Puff Back On A Gas Furnace?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Puff Back On A Gas Furnace?

Hello,

We did a basement remodel that began in October 07 and ended in February of 2008. I got a call from the owner telling me that they experienced a "puff back" around the second week of March 09 and they are saying it's due to construction dust from our project.

Background on the project: The basement was newer construction with open framing so there was no Demo; the first thing we did was frame a wall that closed off the mechanicals from the rest of the basement and, from that point on, there was minimal dust in that room. They used it to store items they didn't want in the main construction area.

This is the first time I've even heard of a puff-back. Any feedback regarding how this could happen would be helpful. Btw, it is a gas furnace/forced hot air system.

Thanks in advance for your help,

M

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,280

Re: Puff Back On A Gas Furnace?

Puffback. Is caused by a delayed ignition.

With the limited info you gave. Can't make any good guesses.

Did they have a tech come out and say its because of the remodel.
If so. What did they say he found.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #3

Trade: HVAC Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Is the furnace sealed combustion or not?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

I have seen furnace problems caused from sheetrock dust, even with the furnace in an adjacent room. It finds its way. If so, this stuff gets into everything & can cause problems especially with a newer gas furnace with electronic ignition. One of the places where it collects is on the flame sensor-thus problems until it is cleaned.

Last edited by mrmike; 03-18-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: adding
Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 2,514

I never heard the term puff-back. It turns out that it deals with the combustion and ventilation of an oil heat source, not natural gas. In my defense, most of residential hvac systems here are gas & electric, but I digress. Upon googling puff-back, it has to do with the combustion and ventilation of an oil heat source not gas. So I wonder if the problem could deal with the air-supply and not so much to deal with the sheet rock? Sealed combustion question is a good one. If it isn't sealed, what size grills are in the mechanical room? Something in that nature eh?

If the problem was simply a dirty furnace due to sheet rock, just hire somone to give it the propper cleaning, cool, simple simon. If the problem is due because someone did not provide for adequet ventilation, A fix is likely readily available as well.

Also, I am not a general contractor, but after performing a major remodel job, one should call an hvac outfit to properly clean the appliances. If the dust built up on the flame sensor is bad, the blower compartment is likely to be bad as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for getting back to me about this. Unfortunately, I don't have much more information. The homeowner said that the techs that game out to look at it after the puff back occurred pointed the finger at us even though the remodel was completed over a year ago. If it were caused by the remodel, wouldn't there have been tell-tale signs last winter. Also, we plastered the basement so there honestly wasn't a lot of dust. (As I mentioned, they used the furnace room for storage of stuff they didn't want getting dusty.) As far as specifics about the furnace itself, I don't have any to share.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,280

Unless they can point to a specific item of the remodel work.
And show evidence.

They are just throwing blame because they can't find the real cause.