Goodman Furnace Roll Out Switch Problem

Old 02-07-2004, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goodman Furnace Roll Out Switch Problem

The furnace is new, running only a few days. The roll out switch keeps poping. The heat coming out of the vents is minimum. For the first 2 days the furnace was heating fine then the roll out switches started and it is not running very well since.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 07:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Re: Goodman Furnace Roll Out Switch Problem

Most likely your furnace is ruined from poor air flow. Those heat exchangers are warrantied for 20 yrs. so I would hit Goodman up for a new one. Have it installed by a professional, he may discover too small ductwork. Keep all vents open and don't try to clean the air with a dense filter, that machine won't hold up to the task for very long.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wiggins
Most likely your furnace is ruined from poor air flow. Those heat exchangers are warrantied for 20 yrs. so I would hit Goodman up for a new one. Have it installed by a professional, he may discover too small ductwork. Keep all vents open and don't try to clean the air with a dense filter, that machine won't hold up to the task for very long.

can it be ruined after only a few days of use?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #4

can it be damaged after only a few days use?
Old 02-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

If it gets hot enough those rings can pop off the first time you use it. That's why I say someone needs to find out what the root problem is. Could be overfired (too much gas pressure or not venting properly). It's not installed laying on its back or something goofy like that is it?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:20 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

As Steve said it could be quite a few problems that are causing the unit too roll out.
Is the venter running? Flue pass clear of ice, has there been any sign of water from the drains ? check them to be sure that they are installed in the right fasion.
Open up the uint and check those GD rings, just to be safe. Use a water gauge to test pressure?

Bernie
Old 02-09-2004, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjd
As Steve said it could be quite a few problems that are causing the unit too roll out.
Is the venter running? Flue pass clear of ice, has there been any sign of water from the drains ? check them to be sure that they are installed in the right fasion.
Open up the uint and check those GD rings, just to be safe. Use a water gauge to test pressure?

Bernie
what rings are we talking about ? can you tell me how to check them. I have a call into a service man but with no guarentee when he can get here. There is soot (black) in the water from the ventor. The vent pipe is clear of ice. so is the combustable air pipe.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:53 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds to me like a regulator type problem check the gas pressure to be sure it meets the design of the furnace.

bernie
Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #9

soot in the drain water....probably a blown secondary heat exchanger.that would also cause the roll outs to trip.yeah, its time for a service call.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheat1
soot in the drain water....probably a blown secondary heat exchanger.that would also cause the roll outs to trip.yeah, its time for a service call.

I have two out of five flames running true down the heat exchanger. How do I get the other three to follow suit? They are close but still have flames flickering on the outter wall. That is what is causing the roll out to fail. Is that also a sign of the secondary going out?

Advertisement