Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Travel time to work query

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  overanalyze 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My employer has recently changed its views and is now saying i must be "onsite" for 8:30-5 my question is as this does NOT include any travel time is this allowed? sometimes it can be a 2 hour drive to "site" which effectivly comes out of my time according to them which i think is unfair as i could end up doing a 12-13 hour day and only get paid for 8. Are there and government regulations on this? i.e upto 30 minintes travel time which is what im hearing through the grape vine.

Obviouslly im not being unreasonable here i understand that i cant be getting paid the minute i set foot out of my front door and that some of this has to come out of my time.

Regards

Edit: forgot to mention i dont currently have a contract and this is whats going to be on it when it comes.

#2 ·
I could be wrong, but I don't know of any restrictions on travel time. I think it is up to the individual employee to either move closer to the job or quit if being forced to work such a large area without any compensation.

For me, if we are doing a job requiring excessive travel time, I try and offer something to the guys to balance it out. Of course, I would love to only work in a 10 mile radius but....

Dave

#4 ·
Drive time is on you.

Once in awhile I'll kick a fill up of gas to a hand if they have been far AND working their butt off.

But it's not expected or required.

Fair days pay for a fair days work

If you want to get paid to drive I hear there is a truck driver shortage...:whistling

#5 ·
Pulled straight from JIB site :

11.2 Travelling Time and Travel Allowances

11.2.1 Travelling Time and Travel Allowances

Operatives who are required to start and finish on jobs over 15 miles each way from the Shop shall in addition to receiving the appropriate Job Employed Rate be entitled to Travelling Time and Travel Allowance if Job Employed (Own Transport) or Travelling Time if Job Employed (Transport Provided) in line with the tables below.

Note: Special arrangements may apply for work in the Merseyside area. Please contact the JIB Industrial Relations Department if you feel this may be applicable.

The electrical contracting industry has special arrangements regarding taxation of Travel Allowance. Employers are advised to check the current position with the ECA's Employee Relations Department on 020 7313 4800.

Operatives who are required to start and finish at the normal starting and finishing time on jobs which are 15 miles and over from the shop - in a straight line - shall receive payment for Travelling Time and, where transport is not provided by the employer, Travel Allowance, as follows:

http://www.jib.org.uk/handbook.aspx?cid=18

#6 ·
In Oregon, I have been told
1. if I require an employee to drive a company vehicle to the job, they are on the clock.
2.If I require an employee to stop and pick-up material on the way to the job, they are on the clock.
3.If I tell them to be on the job site and do not require them to drive a company vehicle, they are not on the clock until they are on the job.
4. If they are a passenger in a company vehicle, going to the job, I can pay or not pay them for the time. I am just being a nice guy and giving them a ride.

But, after they are hired on permanently, I do supply a vehicle and they do get paid to drive to the job. If 2 drive to the job, both get paid. That tends to balance the crappy wages I pay them. Some appreciate an un-taxed benfit and some do not. Those that do not, may not stay employeed at my company.

#11 ·
I would put up with that for a while, if it was just for a few jobs, but that's an expensive situation that significantly reduces your hourly rate.

Company owners here are eager to track every penny of their overhead -- well, guys, your employees have overhead too.

It's just like you said -- You'll be working a 12-13 hour day, for 8 hours of pay. Can you tolerate that until it is likely to change, or will you change it somehow?

#12 ·
Company vehicle, yes you get paid. Just getting you to work with your own tools, nope. Now a decent boss will at least throw you some has money. You mentioned something about your contract in your op...if you're a sub then travel time is up to you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.