Carrier 58MVP Inducer Fan Noise?

Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier 58MVP Inducer Fan Noise?

Hello all!

I have a 3+ year old 58MVP furnace in my house which has recently started to make noises it didn't before. When the Inducer motor starts spinning there is a bumping noise (bump bump...bump...bump bump bump, etc.) coming from the plastic housing behind the motor which, I imagine, houses the inducer fan. Is this just normal eventually for these furnaces or should I prepare for a hefty bill in the near future. I am very worried because I paid a good dollar for the furnace, which is working fine except for the noise and cannot afford ($) any major problems right now. If anyone can offer any suggestions or comments I would very much appreciate it. Thanks very much!

Doug

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 AM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Carrier 58MVP Inducer Fan Noise?

Doug, check to see if there is no obstructions in the flue from the inducer, ice can form in them and can cause problems.

BJD

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2004, 08:06 AM   #3

It's above freezing here all the time, no chance of ice in the flue. There is also a PVC "screen" inserted in the end of the combustion air flue so it is highly unlikely anything is in there. I don't really know what I'm talking about but it sounds like a bearing is going or something and the fan inside the housing is bumping against the housing itself... Have you ever heard of this happening with these furnaces, its only three years old? Thanks for any more coments!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Doug
Sounds like it could be the blower wheel loose or a bad bearing. May also be something in the chamber that is floating around in there. See if Steve Wiggins may have more for you on this one.

Bernie
Old 03-11-2004, 04:03 AM   #5

Doug - Did you get a good answer? I have a similar problem. Inducer motor starts at high speed, has excessive vibration, and vibrates the pipes metal and plastic.

I have a 3+ year old 58MVP furnace in my house which has recently started to make noises it didn't before. When the Inducer motor starts spinning there is a bumping noise (bump bump...bump...bump bump bump, etc.) coming from the plastic housing behind the motor which, I imagine, houses the inducer fan. Is this just normal eventually for these furnaces or should I prepare for a hefty bill in the near future. I am very worried because I paid a good dollar for the furnace, which is working fine except for the noise and cannot afford ($) any major problems right now. If anyone can offer any suggestions or comments I would very much appreciate it. Thanks very much!

Doug[/QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #6

Question

The answer to this problem seems obvious to me. The 58MVP is still under warranty, is it not? Call a certified service tech and get it fixed! Waiting will only result in more potential problems, and those $ you say you don't have will become your responsibility to provide to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Hello all!

Doug

Old 03-17-2004, 05:43 AM   #7

Doug
I think if you look at your paper work you will find out that the exchanger is warrenteed for 5 years, parts such as blower motor are only 1 year.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:41 PM   #8

all equipment since jan 2002 have a 5 yr parts warrantee. longer for heat exchanger.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #9

I need a heating and cooling system for my house. I have decided to go with a Carrier 58MVP propane furnace and a Carrier 38TDB 16 SEER air conditioner unit over a heat pump. I have heard lots of stories of heat pumps being too cold in teens and single digit temps. Does everyone like the overall performance of the 58MVP? This is a big purchase for me. Any opinions on this set up. How much would a geothermal system cost for a 1,900 sq.ft. house?

I have been offered a $1000.00 rebate or a 10yr warranty parts & labor. Or a 10 year warranty parts & labor for $800.00 after the $1,000.00 rebate. Is
this a good deal?

Old 05-29-2004, 03:59 PM   #10

Hi folks!

Sorry it took me a while to reply but I've been reno-ing my top floor for the last 5 months.

The problem in my case (which two professional technicians failed to pick-up on) was that the exhaust port (plumbed with 2" PVC) was sloping down rather than up and water was accumulating in the end of the run and causing slopping and gurgling which was literally echoing down to the inducer fan housing. I simply cut the pipe where it exited the house (wall of house under sundeck -> 4' -> outside wall of house), drilled another 21/2" hole right above the original giving 21/2 more rise at the end and reattached the end on the original exhaust (elbows and rise to achieve minimum 7' above grade or whatever it is). Now my furnace works flawlessly thanks to nobody but myself.

The original installers have since been bought by another local shop (if they couldn't do it right the first time then no more chances anyway) and one of the companies I called to come and try to fix it sent a bonafide idiot to give it a shot which ended in a mis-aligned burner plate (reported to BBB and got my money back after a letter war) and my subsequent call to another company which gave me good service but didn't fix the complaint. The City inspector who came to inspect the installation passed it.

Again, I have nobody to thank but myself for finally having a really nice system. Thought some may be interested in the outcome so there you go and thanks for the input.

To Unregistered: I would highly recommend this furnace which, even improperly installed, has given me perfect heating and air circulation with very low gas bills. I have a fairly well insulated 70s split level house and can pay nothing in the Summer up to C$80 month in the coldest of Winter (Vancouver, B.C.) maintaining 19 degrees C (67 F).

Advertisement

Last edited by Doug; 05-29-2004 at 04:01 PM.