Honeywell CT87K Issues

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 851

Honeywell CT87K Issues

I'm not a heating and air guy by trade but this was pretty simple swap out. I took an old Lennox thermostat out for my grandmother and put this Honeywell CT87K model in that she got from Lowes.

I've mounted it, leveled it and made the two wire connections (red and white) and it operates the furnace fine. She has a Ruud High Efficiency Oil/Forced Air system. However I'm having to turn the thermostat up to about 76 to get it to kick on and warm up to the targeted 68 mark she's looking for. I've set the switches on the back for high efficiency air per the manual. I've tried setting them back to normal forced air settings with no luck as well. Am I missing something or do I have a faulty thermostat?

Any input is appreciated. I'm a floor and paint guy so this isn't really my department but I never had an issue like this with the old T87 model that still had a mercury switch.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 254

Re: Honeywell CT87K Issues

Does the new Tstat read 68 as the current room temp? The unit will only turn on if it is really cooler then it thinks it is. I have changed a lot of old units out in which the old mechanical thermometer was way off.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things!!!

Yeah, they set it on 68 last night. In the middle of the night my aunt checked it and the current room temp was at 62 and it still had not cut on. They have to set it on 76 to get the room temp up to 68.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

There is a thing called Technology. With Solid State components. Some have dials for those who are not akin to advancement!

Chekemout!

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/...hop/A37320.jpg

AND!!! It is made by Honeywell!

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...nd/Default.htm

Stop relying on the old "Tried and True Tested", gizmos! (Hey wait!! this makes no sense!!!)

Give it a shot!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 10-12-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know. Convince grandma of that! Regardless, this Thermostat should work in this application. The fact that it doesn't is irritating me. I'll swap it our for another one and if it still doesn't work right, something is goofy here. Maybe it just isn't compatible with her heat system, regardless of what it says.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things!!!

Taking it back today to try another. If that doesn't work, back to the old mercury switch until I find another unit to try. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 2,612

You might want to jumper the r& w wires. This will energize the heat circuit manually. If the system fires up right away, yo know it's a t-stat issue. If not, then you will sayve yourself a trip.

The stat that Malco posted is a nice one for the older folks who don't like "technology"
Old 10-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Doer of Many Things!!!

Took the CT87K back to Lowes where they threw it in a bin with about a dozen other Honeywell thermostats marked "defective".

Went to Hajoca (local plumbing supply store) and got a T87, which is evidently the exact same thing minus the wall plate that can be mounted behind it. It was $10 cheaper and worked perfectly. Lowes must get the seconds.