Quality Of Payne Furnace ???

Old 01-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
Home Builder/Renovator

Trade: Home Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Quality Of Payne Furnace ???

HVAC contractor quoted a Carrier furnace for new house under construction. When the furnace was installed I noticed it wasn't a Carrier, but was a Payne model. HVAC contractor says the Carrier furnace was on back order for a few weeks, so he installed the Payne (without my approval). Says it is the same furnace (Carrier owns Payne ?), just a different name on it. Is this true or is it a lower quality furnace ? What is the differences in quality, price, warranty ? Should I make him remove the Payne and install the Carrier unit ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Trade: Railroad Conductor/ Ex Hvac Service manager
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Quality Of Payne Furnace ???

Hi Home Pro

A Payne is Carriers little brother. Just as good but without all the bells and whistles. Warranty is the same either way.

Good luck
Rusty

Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #3

Trade: hvac
Red face

If you have a quote in writing, you can take that to the board in your state. A payne is the lowest line in carrier, bryant is mid line and carrier is top line. I think the contractor did you dirty. That furnace is the cheapest one carrier makes.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Home Builder/Renovator

Trade: Home Builder/Remodeler

Anyone else have any opinions on my situation above ???
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: HVAC Contractor
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to AirPro

If you paid for a carrier, you should get a carrier. Payne IS NOT the same as carrier, they are owned by carrier, but not the same equipment. It is the same thing as paying for an Amana, and getting a goodman. Goodman owns Amana, but they are two totally differant units. If they installed a Bryant, I would consider that about the same quality as the carrier(unless it was the infinity). Payne is on the low end of the quality chain IMO.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: hvac tech

i've seen carriers bryants and paynes.and once the doors off its the identical unit.up here in toronto if your not a carrier dealer u can't buy one,but i can get the exact same unit only with a payne plate.you would have to check model #s to know what unit u got.Would agree though if u paid for a carrier tag and got a payne tag u have some issues.Thats how carrier sells by there name.Units are junk anyway
Old 02-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi hf05

Are you talking about the Cobra version of Carrier?. The reason I asked is you called them junk, but in reality they are the ones everybody in the industry has to catch up too. I am sure if you ask anyone on this site their opinion of Carrier, they may not like things about them but I would say you couldn't find very many to call them junk. If you are thinking about Goodman or Amana, you would probably get a unanimous vote for that one. Any way I was just wondering, no biggie.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 02-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #8

Trade: HVAC

Catching UP!!??????? They have been left behind. CARRIER Keeps me in business. I Love working on them **READ (All the TIME)**. If it is not their blower wheels blowing apart or their heat exchangers cracking after 5 years of use. (Yes the air flow is correct). Or the inducer draft motors shreading the blower wheels, Its a GREAT unit!!!
BUT I LOVE THE FACT EVERYONE STILL BUYES THEM. They are in the same relm as goodman to me.

P.S. Dont forget about the freon leaks.... The P O !!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi HVAC SERV OWNER

Your post was quite intreguing to me. You listed all the things that can and do happen to all equipment in the industry that is improperly installed. You say they have the proper airflow etc. I guarantee that in the United State there is only about 20% of the equipment installed properly or has proper airflow. The problems that you have listed tell me you are probably in Texas. There were some companys that came into my territory from there and used their skills to install some equipment. By the time they were done we were able to salvage about half of the equipment they installed. But like I said you have your right to your opinion. But I guarantee you if you properly install and maintain a Carrier, it will outperform almost anything else on the market.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 02-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

I like Fords.

They don't happen to build comfort cooling equipment, however.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #11

Trade: H.V.A.C Contractor

Your contract is quoted for a carrier. I would match the serial number of the carrier model you were quoted for with the equipments price listing and compare that to the price of the payne unit after you match its serial number and model.

Im sure their is a difference in price and your contractor should be willing to adjust the price according to the equipment quoted or install the equipment quoted.

"Do it right the first time and you dont have to keep patching it up."

Last edited by Hvacman4god; 02-18-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Pro

the reason for the contract is to get exactly what your paying for in writing. If it was written for carrier then carrier is what you get. They are simply trying to get over on you for a couple bills. Maybe you would not have gone with this company if they at the start was trying to sell you a payne. I would fight for a vnice discount for keeping the payne or make them rip it out.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #13

Trade: HVAC-R

Payne is made by Carrier, with 90% of the same parts.
However it is equal to bottom rung of Carrier's line-up, and even then is a little cheaper than Carrier branded due to little marketing support.
Definately seek a discount as his cost would have been cheaper.
If you were buying a basic Carrier model and not hi-end then its not too big a deal you got essentially the same thing.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Astar Heating & A/C CEO

Trade: HVAC Contractor
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to FemaleAstarCO

Agreed on the quality LOL .I think they keep us all in business. Sorry Carrierman Bryant, Carrier, Payne Goodman all "Contractor Grade" but good for service income.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #15

Trade: Mechanical, HVAC
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemaleAstarCO View Post
Agreed on the quality LOL .I think they keep us all in business. Sorry Carrierman Bryant, Carrier, Payne Goodman all "Contractor Grade" but good for service income.
This is all good, but what make would you recommend?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #16

Trade: HVAC/R

I say choose a good installer....they can make junk work better than choosing a great piece of equipment and having it installed wrong. They all pass the same ARI standard.....or do builders grade have to pass a lower standard??
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #17

Trade: Painting

GM owns Cadillac and Chevrolet. You paid for an Escalade and they gave you an Avalanche. Get your Carrier unit.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #18

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I say choose a good installer....they can make junk work better than choosing a great piece of equipment and having it installed wrong. They all pass the same ARI standard.....or do builders grade have to pass a lower standard??
thanks Big J on you hit the nail on the head. I always get a kick out of pros bashing a product. How unprofessional
Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #19
HVAC Old Timer

Trade: HVAC

I always enjoy it when people pull the "unprofessional" card.
By definition:
Definition: not done well or skilled
I suppose in this instance it is not up to the standards of people paid to argue or make rules about what one can express.

Usually it just means that people who sell something don't like others to point out problems; especially HVAC pros that have been hit by manufacturing mistakes they had to solve. It might also mean that there are annoying 'whistle-blowers who won't go along with collusion to keep problems from the public eye - especially annoying as they can't be fired - just smeared.

I'd think that simply pointing out there there are problems that have been solved by experience and intelligence would be 'professional' enough - even to the folks that want to control annoying speech.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatPro View Post
I always enjoy it when people pull the "unprofessional" card.
By definition:
Definition: not done well or skilled
I suppose in this instance it is not up to the standards of people paid to argue or make rules about what one can express.

Usually it just means that people who sell something don't like others to point out problems; especially HVAC pros that have been hit by manufacturing mistakes they had to solve. It might also mean that there are annoying 'whistle-blowers who won't go along with collusion to keep problems from the public eye - especially annoying as they can't be fired - just smeared.

I'd think that simply pointing out there there are problems that have been solved by experience and intelligence would be 'professional' enough - even to the folks that want to control annoying speech.
Mr Heatpro you seem like a very intelligent guy, all Im saying is I dont think its right to walk a company off a cliff because of bad models they have had. I will admit that goodman has had its share of bad models but I also think they have come along way. thank you