Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

boiler plumbing question

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  able14 
#1 ·
not sure if this should be in plumbing or hvac...

I'm looking at a boiler system that failed the 5 year inspection b/c the supply into the boiler has a 'T' w/ the pressure release valve on one side. The inspector said the shutoff valve should be between the pressure regulator valve and the boiler and also the pressure release is not supposed to be mounted on the same leg the water supply is located. There is more plumbing located on the boiler-is there a certain place the pressure relief valve should be mounted-or can I tap in anywhere?

#2 ·

Here is a picture of the boiler-sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate it. The supply is the tube coming from the top (if rotated 90 degrees) which feeds into the 'T' and has the pressure relief valve on one side and supply into the boiler on the other. Where should I move the pressure relief valve to?

#3 ·
boiler piping

the relif valve is usaly located coming out of the top or rear of the boiler should be piped so the inlet of valve is vertical so it doesnt fill with sediment and should be piped 6 inches from the floor with a 45 deg angle cut on pipe so it cant be capped but some boiler manufactures give you a header to come off boiler supply with the gauge like buderus . Watts makes a combination feed and relif valve wich would put safety valve in the boiler feed the only reason I would not use one is youre suposed to have a shut off on both sides of the auto feed and by code you cant have a shut of piped before a relif valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.