Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Bidding strapping and taping old duct work temporarily

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jpplumbing 
#1 ·
We have a customer who plans on hiring us to do a complete remodel and addition when the weather clears up, but wants us to make his very old duct work operational just for this winter before we tear it out.

We have had two of our HVAC partners go in and bid, and they bid time and materials which the customer won't accept, and they want to replace all the ducts.

They are NOT in that bad of shape - so we think we can strap them and tape them just for now and then hire the HVAC people to completely redo them when we have a print and better idea of where they should go.

The problem is, we have no idea how to bid this! It is roughly 100 feet of duct work that will need strapped in order to get good air flow and taped about every 4 ' or so.

What would you recommend we bid so we don't lose our rears?

#2 ·
I would estimate the time to strap and tape, then double it. Add standard profit and overhead based on the total price.

My bid would be specific. We will do the following ...
I would add a disclaimer, the system is old and in need of replacement. This repair is a stopgap that we believe will improve the current system but the existing system cannot be made to function properly so we are unable to provide any guarantee of acceptable performance.

#3 ·
Crawlspace? Basement? 12' in the air? I would think if its a crawlspace that you can easily navigate and move around in it could be done by 1 guy in a half day or less. Couple of rolls of good furnace duct tape, a box of roofing nails and 100' of plastic strapping should be fairly cheap.

You could always throw the owner a 'bone' and charge them $500 but tell them you will give them that much off toward the major remodel estimate (assuming its 'major') if they sign in the next 90 days. That way if they never call you back you still made a little money on the 'duct' job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.