Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

operating a water source unit with no water?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  3lbfinishhammer 
#1 ·
I am a framing carpenter who knows a little about some things and less about everything else. I am working on my own house and I am in the process of installing an open loop water source unit (McQuay Enfinity 4 ton unit) and I was wondering if it can be operated make heat before the water piping is in place? I understand that it wouldn't be as efficient as it would with the proper water flow, but will it work and could it possibly cause any damage? This would only be a temporary thing until such time the pipes can be trenched in. Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
with it in the heating mode(inside coil is hot) the water side needs a load because of it being the cooling side now.with no water running thru the condenser the unit will trip on low pressure(if it has one) or you crack the condenser piping in that "that CAN looking thing,or race track piping setup" within the unit.for temporary heating hook up a water hose to the condenser.......IN>>>>>>>>>> and a hose to OUT>>>>>>>>>to drain it.you don't need to completly open the water to it,just enough to get the LIQUID LINE warm:blink: with the unit in the heating mode.the LL is the thinnest copper one that runs from the condenser to the evaporator coil.if you can mix hot/cold off a faucet that would be better.then you can get the water to about 75F-80F going into the condenser....that thing will bang the heat with that water entering the condenser at that temp:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.