Amana Hi-Eff Furnace Fan Operation

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall Finisher
Rewards Points: 75

Amana Hi-Eff Furnace Fan Operation

I'm in Calgary Canada , i run the fan in summer to keep it cool , but have heard i should have it running 24hr for circulation . I do like the idea of keeping the air moving , but is that just from people that want to replace the fan when it croaks ...? I have a Amana AMVC95 , love it but dont want to blow it up ,

Thanks ,

Chris

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 2,456

Re: Amana Hi-Eff Furnace Fan Operation

Fan wont expire prematurely because it was run 24/7. Motors if set in the correct application, will run for two to three zillion hours continuously. Having said that, the bearings do need to be lubricated periodically, if not, then motor failure.

Crispy (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Trade: Drywall Finisher
Rewards Points: 75

Lubricating the bearings , is that something they would do in a Duct clean service call , or more likely in a Furnace check/tune call . Furnace is only 1 yr old i need a duct clean more than a tune up i would imagine . Something i can do myself ?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,276

I remember the older furnace fans had tubes which you could pour oil in. Can one even lube a modern fan?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,240

That furnace has a VS ECM blower. You can't oil them.
No harm to the motor running it 24/7.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Crispy (06-05-2013)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Pro

Granted, I haven't taken one apart yet, but I would say, sure you can. The "sealed" bearings can be lubricated. Fortunately they don't need to be lubricated every year or so, but if you want to do preventitive maintenance, every three years or so, I would take off the end caps and put a few drops of oil on the wicking media.

Those v.s. motors are too spendy to not be able to lubricate....
Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Granted, I haven't taken one apart yet, but I would say, sure you can. The "sealed" bearings can be lubricated. Fortunately they don't need to be lubricated every year or so, but if you want to do preventitive maintenance, every three years or so, I would take off the end caps and put a few drops of oil on the wicking media.

Those v.s. motors are too spendy to not be able to lubricate....
Flash, I believe all the ECMís use permanently lubricated, sealed ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings, like many PSC motors. That is probably why they can run continuously at very low speeds, if needed, without bearing damage. Iím not sure you could oil them even if you wanted, but if you did, it might degrade or ruin the factory installed lubricant.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuMass For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMass View Post
Flash, I believe all the ECMís use permanently lubricated, sealed ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings, like many PSC motors. That is probably why they can run continuously at very low speeds, if needed, without bearing damage. Iím not sure you could oil them even if you wanted, but if you did, it might degrade or ruin the factory installed lubricant.
Yep, ball bearings. Take one apart after 3 years, and you can lose the rest of the warranty on it. Sleeve bearings wouldn't last a year on a VS that ran 24/7, and probably be limited to 2 years on one that wasn't ran 24/7.

I don't recall ever having never had the bearings go out on a VS ECM motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,276

Probably for the best. Most homeowners won't change a filter, so you're high if you think a motor will ever get lubricated.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Pro

I too have never seen a vs motor go bad at the bearrings, but, things do dry up after-time. Guys, I appreciate the heads-up on the ball bearing thing. I know that no matter how jolly I feel, I will never have a hankering to purchase a vs motor for a customer (no good deed goes unpunished x 12). Is there anything stating something about replacing the bearings after say, ten years.

If something goes bad due to a customer not doing their part with maintenance, shame on them. But, if not, there is shame on us. I would hate to explain to the homeowner that the reason for no heat/cool is because of a bad motor and the cost will be $750.00, especially in the middle of winter.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
I too have never seen a vs motor go bad at the bearrings, but, things do dry up after-time. Guys, I appreciate the heads-up on the ball bearing thing. I know that no matter how jolly I feel, I will never have a hankering to purchase a vs motor for a customer (no good deed goes unpunished x 12). Is there anything stating something about replacing the bearings after say, ten years.

If something goes bad due to a customer not doing their part with maintenance, shame on them. But, if not, there is shame on us. I would hate to explain to the homeowner that the reason for no heat/cool is because of a bad motor and the cost will be $750.00, especially in the middle of winter.

I look at it the other way. If the motor goes out after 10 years. And they run their blower 24/7. then that VS motor has saved them 1500 plus dollars in electric, and they are paying to replace it with the money they have saved.

More likely, the motor won't be what went out, it will be the module, which is far cheaper then the motor.