Burnham Boilers

Old 03-04-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
Pro

Rewards Points: 250
Thumbs down

Burnham Boilers

Boys I really think these guys from Burnham think everyone that owns and or install them is a dumb as a bag of hammers.
Too this day I have never had a Burnham gas and or oil fired steam boiler last more than 8 years, they never seem to make warranty.

To add to the mayhem, Burnham will not pay any replacement costs, they will however provide another block and or sections for the repairs.

Belive me I have installed so many of these pieces of ***** and had to replace almost as many on my own warrenty program.

Now Keyspan is using Burnham as a new service type boiler, you know the free ones homeowners get with a new gas line.

Any of you guys had problems with burnham steam systems.

Bjd

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #2

Trade: Interior Design and Decorating
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Burnham Boilers

Responding to an old posting just received on a Burnham search. My Burnham V88 leaked after 2 1/2 years. Burnham replaced the iron and gave only $800 for labor, costing me another $1650. Later found Burnham has had problems. Will not recommend Burnham to anyone.

Last edited by Ivan the Great; 12-24-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
HVAC Tech, NATE certified

Trade: Hvac technician. Boehmer Heating
Rewards Points: 75

weil mclain or lennox are my favorites. relatively low maint. and reliable. Vaillant too.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Dr Heat

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 284

weil mclain
Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #5

Trade: heating and air conditioning
Thumbs down

I have installed burnham boilers and they dont last 10 years and to get warranty is the most difficult in the trade and I will never install another one. The company tries their best to always pass off the warranty claims on the contractor or homeowner.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Plumbing is a Profession

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC
Rewards Points: 150

Gentlemen, Burnham fiesta. Need I say more?

Weil Mclain
HB Smith
Peerless
Utica
Energy Kinetics System 2000
ThermoPride
Ruud \Rheem
Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #7

Trade: HVAC

I have several accounts with Burnham boilers that range from 5 years to 13 years. I haven't had any problems with the boilers, i have had control issues though. Once the boiler is set-up correctly and you put an analyzer on it to check for efficiency you shouldn't have a problem as long as you pm it annually. Leaks are usually caused by problems related to water treatment, right!?! Here in Va we have a fairly nuetral ph. but we still run additives in the system loop to prevent corrosion and preserve the integrity of the boiler.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #8

Trade: heating
Thumbs down

Found this sight by accident. Wish I could say same for Burnham. Replaced a leaking V7 steam with a V8 back in 2001. V7 was 9 yrs. old. Customer had 2 boilers in house. His and his tennants. Replaced first boiler in 2001, second in 2003. Fast forward to Oct. 2009. Got a call for smoke coming from chimney and water feeding continuously on tennants boiler, also a V8. Serviced the boiler and smoking stopped. Looked at other boiler and in 30 yrs. have never seen anything like it. Took top off and the cast was completely corroded. After I cleared the loose stuff off you could actually see the water in the boiler. Called Burnham and they didn't even seem surprised. Some excuse about chemicals in water were attacking the cast like a cancer. Didn't even want to see the damage. As of this writing I am waiting for the repacement (mega steam). It's been over a week. Two days ago I got another call from the customer, smoke coming from the chimney. Not black but white. I went and opened up the boiler with the top off and guess what. Leaking like a sieve. This one I installed in 2003 replacing a 30 steam that was still running problem free. Monday I now have to call Burnham again for another replacement and I haven't even got the first yet. To end this tale of woe I should mention of all the boilers I have installed, these two are in my brothers house. Looking forward to a happy family holiday. Thank you for letting me vent. Obviously, no more Burnhams.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Buderus: clap:
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,280

The Burnham V7 series, had problems when it was used as a water boiler. The steam held up fine.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC
Rewards Points: 500

Funny thing with Burnham is that around 15-20 years ago, their distributors were giving their boilers away for free to contractors here, just to get their brand established in the area.
Needless to say, they were considered contractor grade... meaning cheap.

I actually still have one of their older 80% oil fired dry-bottom models with a tankless in my house. I think it was installed around 1993 or ‘94, so replacement has been on the "to do" list for a while now.

Last edited by DuMass; 11-07-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,280

I still work on some of their 50 year old Jubilee's.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #13

Trade: Commercial Management

We purchased 20 v-series burnham boilers. Almost all leak and had to be replaced in first 10 years of service.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Master of Plumbing, Steam and Hot Water design
Rewards Points: 93

Mixing steam and hydronic boiler reviews gets a little complicated. Like condensing boilers, steam boilers can be very installation sensitive. Steam boilers must be installed and maintained (chemicals) or the boiler will die in a hurry, regardless of manufacturer.

I have installed the latest Burnham Alpine condensing boilers and even their new ES-2 "mid" efficiency cast iron boiler (I do very few atmospherics, but this one has a plug-in outdoor reset and fit the my customer's budget). I was impressed with both and haven't had problems with them.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #15

Trade: Commercial Management

Burnham's new boilers are fine. As I understand it they changed the manufacturing process and models because the V-series leaked.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #16

Trade: Plumbing and Heating
Rewards Points: 75

I've never dealt with Burnham, but heard a few stories to give me plenty of reasons not to do so in the future.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #17

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to mdiack77

I love installing and servicing Burnham. I actually prefer them over Weil Mclain. And their service after the installation is second to none.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Mold Remediation

In my point of view, I think (name removed by staff) are very efficient and fast. The problem with may is that they don't install it properly causing problems henceforth.

Last edited by rselectric1; 12-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Master of Plumbing, Steam and Hot Water design
Rewards Points: 93

I could tell you stories about all the boiler manufacturers - foreign and domestic. But I won't, since all would be anecdotal. It really comes down to the local support and the quality of the installation.

I have found that most boiler problems are self-inflected.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Dr Heat

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 284

[I have found that most boiler problems are self-inflected.[/QUOTE]

by the boiler or the insaller?