warranty? Isn't it usually the manufacturer?

Actually, I thought this was the first thing I have ever read about roof cleaning, that was finally more than just "opinions" and "words"
It's the product maker!
Like I said, we pressure clean too, but we listen to the manufacturer, when it comes to other peoples property.
Attached Thumbnails
How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-boca-grande-pressure-wash-job.jpg   How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-during-cleaning_venice-roof-401-johnson-ln-032-12-.jpg   How do the roofing manufacturers say to clean roofing? Like this=-ls-job-004.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Tampa

Trade: Roof Cleaning
Rewards Points: 75

Chuck, you did a beautiful roof cleaning for that Chiropractor.
I hope he gave your tired old arse a couple of free sessions for that beautiful tile roof cleaning job ?
I needed a break, and business has been good for us this week in the Tampa area. My Son and his helper are out cleaning roofs today, and I got to take a much needed week off
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Thank you OP for your post, spread the knowledge!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 seasons For This Useful Post:
5282jt (08-12-2012)
Old 06-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Cleaning View Post
Chuck, you did a beautiful roof cleaning for that Chiropractor.
I hope he gave your tired old arse a couple of free sessions for that beautiful tile roof cleaning job ?
I needed a break, and business has been good for us this week in the Tampa area. My Son and his helper are out cleaning roofs today, and I got to take a much needed week off
THANK YOU!
No, all I got was paid in full. That will have to do!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons View Post
Thank you OP for your post, spread the knowledge!
You are very welcome!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 10

the difference in that roof is like night and day.
Great job
Pressure Washing Baton Rouge
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 3,460

Now I just gotta' figure out if I should use one or 2.5 gallons of chlorine...
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
New Guy

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Now I just gotta' figure out if I should use one or 2.5 gallons of chlorine...
HaHaHa!

We had a guy the other day that insisted that we use cleaning powder on his roof. Needless to say, we walked away from the job.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5282jt View Post
This Is The Roofing Manufacturers Method Below: Check it yourself. It says not to pressure wash!

You have probably heard all the new fad "GO GREEN" "Biofoam" "Bio Degradable" "Eco-Friendly" roof cleaning pitches that have cropped up recently. Or the $$ making Roof-A-Side type programs, that keep guys walking on your roof once or twice a year to maintain clean appearances?

They try to convince unknowing homeowners that chlorine bleach should not be used on roofing to clean with.
The reason is, they know that chlorine is the industry standard and what the manufacturers allow roofs to be cleaned with under warranty.
However, there are many, many real professionals cleaning roofs properly with chlorine-per manufacturer instructions.

So, these new start up companies try to get work by telling lies about chlorine use. But you won't see them posting a roofing manufacturer that suggests their chemicals or pressure washing, because none do.

It's their way to fool you into thinking you are helping save the environment!
What is more damaging to the environment? - chlorine, which is everywhere and turns back into plain salt when it dries?
Or roofing shingles in dump sites, because they only lasted a 1/2 life, due to improper cleaning methods? DON'T BE FOOLED!

Here are the facts from The Roofing Manufacturers Themselves.
It's your warranty, you can listen to the green salesman and pressure washing guys, who can blast the discolorations [ along with your roofs granules etc ] off from your roof, or to those who make the roofing and honor warranties or void them. { Incidentaly, I am not against pressure cleaning! It is perfect for all exterior cleaning other than roofs. I have been a pressure washing contractor since 1978 - I just know better than to pressure clean fragile roofing ! }
Here you go! I could easily supply more proof, but this is pretty obvious, I'd say.

From GAF Roofing Manufacturers about black algae removal:

http://www.gaf.com/Documents/Algae_S...-43-808-v3.pdf

"If a new roof is not an option, GAF recommends cleaning the roof with a special mixture. That mixture is:

"What NOT To Do! Do not power wash the shingles to clean the shingles. Some roof cleaning companies offer this service.
However, it is not recommended."

chlorine bleach, trisodium phosphate, and water. Solutions for these ingredients depend on the amount of discoloration. Solutions range to one cup TSP and 2.5 gallons each of bleach and water.
First, gently disperse this solution on the roofing surface. Avoid scrubbing the surface, as this friction may loosen and remove granules.
Caution!
High pressure washing systems for algae removal should not be used.

Owens Corning Roofing manufacturers says the same thing:

"USE CHLORINE and TSP" "DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER"

Owens Corning info in link below.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=36077811

So, those who manufacture your roofing and warranty your roofing are the folks to listen to!

Not those who pressure wash roofs, or try to sell you a so called "Green" Eco-Friendly" chemical.

We clean roofs ONLY by the roofing manufacturers methods, so your warranty will not be voided!

WE ARE RCIA CERTIFIED ROOF CLEANERS: ROOF CLEANING INSTITUTE OF AMERICA. LINK BELOW:

http://roof-cleaning-institute.activ...1055740&page=1

With years of experience , it became clear to me that while pressure washing roofs made them look clean, damage was occurring on the roofs. Pressure cleaning machines can only be turned down so far and still accomplish roof cleaning and any amount of pressure, even as low a setting as 300 psi { 3000 to 4000 psi is what most pressure cleaning contractors use } will still remove around 15-20% of the granules that make up the color and protection of your shingle roof per cleaning.

Ugly black algae, left in place on the roof, eats around those granules and the rain removes them. Still eventually destroying the roof and spoiling it's appearance and resale value. With tile roofs, pressure removes the glazing many tile roofs come with. Pressure also blows pieces of cement that hold the ridge-caps in place off into space! If your tile roof is painted, pressure will blow portions of paint off all over the roof, leaving it in need of an expensive paint job!

Your GAF link is incomplete.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid HotClean View Post
HaHaHa!

We had a guy the other day that insisted that we use cleaning powder on his roof. Needless to say, we walked away from the job.
What's HaHaHa about it? One says one gallon, the other says 2.5 gallons of chlorine...
Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #13
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
What's HaHaHa about it? One says one gallon, the other says 2.5 gallons of chlorine...
None of them define the level of SH content.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
I was referring to the bleach... From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5282jt View Post
[B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=4][SIZE=5]

Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #15

Trade: Roof Cleaning, Exterior Cleaning
Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
SH content will vary depending on temperature, roof type and how much growth is on the roof. The hotter the temp, the more active the SH is and the lower the percentage can be. Asphalt versus tile, versus concrete, versus TPA...they all need a different mix.

We use anywhere from a 4-1 to a 2-1 water to 12.5%
SH mix. Our most common mix is 1/3 SH, 2/3 water, and some Myristamine Oxide surfactant for dwell time. We deal with a ton of moss and fairly heavy G.M. buildups here in the Pacific Northwest.

Also, the shingle mtgs do mention TSP as an additive. Most professional roof cleaners have gotten away from TSP. It is a degreaser and while it will make the roof shiny, it can also dry the shingle out used improperly. Most guys simply use the SH, often do a rinse down afterwards and leave it at that. The process works.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofCleaner View Post
SH content will vary depending on temperature, roof type and how much growth is on the roof. The hotter the temp, the more active the SH is and the lower the percentage can be. Asphalt versus tile, versus concrete, versus TPA...they all need a different mix.

We use anywhere from a 4-1 to a 2-1 water to 12.5%
SH mix. Our most common mix is 1/3 SH, 2/3 water, and some Myristamine Oxide surfactant for dwell time. We deal with a ton of moss and fairly heavy G.M. buildups here in the Pacific Northwest.

Also, the shingle mtgs do mention TSP as an additive. Most professional roof cleaners have gotten away from TSP. It is a degreaser and while it will make the roof shiny, it can also dry the shingle out used improperly. Most guys simply use the SH, often do a rinse down afterwards and leave it at that. The process works.
Hi Kevin, I really like that new bullit proof hose reel that you've developed!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi Kevin, I really like that new bullit proof hose reel that you've developed!
That was done out of necessity! Rolling up 300' of 3/4" spray hose gets old REAL fast...as does having to regularly replace hose reels and manifolds that rot out because they were never meant for Chlorine use. Took six months to find the solution to one of every roof cleaners' biggest problems and now that it is available, guys are starting to order them.

Bellingham, WA
360-831-9494
Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 816

What is SH?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbuilder View Post
What is SH?
Sodium Hypochlorite. The active oxidizer in Chlorine Bleach.

Bellingham, WA
360-831-9494
Old 06-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofCleaner View Post
Sodium Hypochlorite. The active oxidizer in Chlorine Bleach.
Thanks RC, I coincidentally cleaned a roof today, 10.00 of TSP, 5 bottles of bleach 8.25% SH at 12.00, took me 6 hours to do 1900 sq ft 5/12 straight A....looks lie a brand new roof!!