Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

wood supplier looking for a an overseas resort partner project developer

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cleveman 
#1 ·
Hello, my name is Harry and I work for a hardwood mill located in Bolivia. We produce high quality ipe decking, massaranduba decking and tigerwood decking. We are looking for a project development in the Caribbean with the following proposition:

If this project is a resort project a vast amount of the budget will go into wood, such as windows, indoor flooring, outdoor decking, doors, door posts, roofing and even beds and carpentry. We will deliver all the wood as a participation in the project and so we are willing to be a parent not a wood supplier. So there could be 3 parties: the owner or the project developer buys the soil, hires the builder/ contractor and we participate in supplying the wood.

We do this because the supply of wood gets each and every year more and more difficult so instead of large volumes we believe it is better to shift our efforts into construction, needing less qualities of wood.
We are thinking of a project of around 20 chalets, with a nice dock, decking, whatever, I am sure there are good ideas around but nowadays with financing credit issues. Cutting out the wood expenses will definitely help.

#2 ·
I always thought it was smarter to take your product and turn it into something better.

For example, if you have grapes, you turn them into wine.

If you have wine, you turn it into brandy.

If you have soya, you turn it into pigs.

If you have pigs, you turn them into pork.

If you have pork, you process it into proscuito, salami, bacon.

Maybe you start out selling the rights for people to cut timber. Then you start cutting the timber and selling the logs. Next you cut the logs up into lumber. Then you cut the lumber up into flooring, staircase parts, doors, etc.

Another approach would be to put your lumber in a retail store in Chicago or Frankfurt or Sydney or Tokyo.

It is amazing nowadays to see a 1x6x12" walnut or cherry or red or white oak or other species, shrink wrapped, with some labels on it, for sale in a home center for $36.

Look at all the trim options out there.

I can buy a pig here for probably 50 cents per pound. Pork chops are $1.69. Ham is $3. We do make some proscuito, but I have no idea what it costs, maybe $12?

Get your government behind you. There are jobs and a lot of investment money in taking the rear legs of pigs and turning them into gold. Once workers become skilled in taking your lumber and turning it into staircase spindles, they will create spin off businesses. Once they get experience in selling the products in Tokyo, they will find other things those people need. When your employees get good at export documentation, they will be in demand to help other firms. Once you start servicing every lumberyard in Europe, you may be able to connect with another firm on the other side of your town which is producing screws or nails or rolling shutters or porcelain tile.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.