Old Post Revived - No Solution Found. - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Old Post Revived - No Solution Found.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General

Old Post Revived - No Solution Found.

Hi- I have run across condensation in a home cold air intake duct (only in the winter). The duct ties directly into the return air duct and routes to the exterior wall just above grade. The duct was insulated well, but I found water dripping down the exterior wall and the insulation was soaked about 3 ft from the exterior wall and ice build up around the flex duct and plastic tie they used to secure flex to the outside vent/intake housing... The basement is very dry otherwise it was built last year 2017 and I am finishing the basement but cannot close the walls until Iím sure this is taken care of. Spray foam was used along the rim joists and I added an extra layer of foam because I saw daylight through a small hole in foam.

Itís 11:22pm and Iím losing sleep over this challenge with leaking water in the basement.

Any ideas on how to prevent ice build up and condensation dripping?
Attached Thumbnails
Old post revived - no solution found.-200eac3a-30c4-4896-844d-6e028dcb1ff8_1520054673195.jpeg   Old post revived - no solution found.-446dc25d-b9ea-4bbc-9622-f3e90336181a_1520054758783.jpeg   Old post revived - no solution found.-3063d501-038e-4006-b84b-02fd1b4cf355_1520054812872.jpeg   Old post revived - no solution found.-4cc5e111-ae87-4bbd-a58c-294e9d2ceef8_1520054862797.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,960

Re: Old Post Revived - No Solution Found.

Does it only happen when there is snow on the ground? I'm not real familiar with fresh air intakes, but that looks way too close to the ground

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,124

Wait until its a bit warmer outside. Then when the pipe is completely dry. Spray foam it. There should be no bare metal exposed. Its the lack of insulation that is causing the problem.

And as already said, the intake is too close to the ground.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,869

YOU NEED a pro HVAC person. This is so silly, What ignorant fool runs outside air into the return plenum?

If make up air is required, it needs to pass through an ERV device. Then mixed into the return air...

If your furnace, hot water heater, or bathroom and kitchen vents require added make air this duct should connect to the mechanical room as near the air consumers as possible, not the return ductwork... make up air for the fart fans and smoke fans needs to run through an ERV to allow venting at a reasonable cost...

how much fuel do you burn using outside air to heat your house? Doesn't this create a massive dust(cleaning) issue?

Call the Home builder NOW and demand a re-installation by a licensed tinner.( this isn't broke, its WRONG)

The cold outside air flow cools the tin duct to BELOW the dew point of your 72 degree inside air, causing it to "Rain" out on the sub dew point tinwork.

No home inspector? no loan inspection? No Building inspectors???? you must be up in a Hillbilly hollow somewhere.

please post back with more info please.

How do you keep the varmints out of the air ducts?
Just what kind of contracting do YOU do? I'm curious.

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 03-03-2018 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
rblakes1 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,653

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.