It's Getting Hot Out There, People.........

Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,400

It's Getting Hot Out There, People.........

Heat-Related Dangers
Know What These Terms Mean:
Heat wave: Prolonged period of excessive heat and humidity. The National Weather Service steps up its procedures to alert the public during these periods of excessive heat and humidity.
Heat index: A number in degrees Fahrenheit (F) that tells how hot it really feels when relative humidity is added to the actual air temperature. Exposure to full sunshine can increase the heat index by 15 degrees F.
Heat cramps: Heat cramps are muscular pains and spasms due to heavy exertion. Although heat cramps are the least severe, they are an early signal that the body is having trouble with the heat.
Heat exhaustion: Heat exhaustion typically occurs when people exercise heavily or work in a hot, humid place where body fluids are lost through heavy sweating. Blood flow to the skin increases, causing blood flow to decrease to the vital organs. This results in a form of mild shock. If not treated, the victim may suffer heat stroke.
Heat stroke: Heat stroke is life-threatening. The victim's temperature control system, which produces sweating to cool the body, stops working. The body temperature can rise so high that brain damage and death may result if the body is not cooled quickly.
Sunstroke: Another term for heat stroke.

If a Heat Wave is Predicted or Happening
Slow down. Avoid strenuous activity. If you must do strenuous activity, do it during the coolest part of the day, which is usually in the morning between 4:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
Stay indoors as much as possible. If air conditioning is not available, stay on the lowest floor, out of the sunshine. Try to go to a public building with air conditioning each day for several hours. Remember, electric fans do not cool the air, but they do help sweat evaporate, which cools your body.
Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun's energy.
Drink plenty of water regularly and often. Your body needs water to keep cool.
Drink plenty of fluids even if you do not feel thirsty.
Water is the safest liquid to drink during heat emergencies. Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine in them. They can make you feel good briefly, but make the heat's effects on your body worse. This is especially true about beer, which dehydrates the body.
Eat small meals and eat more often. Avoid foods that are high in protein, which increase metabolic heat. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.

Signals of Heat Emergencies
Heat exhaustion: Cool, moist, pale, or flushed skin; heavy sweating; headache; nausea or vomiting; dizziness; and exhaustion. Body temperature will be near normal.
Heat stroke: Hot, red skin; changes in consciousness; rapid, weak pulse; and rapid, shallow breathing. Body temperature can be very high-- as high as 105 degrees F. If the person was sweating from heavy work or exercise, skin may be wet; otherwise, it will feel dry.

Treatment of Heat Emergencies
Heat cramps: Get the person to a cooler place and have him or her rest in a comfortable position. Lightly stretch the affected muscle and replenish fluids. Give a half glass of cool water every 15 minutes. Do not give liquids with alcohol or caffeine in them, as they can make conditions worse.
Heat exhaustion: Get the person out of the heat and into a cooler place. Remove or loosen tight clothing and apply cool, wet cloths, such as towels or sheets. If the person is conscious, give cool water to drink. Make sure the person drinks slowly. Give a half glass of cool water every 15 minutes. Do not give liquids that contain alcohol or caffeine. Let the victim rest in a comfortable position, and watch carefully for changes in his or her condition.
Heat stroke: Heat stroke is a life-threatening situation. Help is needed fast. Call 911 or your local emergency number. Move the person to a cooler place. Quickly cool the body. Immerse victim in a cool bath, or wrap wet sheets around the body and fan it. Watch for signals of breathing problems. Keep the person lying down and continue to cool the body any way you can. If the victim refuses water or is vomiting or there are changes in the level of consciousness, do not give anything to eat or drink.
angus242 (07-05-2010), bhock (07-05-2010), Kent Whitten (07-05-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #2

Trade: Safety Consulting and Web Design
Rewards Points: 10

Re: It's Getting Hot Out There, People.........

The best heat stress control is a well informed workforce. Heat stress is the only physical agent that is totally dependent on the individual. Some people take heat well, others overheat rather easily.

I have a free toolbox talk on my website with some information you can go over with your employees. Feel free to check it out.

OSHA does not have any specific PEL for heat stress (primarily because metabolic rate can only be determined qualitatively). This means that OSHA will cite it on the General Duty Clause.

More information on how OSHA asseses heat stress is in chapter five of the OSHA Technical Manual.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Keep salt tablets on hand and eat plenty of bananas. I'll shower over lunch if I'm close to home. I've also heard to put some ice packs under your arms if you're getting very warm. Haven't tried that one.

Take a break in a cool basement? Ocassional dunking in the water barrel?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #4

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

You could also try soaking your hat in water and letting the evaporation help keep your head cool
Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,400

I find have a couple of these helps. I wear one for an hour, then swap it for the cold on from the cooler.

I'm not plugging that particular brand, just the concept.

They're simply a cloth tube sewn up with desiccant inside it...... I think the same stuff you find in those little packages inside the boxes of lights and fans that say "Do Not Eat" on them.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Wood Butcher

Trade: Remodels/Custom Cabinets/Granite Countertops
Rewards Points: 500

Great thread.
And I agree with sparky, the cool neck wraps are great.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,374

Typically, from around June 15th until August 1st, we have 100 degree days here, with 30 days over 100 nearly every year....and today, 10:28 am, 67 degrees. Coolest July I remember....been 70 for the last 3 days, with rain.

Al Gore?

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Florida GC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Hot & humid? Welcome to Florida!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
New Guy

Trade: Roofer
Rewards Points: 25

I take a 4 litre (1 gallon) jug, half full of water, 2 teaspoons of sea salt (definitely not table salt, although it will work), 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 packet of Kool-Aid and freeze it. Before leaving in the morning I fill it to the top with more water.

I take a t-shirt and soak it with water, then tie it around my head like a pirate, and I keep soaking it every 15 minutes or so.

Shade breaks as needed.

This is an old one, but I just tried it the other day. Brought the watering hose up on the roof (re-roof) and soaked the shingled portion of the roof, dropped the temp by at least 10 degrees if not more, also helps to keep from scuffing the shingles.

Stay cool.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I find have a couple of these helps. I wear one for an hour, then swap it for the cold on from the cooler.

I'm not plugging that particular brand, just the concept.

They're simply a cloth tube sewn up with desiccant inside it...... I think the same stuff you find in those little packages inside the boxes of lights and fans that say "Do Not Eat" on them.
My wife swears by those things........she's always hot .

On the serious side, make sure you drink a ton of water every day during the summer when the temps are up!

There is no excuse showing up to work with no water in the summer. There always seems to be some knucklehead showing up without it.

Forgot to mention, long sleeve shirt and brim hat is a must out in the sun!

Advertisement

Last edited by Big Shoe; 07-11-2010 at 07:26 PM.