Modular Connectors (not Plugs) And Stranded Wire? - Low Voltage - Contractor Talk

Modular Connectors (not Plugs) And Stranded Wire?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #1

Trade: Structured Cabling
Rewards Points: 25

Modular Connectors (not Plugs) And Stranded Wire?

Would like to get your comments and opinions on using stranded wire with modular connectors?

Currently, ICC modular connectors do not support the use of stranded wire only solid.

In these challenging economic times, it appears that more and more installers are using stranded wire even for their backbone voice wiring.

Thanks for your feedback!

-Marco

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,712

Re: Modular Connectors (not Plugs) And Stranded Wire?

I only stock solid in bulk, solid for the backbone, stranded for patch cords....honestly I have never seen someone wire their backbone in stranded; stranded is hard to find locally.

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Security Alarm Installer (Low Voltage)
Rewards Points: 958

If the "INSTALLERS" are installing stranded cable for backbone then it should be up to them to do the final terminations and testing so that when it fails it will be their responsibility to do the job right. Maybe they will learn something.

Les

Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Synacom

Trade: Information Transport Systems Installer
Rewards Points: 89

There are RJ45 (8P8C) connectors made for both solid and stranded wire although most people assume the connector is 'generic' and will work on either.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 101

In these challenging economic times, it appears that more and more installers are using stranded wire even for their backbone voice wiring.

That's crap. If an "installer" is using stranded UTP cable it's because he doesn't know what he is doing. Period.

Stranded cable is for patch cords. You use solid conductor cable for premises wiring. Purchase from reputable suppliers and you won't even see stranded cable. Purchase cheap Chinese junk cable off the internet and Ebay and that's what you are going to get. It most likely doesn't meet CAT standards and isn't UL listed per the NEC. This is what you would be supporting.

Absolutely the LAST thing your company needs to do is support this practice. The rest of the industry only provides IDC terminations for solid conductors because that is the standard. The few times I have come across stranded CAT5 it was removed at the customer's expense.

I don't give a rat's patoot about tough economic times. Do it right or don't do it at all.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 11-14-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synacom View Post
There are RJ45 (8P8C) connectors made for both solid and stranded wire although most people assume the connector is 'generic' and will work on either.
Just to make what you said clearer- there are plugs for cable with solid conductors and plugs for cable with stranded conductors. Use a plug for solid wire in stranded (or vice versa) and it will fail. So you need to make sure the plugs you are using are correct for the wire type. The strain relief should also be of the correct type for the shape and diameter of the cable jacket. This goes for any plug- 8P8C or 6P, 2,4,6C telephone.

That said I have heard talk of so called "universal" plugs but I have never seen and used one to confirm that they exist or work.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 11-14-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Fire Alarms, CCTV, Card Access, etc
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbiss View Post

That's crap. If an "installer" is using stranded UTP cable it's because he doesn't know what he is doing. Period.

Stranded cable is for patch cords. You use solid conductor cable for premises wiring. Purchase from reputable suppliers and you won't even see stranded cable. Purchase cheap Chinese junk cable off the internet and Ebay and that's what you are going to get. It most likely doesn't meet CAT standards and isn't UL listed per the NEC. This is what you would be supporting.

Absolutely the LAST thing your company needs to do is support this practice. The rest of the industry only provides IDC terminations for solid conductors because that is the standard. The few times I have come across stranded CAT5 it was removed at the customer's expense.

I don't give a rat's patoot about tough economic times. Do it right or don't do it at all.

-Hal
This.

I don't understand how any economic condition would warrant using stranded cable over solid.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

I, like CMK, am wondering. I've never seen stranded cat 5, I didn't know it existed. For those of you who have seen it, is it really cheaper?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Synacom

Trade: Information Transport Systems Installer
Rewards Points: 89

Stranded Cat5 cable is usually used for patch cables. The reason for stranded is because it can flex repeatedly without breaking. Stranded is more expensive because of the process that uses multiple smaller gauge wires and adds the twist operation. With patch cables being as cheap as they are, I don't know of anyone making them.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,712

Hal is right on the money as far as the economic hardship BS.

Quote:
Just to make what you said clearer- there are plugs for cable with solid conductors and plugs for cable with stranded conductors. Use a plug for solid wire in stranded (or vice versa) and it will fail. So you need to make sure the plugs you are using are correct for the wire type. The strain relief should also be of the correct type for the shape and diameter of the cable jacket. This goes for any plug- 8P8C or 6P, 2,4,6C telephone.
Hal, I've never seen an 8P8C universal male plug but we do have universal female recepticals.

Quote:
I, like CMK, am wondering. I've never seen stranded cat 5, I didn't know it existed. For those of you who have seen it, is it really cheaper?
No its a little more, but its hard to find in stock anywhere....the only time someone would use it is if they ordered it by accident and wanted to get rid of it. I only buy stranded in pre-terminated cables.

The one time I used a box of stranded was with the B&W Casa system...it specified STP Stranded Cat5...I still have boxes of that crap hanging around.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

Trade: LV
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synacom
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Produc...de=CR6SD%2D100

Sent from my M80 using a lighter.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #12

Trade: Electrical - Data Network
Rewards Points: 10

I have to patch stranded wire Cat 5e cables into patch panels (bad past work ... ) . What's the simplest solution ? Does exist any stranded wire to solid adaptors ? Thanks for help.

Advertisement