Help Me Lower Oil Consumption Please.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Help Me Lower Oil Consumption Please.

Hi all,

First thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Much appreciated!!!

I have a 2 Peerless, Beckett, Honeywell set-up's. We have forced hot water and hydronic baseboards. Oil
Honeywell Module on Front is labeled L8124C 1102.

With oil being @ $4.00/gallon and just having dropped a whole lotta $$ for the second time this winter, I was wondering if there is anything I can clean/replace add to make me more efficient?

We do not have a water tank...It's tankless. Thinking possibly a small tank would save $$????

They are 10 years old and have been cleaned yearly by a local oil burner guy. The only thing that has gone on them are the expansion tanks. I was able to get the information on replacing them and successfully did it...Edit: Just remembered we replaced a mixing valve a couple years ago... Wondering if sensors/parts get less efficient with age? Is there anything I "should" replace after 10 years on them to save with oil consumption? The guy that cleans me gives me a card with an efficiency rating. Edit: Both read 84.5%
Also my settings on the Honeywell thing are @ 180 and 200... With the other knob being @ 10 (as low as it can go). Wondering if that's where they need to be so they are most efficient?

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.
Also if you ever have any questions on painting, feel free...I would be happy to give my advice.

If pictures or any other information are needed, please advise.

Thanks again

Last edited by Paintahh; 02-21-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 33

Re: Help Me Lower Oil Consumption Please.

You can lower the aqua-stat from 200-180 degrees only if it can keep up at design set point. The mixing valve controls are for out door reset and should be checked for proper set back. You maybe able to drop a nozzle size and increase pump pressure. Talk to you're oil service tech, he should be able to do this.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to fitter For This Useful Post:
Paintahh (02-21-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Master of Plumbing, Steam and Hot Water design
Rewards Points: 137

84% is good. Outdoor reset is a must and should be set to your particular climate. ODR will maintain minimum boiler (stack) temperture while delivering only the water temperature needed to satisfy the head load.

You can also set back a couple degrees at night with some fuel savings.

I always look to the attic first, to make sure I have an R-50 - the best ROI in any HVAC remodel.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

Trade: Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 75

There's a Cape cod style house for sale in my neighborhood, you could move down here to Tennessee. It's gonna be 74 degrees tommorrow, only 68 today. I don't even think you can buy heating oil in Tennessee, it would save you enough to pay for the house. I thought Venezula was gonna sell heating oil cheap to get on our good side. Guess they backed out on that one. Good luck with staying warm the rest of the winter, it looks like it over down here. I saw a snow flake on Sunday but thats it.
The Following User Says Thank You to joeh20 For This Useful Post:
Paintahh (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Pro

It is nice, but you're gonna melt in Jew-ly! hehehehee
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,946

Your tankless set up is killing you too. The boiler needs to maintain temp all the time. I would put in an indirect hot water tank. Also, your house is most likely a culprit for air infiltration and heat loss which will attribute to your oil consumption.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
Paintahh (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Pro

This is a good point. Not to be confused with a tank-less water heater; a tank-less coil sits in a conventional cast iron boiler and heats domestic hot water as cold city water passes through the coil.

This is an obsolete technology. As stated, an indirect water heater "makes" DHW about 20 minutes a day and then stores it all day with the boiler off, but for spaced heating calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgerBoilerMN For This Useful Post:
Paintahh (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Sounds like there are a few things I need to concentrate on that can save me oil/money:
Nozzles
Indirect hot water tank
ODR ---This looks complicated but I am sure I can do it with a little research on google.
R-50 in the attic?
Possibly close some of that vent off???

Kicker is we built this place 10 years ago. At the time, Oil was $1.25/gallon. We ALSO installed 2 propane fireplaces....It was less than a buck a pound. Damn do I wish we went with natural gas.
Here I am 10 years later a slave to heating this place.... Tennessee sounds really good!!!
Not so sure my attic was vented properly when it was built? I would like to think the inspector verified everything but????
There is always a ton of cold air coming in from my AC/ feeds and returns.....
If I close them, they drip water like you read about.....Here is another concern, I have a large farmers porch on the front. The ceiling of the farmers porch is that white plastic with the little holes in it...Needless to say, I have about a 20' x 7'-8' vent which seems like waaaaay too much?? Anytime I bring this up I get mixed responses on how much venting is actually needed. The whole place was built using 2 x 6 construction. Insulated to the max (well....10 years ago). We even have soundproofing in the walls...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,116

If your electric rate is lower then 15 cents a KWH. Install a tanked electric water heater. And by pass the tankless coil completely. then get a ODR connected to that boiler.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Paintahh (02-23-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Pro

An electric water heater will last 10 years, the indirect 30.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgerBoilerMN For This Useful Post:
Paintahh (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintahh
Sounds like there are a few things I need to concentrate on that can save me oil/money:
Nozzles
Indirect hot water tank
ODR ---This looks complicated but I am sure I can do it with a little research on google.
R-50 in the attic?
Possibly close some of that vent off???

Kicker is we built this place 10 years ago. At the time, Oil was $1.25/gallon. We ALSO installed 2 propane fireplaces....It was less than a buck a pound. Damn do I wish we went with natural gas.
Here I am 10 years later a slave to heating this place.... Tennessee sounds really good!!!
Not so sure my attic was vented properly when it was built? I would like to think the inspector verified everything but????
There is always a ton of cold air coming in from my AC/ feeds and returns.....
If I close them, they drip water like you read about.....Here is another concern, I have a large farmers porch on the front. The ceiling of the farmers porch is that white plastic with the little holes in it...Needless to say, I have about a 20' x 7'-8' vent which seems like waaaaay too much?? Anytime I bring this up I get mixed responses on how much venting is actually needed. The whole place was built using 2 x 6 construction. Insulated to the max (well....10 years ago). We even have soundproofing in the walls...
Insulated to the max with what?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
Insulated to the max with what?
Just went up and checked. It's R-30
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBoilerMN View Post
An electric water heater will last 10 years, the indirect 30.
And still save more then an indirect.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: General, plumbing, HVAC, solar

call national Grid and find out what programs they have for conversions. The advise to ditch the "in boiler tankless" is spot on. It is the worst and typically the solution of the Low Cost Bidder on the original installation. IF you stay with oil, Badgers recommendation of the ODR is spot on. If you end up going gas the ODR is still a must.

Another option for you is to keep your oil, doing the above improvements. The Peerless is a good boiler and your 84% is about as good as it get with oil. Add mini-split heat pumps to the house. I have a customer whose house overlooks Lake Champlain in VT. He runs his mini-splits down to 20f and then turns on the oil. Net reduction of 60% $. You could gain AC and dehu, which you need in MA. Of course, as oil bounces around the political landscape, I would get out of it asap.

This is not news to you, but you are in a bind with oil. Make sure that you look at all options. Good luck!

Advertisement