Goodman Hvac

Old 05-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #1

Trade: engineer
Rewards Points: 10

Goodman Hvac

hi,
i am changing my hvac system and have received the following quote from a contractor. please let me know if this is reasonable:

Goodman 3 1/2 ton 13 SEER Heat Pump $1,300
Goodman 4 ton variable speed air handler $1,000
electric heat pack $ 100
Aprilaire humidifier $ 450
line set $ 250
ductwork in order for larger system $ 300
misc material $ 200
labor, taxes, warranty $1,000
Total: $ 4,600

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #2

Trade: HVAC Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Goodman Hvac

Upgrade to a steam humidifier. It will work much better in heat pump applications.

As long as you trust the company doing the install, are sure that they will do the job correctly and will be around to honor their warranty money shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,330

Sounds too cheap.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: HVACR

Ask the Contractor for references, those prices don't sound right, might be a runner.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #5

Trade: engineer

i am very tight on budget and am working with a licensed contractor on craigslist. the guy seemed to be honest and i just wanted to make sure the prices are reasonable. i have read a lot on these forums and i feel that there are very good suggestions from many members. i have been cheated by the guy who sold me the house and ever since i bought the house every appliance has been giving me trouble. i had to replace the refregirator, cooking range, had several emergency service calls for ac/heating ( have 2 infants 3 months and 1 yr) and had to face problems in winter. so decide to change the unit. though im low on money and cannot afford to go with a big company i want to replace things and make sure my kids dont suffer in summer or winter. hence working with this contractot on CL.

If you guys have any additional suggestions please feel free to comment.

thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

Going with a cheap "craigslist guy" has its risks...

But hopefully if he's is truly licensed...and insured... then he knows what he's doing.

You can make a very sick house for yourself if you don't size the system right.
Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling Contractor - You Can Get There From Here
Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,330

Get other quotes.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

Buy Goodman ( or whatever name they want to call it) product if you want, be prepared for a possible replacement sooner than you would expect from a long established name brand unit. Carrier, Trane, York & Lennox units are the ones still performing reliably after decades of service. Initial design & installation are critical, the first few years look favorable to the cheap units, but the cheap had to cut something somewhere, that bites hard down the road when it is truly better to replace than repair. I chose Carrier because in every manual in the various schools for any brand refer to Carrier's research & engineering. They are arrogant but Willis sold the first economically viable comfort systems, many still in use. Trane, York & lennox make great competition in pursuing a better system.

Cheap units are corner cutting copycats, you get what you pay for if your lucky.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 2,664

You talking crazy talk? I call balderdash. Goodman parts are just as good as all the other guys. Carrier, Lennox, Trane, have their pro's & cons. If the equipment is intalled correctly, and, the duct work is set-up alright, It should heat/cool your home just fine. They also have a great warranty setup.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #10

It doesn't matter what equipment you choose
what matters most is how it's put in
size the equipment right
size the duct right
install it right
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
NICKTECH

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to NickTech Send a message via MSN to NickTech

usually the corner thats cut in a furnace is the sheetmetal body. the better brands make a more solid, better built cabinet than a cheaper one but the parts inside seem to be the same. goodman has come along way since their crap from the 90's. but i agree with Flash and TR it's all about how it was installed and setup. $4600 sounds way to low. is this a side job from a friend? a legit company would charge more than twice that. i've never dealt with craigs list but i've heard some nightmare stories about them.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #12

I didn't mean to ignite a flame war, but I should have known better.

I didn't mean to knock Goodman or any other brand. Most of my experience of selling Goodman correctly sized & installed as I was taught & religiously practice was in the 90's, when the paint eventually peeled off the condensers after a few years, Heat Exchangers cracked on nearly every 90+ furnace and don't even try to repair a leak in the copper coils because the walls are very thin. The motors & controls are just as good as any other brand. I lost very few compressors. I was the second dealer in our area at the time to use Goodman. I had to go through a 4 hour interview with the branch manager covering my installation & design ability before being accepted. I was impressed at first of the durability after fixing the improperly sized & installed units the first dealer performed. I was getting really frustrated by his continued ability to abuse equipment, got worse when homeowners started calling for us to install the units they had bought, the final straw was when the heat exchangers started failing, Goodman accused us installers of improper converting to LP. Along the way, I took a lot of ridicule for selling "Junkytrol" as they quickly became known. When they bought Amana, the quality seemed to improve but have gone through a couple of major design changes over the years and long term durability is still questionable to me.

The cracked heat exchangers & Goodman's "official" response blaming the installer is what convinced me by 2002 to not sell any more of their product for now. We follow any manufacturer's installation & service procedure to the letter. Goodman was facing a class action in our area & it looked like I was being hung out to dry.

My personal home has a Janitrol gas furnace that has been very satisfactory for 16 years. It is the only one in my equipment roster, the rest have been changed out after at least one heat exchanger replacement.

I have no grudge, I have several associates that install Goodman successfully so far. It is a good product for the money. Thanks to the competition by Goodman & other lessor brands, Carrier now has at least as good a warranty. My clientele now trend to a name however. I have not ruled out ever using Goodman again when the application is correct. Our reputation is to provide the best solution to the need of the client. That can cover a lot of territory I've found.

Sorry to be so long.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,268

seems the OP is a drop in guy who is not a contractor of sorts....how many of you guys are shopping CL for the next sub?

Goodman has been good to me-a 3.5 split about 8yrs old. It's louder than other brands...but I didn't have the money for a carrier/york at the time.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #14

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

that quote seem awful cheap to me, never itemized a quote for a customer like this guy did, Goodman is good equipment, just like everything else, install it properly & you'll get a good service life out of it. Get quotes from reputable HVAC contractors before you decide.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't know about the pricing but I would definately loose the humidifier hnless he lives in the desert and uses it properly. I have seen too many houses damaged by excess humidity
Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #16

bought a lennox control board that proved it self to be defective....they tell me since it was installed I can not return....has this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #17

Trade: Air Conditioning

Lo-baller for sure. Have you done your homework and found out some background on the guy? Scary cheap.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #18

Trade: HVAC Change Outs and Service

This is for sure a scam... Get everything in writing...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #19

Trade: HVAC Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbro View Post
bought a lennox control board that proved it self to be defective....they tell me since it was installed I can not return....has this happened to anyone else?
i had the same problem with a lennox fan control board however i had no problem getting a replacement, i simply called the lennox dist. and they told me no problem just bring it back, are you a lennox dealer? have an account with supplier? sounds like homeowner if so then you can forget it. wasted money, too many ways to screw it up
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #20

The Goodman stuff has pretty much the same parts as any other manufacturer. I've had the same amount of problems with every furnace brand I've sold (except the new coleman/york mod furnaces which are pretty much guaranteed to malfunction at some point) As for the deal you're considering... Odds are you're gonna cry in your corn pops before long if you get some scabber from craigslist. Theres a chance you could get lucky but its very slim. When it comes to proper refrigeration procedures you don't want to mess around, most guys that work for legitimate companies don't even install correctly, but the difference is they will come out and fix problems, this guy will likely disappear like a fart in the wind.

Advertisement