High Pressure Control Reset Switch

Old 05-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

High Pressure Control Reset Switch

Quick question for someone in the HVAC field. I had two central air units (Raheem?) installed last April. I'm having an issue with the upper unit for the bedrooms. The unit is installed in the attic, with the compressor obviously outside. Everytime I turn on the air, I have to press the high pressure reset switch located on the compresser outside. this usuall happens after the unit is running for a little while, but it has happened immediately upon turning the system on. Any ideas as to what would cause this? thanks!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Re: High Pressure Control Reset Switch

Needs to be serviced. Could just be low freon charge. Also, could be a lot of other things causing too high of pressure...restricted air flow.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by workman
Needs to be serviced. Could just be low freon charge. Also, could be a lot of other things causing too high of pressure...restricted air flow.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 10
Talking

no low charge wouldnt cause that, it will cause a higher discharge temp. but the pressure would be lower, when suction goes down so does discharge, I would make sure that your condenser fan is running, also check your condenser coil, is it dirty? If not wash it anyway. Also make sure that the condenser isnt sitting under a overhang on your house because it will cause air recirculation, Also it could be a faulty high pressure switch, but it is unlikly. Also it may be overcharged. I would put your hand on the small line coming out of the condenser, it should be just ambient temp warm, if it is hot then you have some sort of air flow problem within the condenser. Hope this helps
Old 07-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #5

Trade: commercial hvac repair and installations
Rewards Points: 75

i am taking it for granted both outside units (condensers) are side by side on a pad common location?before the next "reset" grab the Liquid Line coming out of the condenser(uninsulated thin one 3/8ths)then reset the HP if that line get hot as fast as the compressor comes on and goes off the condenser is dirty(even if it looks clean might be matted within)i am also assuming the condenser fan comes on right when you reset with the compressor.that LL temp check is your sign that the condenser isn't getting rid of the heat...hows the other LL on the running unit...if it is ok 80F-90F on a hot day that might mean the resetter system might have an internal problem.your not low on freon because you would not be tripping the HP if it was a short charge and freon in a system is like air in your tires.....doesn't need to be replaced ..just not leak!will check back later this AM for your feedback on the above.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
Pro

Very late response post. It turned out that the compressor was overcharged by almost 100psi. Once it was recharged correctly, there havent been any problems. Thanks for everyones help.