HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Pro
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 901
Rewards Points: 500

HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Do you recommend keeping the fan in the on position all year, or auto.

I have always been told it is better to leave it in the on position year round.
Brock is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Handle It!
 
MALCO.New.York's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY ~ Haverford, PA
Posts: 9,588
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Do you recommend keeping the fan in the on position all year, or auto.

I have always been told it is better to leave it in the on position year round.

I am with you on this one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Absolutely correct! It keeps the air "flowing" and therefore amalgamates the ambient temperature.

It does away with Hot and Cold spots.

It takes more energy to start a blower motor than it does to run one. No idea how long equates to "start up". But frequent start and stop is VERY wasteful!

__________________
Something to One may be Nothing to another!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
MALCO.New.York is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


"Leave it on," has been my
personal crusade for 30 years.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Pro
 
cleveman's Avatar
 
Trade: custom home building
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 2,686
Rewards Points: 2,312

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


I remember in the instructions for my electronic air cleaner, it was stated to leave the fan on all the time for a month, then check and see if you can afford to leave it on.

Comfortwise, it is obvious that it is better to leave it on.

I'm going to find my multimeter and funky extension cord and get a reading on what it takes to run the fan.
cleveman is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
I remember in the instructions for my electronic air cleaner, it was stated to leave the fan on all the time for a month, then check and see if you can afford to leave it on.

Comfortwise, it is obvious that it is better to leave it on.

I'm going to find my multimeter and funky extension cord and get a reading on what it takes to run the fan.
But you also have to factor in
cycling of the burner/compressor,
fuel use to comfort level, and life of the
start windings to get the total picture.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Pro
 
rayh78's Avatar
 
Trade: GC - Home repair
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 219
Rewards Points: 154

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


I must be the only one that consider it a waste of money to run 24 hours.
I did try it on a new unit I had for downstairs because it came with a 2 speed motor. So did not cost much to run and would filter the indoor air all the time.
But after a few years had to replace the blower motor at a cost of $550.00 for this Carrier model.
rayh78 is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh78 View Post
I must be the only one that consider it a waste of money to run 24 hours.
I did try it on a new unit I had for downstairs because it came with a 2 speed motor. So did not cost much to run and would filter the indoor air all the time.
But after a few years had to replace the blower motor at a cost of $550.00 for this Carrier model.
Funny my last one ran continuously
for 15 years.
When the unit had to be replaced
I saved the blower and motor and
I'm still using it as a dust collector
in the shop.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Pro
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 901
Rewards Points: 500

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
Funny my last one ran continuously
for 15 years.
When the unit had to be replaced
I saved the blower and motor and
I'm still using it as a dust collector
in the shop.
I would like a master electrician to chime in here.

Which costs me more to run annually.

1. My full size rfrigerator in the garage I use for beer and extra frozen food that doesn't fitin my indoor fridge.

-or-

2. Running my hvac fan all year.
Brock is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Handle It!
 
MALCO.New.York's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY ~ Haverford, PA
Posts: 9,588
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Well...........What is the Wattage of the Fridge/Freezer????

According to the following site, an "Upright" Freezer uses 3 times the amount of energy as a "Furnace Fan".


http://www.oksolar.com/technical/consumption.html
__________________
Something to One may be Nothing to another!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
MALCO.New.York is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I would like a master electrician to chime in here.

Which costs me more to run annually.

1. My full size rfrigerator in the garage I use for beer and extra frozen food that doesn't fitin my indoor fridge.

-or-

2. Running my hvac fan all year.
Fidge by far and away.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Pro
 
threaderman's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma city
Posts: 1,178
Rewards Points: 500

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Excuse me if I seem ignorant but I haven't heard of this before.You're saying that if I'm not heating or cooling my home that my fan should always be running,and that it is not hard on the system but better than letting fresh air into the home,or do you let the fan run and keep doors and windows open as you normally would during mild weather?
threaderman is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by threaderman View Post
Excuse me if I seem ignorant but I haven't heard of this before.You're saying that if I'm not heating or cooling my home that my fan should always be running,and that it is not hard on the system but better than letting fresh air into the home,or do you let the fan run and keep doors and windows open as you normally would during mild weather?
How quaint.
That way I could actually find out
if there are any non-obscene lyrics
that go with the thump-thump "music"
as the cars sit at the stop sign.
I could make a hobby of identifying
the subtle differences in the tones
of each individual un-muffled motorcycle
engine.
Perhaps I might even learn to identify
the oil fields whence came the crude
by the nuances in the aroma of the
diesel fumes.
Perhaps you are right, I should open those
windows to the gentle breeze more often.





Or not.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)

Last edited by neolitic; 11-22-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Couldn't find sarcastic smilie, too subtle
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
Pro
 
threaderman's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma city
Posts: 1,178
Rewards Points: 500

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
How quaint.
That way I could actually find out
if there are any non-obscene lyrics
that go with the thump-thump "music"
as the cars sit at the stop sign.
I could make a hobby of identifying
the subtle differences in the tones
of each individual un-muffled motorcycle
engine.
Perhaps I might even learn to identify
the oil fields whence came the crude
by the nuances in the aroma of the
diesel fumes.
Perhaps you are right, I should open those
windows to the gentle breeze more often.





Or not.
What the hell are you talking about,I like fresh air,I've lived in some of the toughest cities out there and still kept my windows open,and am only trying to figure out what's best for my HVAC.Maybe you should move to a more calming place,Holy crap.
threaderman is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by threaderman View Post
What the hell are you talking about,I like fresh air,I've lived in some of the toughest cities out there and still kept my windows open,and am only trying to figure out what's best for my HVAC.Maybe you should move to a more calming place,Holy crap.
I didn't change, the city did.
I will take your advice and move
as soon as Mom dies.

As to the cost, my electric bill
is lower than anyone I know.
Every time POCO figures my budget
payments, I cut them by 30% and
still come up with a balance in the
settle up month.
And I don't think it would hurt
to move the air around the house
and through the filter even with
the windows open, maybe especially then.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
New Guy
 
delta l's Avatar
 
Trade: Lighting automation
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 25

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Do you run central air conditioning in the summer? If so, and you are in an area with high humidity, running a constant fan canl negatively affect your ability to dehumidify your home.

If your furnace/air handler is equipped with a variable speed motor, and depending on your thermostat, you can run an 'intermittent' fan which will allow the condensate to drain from your coil before running. Otherwise, it can be blown back into the air stream.

If chosen, mine will run 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off, if the stat has not called for cooling for an hour. Eliminates the stratification.

In wintertime, particularly if your unit is oversized and has a non-variable speed motor, running a fan w/o heat can cause a drafty, cold feeling.

It all depends on your system.

Delta
delta l is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #16
Handle It!
 
MALCO.New.York's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY ~ Haverford, PA
Posts: 9,588
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by delta l View Post
Do you run central air conditioning in the summer? If so, and you are in an area with high humidity, running a constant fan can negatively affect your ability to dehumidify your home.
Please explain..........With references.
__________________
Something to One may be Nothing to another!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
MALCO.New.York is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by delta l View Post
Do you run central air conditioning in the summer? If so, and you are in an area with high humidity, running a constant fan canl negatively affect your ability to dehumidify your home.

If your furnace/air handler is equipped with a variable speed motor, and depending on your thermostat, you can run an 'intermittent' fan which will allow the condensate to drain from your coil before running. Otherwise, it can be blown back into the air stream.

If chosen, mine will run 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off, if the stat has not called for cooling for an hour. Eliminates the stratification.

In wintertime, particularly if your unit is oversized and has a non-variable speed motor, running a fan w/o heat can cause a drafty, cold feeling.

It all depends on your system.

Delta
You are called.
Citations, proof, back it up.
Both common sense and long experience
is in direct opposition to your claims.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
Pro
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 901
Rewards Points: 500

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by delta l View Post
Do you run central air conditioning in the summer? If so, and you are in an area with high humidity, running a constant fan canl negatively affect your ability to dehumidify your home.

If your furnace/air handler is equipped with a variable speed motor, and depending on your thermostat, you can run an 'intermittent' fan which will allow the condensate to drain from your coil before running. Otherwise, it can be blown back into the air stream.

If chosen, mine will run 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off, if the stat has not called for cooling for an hour. Eliminates the stratification.

In wintertime, particularly if your unit is oversized and has a non-variable speed motor, running a fan w/o heat can cause a drafty, cold feeling.

It all depends on your system.

Delta
I thought the same thing until I tried it. The opposite of what you are saying actually occurrs with the fan on. I think it is because the heat rises and will stay closer to the ceiling level while it is cycled off. With the fan running all the time it is cycling the air and not allowing cool zones throughout the home. We also keep our ceiling fans on low most of the time to aid in pushing down the warm air.
Brock is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Handle It!
 
MALCO.New.York's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY ~ Haverford, PA
Posts: 9,588
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
We also keep our ceiling fans on low most of the time to aid in pushing down the warm air.

Down in the Summer. Up in the Winter. Try it!
__________________
Something to One may be Nothing to another!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
MALCO.New.York is offline  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: HVAC Fan "ON" Or "Auto"


Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Down in the Summer. Up in the Winter. Try it!
Mmmmm, got your glasses on
backwards.
Warm air down in winter.
Cold air up in summer.
Think about what you want
to pool where, when.

__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from HVAC contractor witjr_49 Introductions 5 11-21-2008 05:13 PM
Need some HVAC opinions and help Mike B HVAC 5 09-07-2008 06:16 PM
HVAC Licensing question kdan General Discussion 2 08-25-2008 08:17 AM
Commercial HVAC Reading Material TheRyeCatcher HVAC 3 07-26-2007 07:50 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?