2 Stage Thermostat Reccomendation

Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

Trade: Home Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10
Question

2 Stage Thermostat Reccomendation

A customer asked me to install a 5-2 programmable thermostat on their 2 stage AC system. The last time I did this a customer had me install a Ritetemp thermostat that he bought at Home Depot and all that he did was complain that his home got too hot before the 2nd stage kicked on and then he got too cold. I did some research and found that Ritetemp 2 stage thermostats have a little more than a 2 deg swing before the second stage is activated, this meant that when he set the thermo @ 76 the temp would get to almost 79 before the second stage came on. I told him this but he refused to look into a more accurate thermostat. We are in South Florida and the summers here are brutal.

This new customer wants me to provide the thermostat. I am asking for recommendations for a good quality 2 stage thermostat which will not allow the temp to climb 2 or 3 degrees before the 2nd stage kicks in. I looked at some Honeywells but lack the experience to know which is best. She wants the cost to stay under $100. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-20-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Been there done that

Trade: Certified General, Plumbing, & HVAC Contractor

Re: 2 Stage Thermostat Reccomendation

Honeywell is really the only brand I will sell/install. A good one designed for the application you need will cost more than $100.00. With the better t-stats you can change the set points on the stages.

Most two stage t-stats are factory set to run the second stage on anything three degrees and above and just the first stage on two and below, meaning that if it is 79 and you are trying for 76 the second stage will kick in until 78 degrees is reached and then drop the second stage.

I'm not sure why he would be too cold. It sounds as if there is something wrong with the current t-stat, I have had alot of problems with Rite-Temps and wouldn't give them away.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #3

I was planning on using the RTH7600D, do you have an opinion?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I was planning on using the RTH7600D, do you have an opinion?
Thats a cheap box store thermostat.

TH6220, TH8320, Or YTH9421.

Both the 8000 and 9421 are over 100 bucks wholesale.

The 9421 doesn't make a clicking sound. People often don't like the clicking noise that digital thermostats make
It will hold the indoor temp within 1° of set temp, as long as the A/C can maintain temp.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Well I ordered the Honeywell TH8320U1008, I think it will work well. Also who ever installed her thermostat placed it on the opposite side of the LARGE room from the AC air intake in a corner with no doorways close and little air movement. I am planning on relocating it to the wall about 4 feet away from the air intake.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Pro

Your welcome
Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: student again
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Thats a cheap box store thermostat.

TH6220, TH8320, Or YTH9421.

Both the 8000 and 9421 are over 100 bucks wholesale.

The 9421 doesn't make a clicking sound. People often don't like the clicking noise that digital thermostats make
It will hold the indoor temp within 1° of set temp, as long as the A/C can maintain temp.
But the functional difference being?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Pro

The RTH has some features reduced from the TH series.

Can't tell you what all features anymore.

I think the RTH7500 is suppose to be somewhat the same as the TH8320, not sure anymore.

The warranty on all TH series is 5 years.

I think you'll find the RTH series is 1 year, not sure, don't use them anymore.

The last time I used one. It didn't have all the abilities of the TH model it was suppose to be equal to. Also seemed to click louder also.

So the relays transistors, etc may be of a lower grade/wider tolerance, that is not allowed in the TH series.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
The RTH has some features reduced from the TH series.

Can't tell you what all features anymore.

I think the RTH7500 is suppose to be somewhat the same as the TH8320, not sure anymore.

The warranty on all TH series is 5 years.

I think you'll find the RTH series is 1 year, not sure, don't use them anymore.

The last time I used one. It didn't have all the abilities of the TH model it was suppose to be equal to. Also seemed to click louder also.

So the relays transistors, etc may be of a lower grade/wider tolerance, that is not allowed in the TH series.
Clicking doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure if its consumer driven complaint or contractor driven up-sell. The quality claim is just a marketing ploy unless the reliability specifications are actually in the data sheet.

Honeywell has market segmentation based on "pro install" vs "DIY install" but I think the only difference is to satisfy contractors by giving them a chance to sell by not offering "pro install" models through DIY distribution chain.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Light View Post
Clicking doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure if its consumer driven complaint or contractor driven up-sell. The quality claim is just a marketing ploy unless the reliability specifications are actually in the data sheet.

Honeywell has market segmentation based on "pro install" vs "DIY install" but I think the only difference is to satisfy contractors by giving them a chance to sell by not offering "pro install" models through DIY distribution chain.
The clicking noise complaint. Is directly from customers. As contractors. We don't care about the clicking noise. Since it isn't in our house. Sounds terrible. But, why would I worry about a clicking noise that I don't hear.

Reliability. I've changed out alot of retail thermostats, compared to commercial/trade thermostats.

A DIYer wants to buy his own stat and install it. Fine, I could care less. Until I get called out for no heat or cooling at 2 AM. And its the cheap retail thermostat that is the problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
The clicking noise complaint. Is directly from customers. As contractors. We don't care about the clicking noise. Since it isn't in our house. Sounds terrible. But, why would I worry about a clicking noise that I don't hear.

Reliability. I've changed out alot of retail thermostats, compared to commercial/trade thermostats.
Ok, but of the resi system you work on, how much of them would you say have "retail" thermostats? I see more broken down Hondas on the road than BMWs but it doesn't surprise me because there are a lot more Hondas on the road.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Light View Post
Ok, but of the resi system you work on, how much of them would you say have "retail" thermostats? I see more broken down Hondas on the road than BMWs but it doesn't surprise me because there are a lot more Hondas on the road.
Thats my point. Far more systems/homes will have the commercial/trade thermostats. But, in number alone. More of the retail thermostats will fail.

EG:
50 retail thermostats. 6 failures.
300 commercial/trade thermostats, 3 failures.

This is comparing the TH (commercial/trade) series to the RT series of retail thermostats.

While those are not exact numbers. They are representative, of the rate I see.

The retail actually fail more often then my example. Since many retails will be replaced by the DIYer that installed the failed one.

And from talking to other tradesmen, they see the same basic failure rates.