Goodman Heat Pump

Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Goodman Heat Pump

I am working on a 3 ton 14 seer goodman heat pump that is six months old. The 410A pressures are 320 on head and 85 on suction, ambient temp is 45 degrees. The cap tubes, on the flowrator, feeding the outdoor coil are icing, and the bottom of the accumalator has a solid ring of ice an inch thick. The suction line back to the compressor is frosting. Would the flowrator have a restriction or is there not enough return air on the indoor coil.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

Trade: ...

Re: Goodman Heat Pump

Interesting question. I would want to make sure the defrost is operating properly. Are you checking pressures in heating or cooling?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #3

checking pressures in ther heating mode
Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,302

Sounds low on charge.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

It does initially sound low on charge. That's usually the first thought. Without looking at a PT chart, I'd say your pressures seem okay.

What is your supply air temp.?

If your getting good discharge air temp after several minutes of running your probably charged okay. depending on how cold it is in your area (where are you) you should see 90's to 100 or so.

I find it harder to check pressures in heat. I would locate the wire on the defrost board that powers the outdoor fan motor and pull it off and run it in cooling. You can control the head pressure by just carefully putting it back on and off if you need to control the head pressure. It is much more accurate to check charge in cooling mode.

Is the defrost working, do you have good airflow.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

I just read your question again and it does kind of make me want to look closer at air flow.

Is this a split system or package unit? Has anyone adjusted the charge on this 6 month old unit? If not and it was installed correctly, the charge is probably fine.

Make sure to check supply and return air flow. If someone has most of the supply air ducts closed or blocked that can do it too.

I'm glad I read it again.

Good luck brother, you'll get it just stick with it.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azpipe View Post
It does initially sound low on charge. That's usually the first thought. Without looking at a PT chart, I'd say your pressures seem okay.
R410A

320 PSIG equals 100įF sat temp.
85 PSIG equals 23.5 sat temp.

Pressures are not as good as they should be.

Last edited by beenthere; 01-08-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Pro

Goodman SSZ140361B specs at outdoor temp of 45. Head 292, vapor 102, indoor temp rise should be 23.7
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC
Rewards Points: 500

For some reason, when I hear 410A and 6-month old install, the first thing I think of is partial restriction in the filter/dryer. Not saying thatís the problem in this situation, but it does seem to be more common with R410A system installs these days.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #10

I recovered the refrigerant and checked the pistons for blockage. This unit has .65 piston at the condenser, and a .65 at the evaporator. Both were clear. I charged the system with 50 psi of nitrogen and checked for leaks. Vac. system down for an hour and scaled 7lbs. 12oz of R410a. Head pressure was 330, suction pressure was 105 with a 45 degree ambient temp. The unit checked out and ran fine. There was definetly something going on with the charge.