Such A Thing As A Double Bathroom Vent Wall Cap?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator
Rewards Points: 500

Such A Thing As A Double Bathroom Vent Wall Cap?

Gentlemen,

Remodeling two side-by-side bathrooms on the second floor of an old brick home. By happy coincidence, there is already a ~8" x 4" hole through the brick wall up near the ceiling in one of the bathrooms. Looks like it was long ago for vent pipes, but someone plugged it up with the most incredible mixture of newspaper, crumbling mortar and tin cans (no joke).

Anyway, to avoid going through the roof, I want to use this hole for both bathroom vents. Two 4" ducts will fit perfectly, but only if they're right against each other. Maybe 1/2" spacing is possible - but I've never seen wall caps designed to be placd that close together. Even if you butt the exterior plates right up against each other, there's going be ~1" between the pipes for most models I've ever seen.

I don't really want to downsize to 3" and ruin performance. And I'd rather not have to enlarge the hole.

I could use just a single vent by either:

a)two separate fans, Y them together into one vent and make sure there are back-draft dampers on each fan - not bad, but you're really depending on that damper.

b) single fan with single vent, drawing on both bathrooms, - never been a 'fan' (get it?) of this - seems to me a lot of wasted room air venting both all the time.

BUT, if there is such a thing as a dual-pipe vent cap out there that might do the trick, it'd mean being able to keep them separate. Anyone seen such an animal?

Last edited by bob_cntrctr; 06-20-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Such A Thing As A Double Bathroom Vent Wall Cap?

You can search other threads here,
but bottom line is joining them is
a no-go.
You might find a range hood cap
sized right for the side-by-side.
Seems like 4X10 is a standard size,
not sure.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

To be code compliant you might want to go with your plan A Bob.

Here's some more information http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/53294/

Old 06-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Heating, Ventilation, Cooling & Sheet Metal
Rewards Points: 25

Bob,
I suppose it starts with how much are you willing to spend, and what you are looking for?
If you've done any commercial projects you may remember that they typically place washrooms etc. back to back to minimize wall penetration points.
You could go all out and talk to a Sheet Metal contractor you work with and ask him to draw something up and have it made for you, I can't see this being too expensive. Ask them to provide a Louver custom painted to match the exterior brick colour.
As a visual reference take a look at: eccoduct. com / ventilation .html

I'm still a new user so you'll forgive me for asking you to remove the spacing and insert the above as a web address?

Ryan
Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_builder View Post
To be code compliant you might want to go with your plan A Bob.

Here's some more information http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/53294/

I think you meant to type "plan B". Ya, typical - a Fantech inline downstream of a Y. Just, like I said, it seems terribly wasteful. But if it's that or break more bricks...

Figured the two-fan push into a Y would not pass.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Actually for bath fan venting (not mixing with products of combustion), you can compliantly wye two 4-inchers into a minimum of a 6" round duct. Six-inch wall caps are a common stock item.

It is somewhat common in apartment buildings for a whole floor of bath fans to dump into a common large exhaust duct.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Pro

Aha - now we're getting somewhere. Well if Y-ing two fans passes, then borrowing from HVAC_Ryan and combining with mdshunk produces something I DO like AND would pass: a custom fabbed, 4" x 8" square wall cap with dual 4" round ports each with a backdraft damper.

No prob for cost - Between wrench turning and renos I've fabricated my share of tin. A 4x8 boot, couple 'o collars, little while with the snips and the spot welder....

Thank you gentlemen. vbmenu_register("postmenu_455524", true);
Old 06-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Actually for bath fan venting (not mixing with products of combustion), you can compliantly wye two 4-inchers into a minimum of a 6" round duct. Six-inch wall caps are a common stock item.

It is somewhat common in apartment buildings for a whole floor of bath fans to dump into a common large exhaust duct.
Excellent idea mdshunk I've never seen or even heard of such an idea, course thats why I'm here to learn from the pro's on this site.