Venting 80% Furnace & Water Heater

Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
Unregistered

Venting 80% Furnace & Water Heater

Is there any problem with venting an 80% Trane 80XL furnace on the same vent as a water heater? Is Type-B piping required? The furnace is at the end of the vent. In this case, won't the exhaust from the furnace vent through the water heater (the furnace uses an inducer for venting).

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-11-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor

Re: Venting 80% Furnace & Water Heater

Off the top of my head - I'm pretty sure this is ok. I've seen this in many many new houses. I don't believe a B Vent is necessary unless there is no outside air for combustion air. Then again I think UBC requires outside combustion air anyway - one duct high and one duct low.

Old 12-13-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Is there any problem with venting an 80% Trane 80XL furnace on the same vent as a water heater? Is Type-B piping required? The furnace is at the end of the vent. In this case, won't the exhaust from the furnace vent through the water heater (the furnace uses an inducer for venting).

Old 12-19-2003, 05:42 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I know around here that the two cannot be inter connected, as one unit is power vented and could possible send exhaust fumes into the other unit in the event of a blocked condition.

They require the two to be exhausted to seprate flues.

Bernie
Old 01-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Unregistered

ohio new building has 80% and hw heaters connected to b vent. if it an old chimney..needs flue liner since 80% has alot of moisture to expel. also want fresh air ..

Old 02-10-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Unregistered

Question

Along this topic.....I am buying a house that's been split into two apartments. One apartment has a new 80% furnace. The second apartment has an old gravity furnace that I am replacing with a 90% furnace. Both of the existing furnaces vent into the masonry chimney. I don't think that there is a condensation problem now since the gravity exhaust is so warm. However, when I install the 90% furnace, what is my best venting solution? Stainless Steel flue liner? Or can the 80% and 90% both go out a PVC vent?

Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #7

Induced combustion motor on a gas furnace pulls air through the heat exchanger and thats about it. It does not force air all the way out the flue pipe (or its not designed to anyway). So yes it is ok (according to code) to include the water heater in the same venting system but personally I wouldn't do it. When flue gasses get too cool they can condense on the inside of the flue pipe and cause this:

Last edited by Steve Wiggins; 02-10-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:13 AM   #8
Pro

Hey where is the cleanout on that, up here we cannot connect to the base like that we have to have a tee with a cleanout at the base.

Bernie