Best Way To Heat/Cool Addition

Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Can't Post

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 25

Best Way To Heat/Cool Addition

What in your opinion is the best way to heat and cool a 225 sq foot addition with a powder room. The house has no central air and it has hot water heat.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,998

Re: Best Way To Heat/Cool Addition

For heat, add another zone. Make it consistent and part of the structure, not a mismatched add-on. For A/C, sell them a system for the whole house. Why would you cool just the addition?

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Interested to see what the "Pro's" got to say. We're looking at a garage for a customer to work on old muscle cars, so in-slab radiant heat seems best choice, and I've got my HVAC guy looking into a Mitsubishi unit for cooling. I'm interested in anybody with experience real-world. Sounds almost too good to be true, but seems flexible enough for almost any add-on situation.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,276

small wall heat pump system-good for cooling and heating. various sizes-3/4 ton, 1 ton, etc.. I wouldn't recommend that for a garage setting b/c of the openous -you might need to oversize to compensate for lack of airflow resistance (housewrap) and poor insulation. The wall units are similar to what you might find in a hotel room, but it's a heat pump.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
Interested to see what the "Pro's" got to say. We're looking at a garage for a customer to work on old muscle cars, so in-slab radiant heat seems best choice, and I've got my HVAC guy looking into a Mitsubishi unit for cooling. I'm interested in anybody with experience real-world. Sounds almost too good to be true, but seems flexible enough for almost any add-on situation.
Radiant heat in a slab ? The majority of the floor will be covered cars and tool cabinets. Why is this even a good idea.......?

What about a split system. Condenser / compressor outside. Air handler inside. Or a package HVAC unit. Just need a 2' sq hole in the lower part of the wall. The unit sits on the concrete floor takes up a 2' x 2' space there. Ductwork extends to the ceiling with a supply vent at the top. Return is at the bottom. How big is the garage ? A 1.5 ton 55,000 btu unit is about $3500-$4000 installed. Avail Nat Gas, Propane, Elec Heat Pump.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

What we're gonna do is a new purpose built free standing. My thought is if the guy's working on cars, heat at floor level is what counts. Bummer laying on slab in Indiana January with all the heat buzzin' around 5' off the floor.
Also thought this might a pply to original post, who seems to need to add another zone for heat, and separate cooling system. This is the one I'm talking about:<http://www.mrslim.com/products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=24>
Just thought the two might have something in common

Last edited by neolitic; 09-26-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 640

Quote:
What we're gonna do is a new purpose built free standing. My thought is if the guy's working on cars, heat at floor level is what counts. Bummer laying on slab in Indiana January with all the heat buzzin' around 5' off the floor.

Don't shops of any type have potential to have equipment bolted to the concrete ?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
Curmudgeon

Not if he's got tubing in there
Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Electro-Mech. Contr.

Trade: Mechanical Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I have done both radiant and FHA for garages, nothing beats radiant in a slab, you can blow scorched air at a slab all day and 20 minutes after it's off so is the heat. Hot air has no residual.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I have done both radiant and FHA for garages, nothing beats radiant in a slab, you can blow scorched air at a slab all day and 20 minutes after it's off so is the heat. Hot air has no residual.
That's where we're coming from here, He isn't gonna be taking a shower there, but he's gonna be on that slab alot. The cooling is the thing I'm puzzling on, he came across the Mitshubisi, Mr. Slim, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them, and would it have an advantage over a through-the-wall?
Didn't mean to hijack Sandy's thread, just thought for him another zone and maybe the Mr. Slim might be his ticket too.

Last edited by neolitic; 09-27-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: alzheimers
Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,276

you're talking about radiant heated floors, and it sounds cozy. What happens when he opens the garage door to carry in a transmission and 10 minutes of 30 degree weather flushes through the garage-how long will it take to warm up. I'm guessing the energy retention in the slab is great-how long does it take to warm up when you want to work inside (like coming out the next day-does it take a long time to come back up to temperature)?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
you're talking about radiant heated floors, and it sounds cozy. What happens when he opens the garage door to carry in a transmission and 10 minutes of 30 degree weather flushes through the garage-how long will it take to warm up. I'm guessing the energy retention in the slab is great-how long does it take to warm up when you want to work inside (like coming out the next day-does it take a long time to come back up to temperature)?
You don't switch it on/off like a space heater. You'd have to leave the door up for hours to make much difference. Well insulated the system won't be "calling" for heat as much as a forced air.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Owner / General Manager

Trade: HVAC/R Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Check into a mini ductless split system.
Easy to install and moderately priced.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,538

Quote:
My chassis shop is a 20 X 36 pole barn, ten feet tall, I insulated it and heat it with a corn burning furnace. Much cheaper than natural gas, and if corn gets to expensive it can burn wood pellets, cherry pits, or soybeans.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpi View Post
My chassis shop is a 20 X 36 pole barn, ten feet tall, I insulated it and heat it with a corn burning furnace. Much cheaper than natural gas, and if corn gets to expensive it can burn wood pellets, cherry pits, or soybeans.
Pretty sure this guy won't want to be collecting cherry pits--at least not to heat his garage This guy thinks it's too much trouble to hire someone to mow the grass Looking at something close to the size of yours, trying to fudge the ratio of garage size to house size for zoning req.
The slab heat makes the most sense in this case. Maybe he'll be out there every day after work, maybe not for two weeks, maybe an hour before work -- always ready for you to lay down on the floor, or what ever. It's the cooling that he keeps going 'round with.
Where've you got a pole barn? Wicker Park?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,538

Quote:
Pretty sure this guy won't want to be collecting cherry pits--at least not to heat his garage This guy thinks it's too much trouble to hire someone to mow the grass Looking at something close to the size of yours, trying to fudge the ratio of garage size to house size for zoning req.
The slab heat makes the most sense in this case. Maybe he'll be out there every day after work, maybe not for two weeks, maybe an hour before work -- always ready for you to lay down on the floor, or what ever. It's the cooling that he keeps going 'round with.
Where've you got a pole barn? Wicker Park?
I rent it in an industrial park not far from my house. It was a storage building for a pallet making company, but they downsized and no longer needed it.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpi View Post
I rent it in an industrial park not far from my house. It was a storage building for a pallet making company, but they downsized and no longer needed it.
What with all the cast iron, greenfield... whatever code deals up there, I'm surprised that they let you burn stuff!
Think they'll ever get over that little O'Leary flap?
BTW, one of my son's friends calls his neighborhood "Little Ukraine", know where he's talking about?

Last edited by neolitic; 10-27-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: senility
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #18

Trade: all
Rewards Points: 10

I know a little about those "Mr Slim" Mitsubishi units you referred to a few posts back... We have two at my work...they're great for ac - plenty powerful enough for a garage - only prob we've had is with the condensation pumps not being strong enough. Apparently, the pump was only designed to pump the condensation out 4 feet up....our ceiling, to our roof is 6 feet so we've had to change our condensation pumps quite a few times, finally deciding to do away with the pump and let it gravity drain into a bucket.

Advertisement