Whats A Good Heat Pump?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck/Remodeling Contractor

Whats A Good Heat Pump?

My 12 yr old armstrong system is in need of constant repair time for a new system. My hvac guy uses lennox and trane but he mostly does commercial. It seems like every brand has terrible reviews. Any opinions on a good reliable system. thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.

Re: Whats A Good Heat Pump?

It has been a couple of days since this first post, but, I thought I would give the typical answer which is it's not which brand, but it's a matter of who is doing the installation. There are a lot of factors in making an installation a good one, and if done right, the equipment no matter what brand should last two to three zillion years.

Having said that, if you were to look for the inside track, there are two factors that would determine which brand is "best". Who are the major wholesalers in your town, and how long have they been carrying that line of equipment? If you are in the middle of an extreme temp season and the equipment breaks down, you don't want to have to wait a few weeks due to lack of availability of the part. Also, I recommend a dealer who has been installing brand X for many years as opposed to switching brands because they got a better deal. The dealer who has been installing brand X is aware of the product nuances thus minimizing any potential drama.

I would be weary of any dealer who puts down another brand, because the truth of the matter, when comparing apples to apples, they are about the same.

beenthere (04-26-2011), timtim2008 (07-09-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Deck/Remodeling Contractor

I guess that makes sense. thanks for the reply. This guy has done a couple pretty big commercial installs for me and does good work. Ive heard nothing but bad stuff about lenox but very little good about any other brand. I guess as you have a good install and good warranty I should be ok. thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

Trade: HVAC

Have you seen the new Lennox solar powered line of equipment? go to lennox dot com click on residential then heat pumps............look at the 21 series

Last edited by acefurnacefixer; 05-04-2011 at 06:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acefurnacefixer For This Useful Post:
timtim2008 (07-09-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Pro

Isn't the solar thing for the fan motor only. I will check it out later, but was under the impression that the only thing solar was the fan motor
Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Isn't the solar thing for the fan motor only. I will check it out later, but was under the impression that the only thing solar was the fan motor
Yes just the condenser fan when you only have the cells on the unit. But Lennox bought out a solar panel company, and now has the set up that your can tie in a full solar array that will provide power to your house also.

It ain't cheap though.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

Trade: mechanical

short answer: A good heat pump is one thats installed correctly! Period!If u buy the most expensive unit and installed for ****, u got ****! And visa versa
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Pro

Yeah, most people who file complaints are the ones who had poor installs. It's hard for a fella to get excited about a hvac system. In this field, no news is good news.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #9

Trade: mechanical

Exactly! Thats why consumer reports or any other report that a customer looks at doesnt mean ****! Blame the unit maker, not the person that installed it incorrectly!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #10

Trade: GC

good info..

wow i wish i could do that solar powered one

http://www.lennox.com/products/air-conditioners/XC21/
Old 07-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Pro

What about solar water panels on the roof to help absorb the heat, and move it to a storage tank? I believe that would make more sense instead of using that space just to power a relatively small fan motor.

Granted, this was originally about a good heat pump, but, the solar panels would make a good heat pump as the heat would be moved from one space to another.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
What about solar water panels on the roof to help absorb the heat, and move it to a storage tank? I believe that would make more sense instead of using that space just to power a relatively small fan motor.

Granted, this was originally about a good heat pump, but, the solar panels would make a good heat pump as the heat would be moved from one space to another.

When you use the roof panels. they supply power to more then just the condenser fan. 15 of them will generate 1 megawatt a year. Which is enough to run the lighting for a home for a year or more.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
Pro

What do you think would be more useful, using the energy to assist in the lighting of a home, or heating the water? Granted, I am biased, but, to me, I would rather use that energy to heat water that could be used for washing clothes, dishes, and perhaps a shower or two.... Also, you would be reducing the heat load on the house (in theory)
Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
What do you think would be more useful, using the energy to assist in the lighting of a home, or heating the water? Granted, I am biased, but, to me, I would rather use that energy to heat water that could be used for washing clothes, dishes, and perhaps a shower or two.... Also, you would be reducing the heat load on the house (in theory)
6 one way half a dozen the other. At 1 megawatt. Yo get paid for the spare electric you generate.

The electric the panels generate is used for more then just the lights for the year. I used the lights as an example of what kind of output 1 megawatt is.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
6 one way half a dozen the other. At 1 megawatt. Yo get paid for the spare electric you generate.

The electric the panels generate is used for more then just the lights for the year. Its used by all electric appliances in the home.I used the lights as an example of what kind of output 1 megawatt is.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
Pro

Question: do the panels only work during the daytime? or, do the panels charge a battery which in turn powers the lights and whatever the load is. Also, how much power do the panels supply per day?