Do I Need A License To Do Electrical/plumbing/ductwork/sheetmetal Too?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 AM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Do I Need A License To Do Electrical/plumbing/ductwork/sheetmetal Too?

Hey I'm considering entering into the HVACR industry as a career. Although I'm a little confused on what a Refrigeration mechanic actually does and what he doesn't do...

Do refrigeration mechanics only work on the "refrigeration" side of it or are they licensed to do any electrical/plumbing/gas parts of it too, or would a electrician do electrical, plumber do plumbing, gasfitter do gas? Do refrigeration mechanics do their own electrical and plumbing? Or would I have to get extra trade tickets to be certified to work on electrical?

Also when ductwork needs to be run say in residential or commercial settings, who actually installs the duct work? Is it sheet metal workers, or the HVAC guys? Do you have to be liscensed to do ductwork and sheet metal work?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Do I Need A License To Do Electrical/plumbing/ductwork/sheetmetal Too?

It all depends at where you live.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,822

Refrigeration work always requires a federal license.

Other licensing by state law.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #4

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Yes I know you need a license. But once I got a Journeyman refrigeration mechanic ticket, am I able to do electrical/plumbing on the system too? Or am I just authorized to do the refrigeration side of it?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
HVAC Old Timer

Rewards Points: 75

Come to New Jersey, put an ad in the paper to repair HVAC - no license needed. Join a few thousand others - and sell driveway surfacing, siding and any lot leftovers ...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Old School Marine

Trade: Union Journeyman Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCam View Post
Yes I know you need a license. But once I got a Journeyman refrigeration mechanic ticket, am I able to do electrical/plumbing on the system too? Or am I just authorized to do the refrigeration side of it?

Not really, you can't do plumbing tie ins, or electrical work in NJ without proper licenses.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Old School Marine

Trade: Union Journeyman Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatPro View Post
Come to New Jersey, put an ad in the paper to repair HVAC - no license needed. Join a few thousand others - and sell driveway surfacing, siding and any lot leftovers ...

You need a contractors license and an EPA cert. to work in NJ, if they don't turn them in.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
HVAC Old Timer

To sell new equipment and use credit sources you do, as well as insurance. Repairs can be done with no licenses in NJ. Buying refrigerant requires EPA cert, but there are plenty that will play with refrigerant as the world is now 'get away with what you can while you can' which includes going 20-30 mph over the speed limit wherever. Not to recommend it; but facts is ...
Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,822

well, iAmCam, you still haven't told us what state you're in. In my state (NM) you need a license to do anything.

A journeyman license will let you do the work the license is for. A contractors will let you contract to do the work your journeyman license is for.

So, to do refrigeration work as a contractor you need A) federal refrigeration license B) journeyman hvac license C) HVAC contractors license. You can contract for work you don't have a journeyman license for so long as you have the contractors license. That can be a challenge in electrical and mechanical because you can't get a contractors license without 2 years experience as a journeyman.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatPro View Post
To sell new equipment and use credit sources you do, as well as insurance. Repairs can be done with no licenses in NJ. Buying refrigerant requires EPA cert, but there are plenty that will play with refrigerant as the world is now 'get away with what you can while you can' which includes going 20-30 mph over the speed limit wherever. Not to recommend it; but facts is ...
I would be the 1st guy to turn in a handyman for using freon without a cert., I have turned in other contractors for dumping gas into a system they know is leaking. Including my last boss.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
HVAC Old Timer

That's the purpose in the EPA regs with leaking ref content over 50 lbs. Penalties of 5 years and $15,000 is possible. As most DIY's are going to be working on their own systems holding less than 5 lbs, it would be interesting to see the result of the report - or even to get to see them do it. DIY's can buy charged condensing units from the web or local supplier. Surely, working nearby on the neighbors unit at the same time is a possibility; though more frequently on a mall roof.