Need To Hire Full Time Repair Man/woman In Phoenix Arizona, Now!!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Trade: Repair
Rewards Points: 75
Exclamation

Need To Hire Full Time Repair Man/woman In Phoenix Arizona, Now!!

I own a licensed/insured full service repair company in Phoenix Arizona and I need an experienced FULL TIME, man or woman to hire right now.

Repairs we perform:
Electrical, plumbing, drywall, welding, roof, small/odd jobs and more.

Pay:
10.00 per hour starting for 1-6 month probationary period D.O.E. After that, you will be offered a percentage contract, and 15.00 per hour and up can easily be considered average *after* the probationary period.

Qualifications:
EXPERIENCE. CLEAN CUT. PEOPLE SKILLS. SPEED. We want people that MOVE with a purpose, and dress for success. Not someone that plods along staring at the ground with his pants falling off of his a$$.
The ability to smile at a customer and communicate effectively. You must pass a background check which we WILL perform prior to hiring you, and it must be clean. You must be DRUG FREE. Personal references, photos of work can help. Must have reliable transportation, a truck is preferable.

Thanks for reading, and thanks CT for providing this forum. Hopefully I can find someone of value here.

Contact information:
TheRepairGuysLLC@Gmail.com

Last edited by Phoenix8; 05-15-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Need To Hire Full Time Repair Man/woman In Phoenix Arizona, Now!!

$10.00 per hour? Really? Phoenix?

You may do better on craigslist....really.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
Jaws (05-22-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,812

I pay an unskilled laborer better than $10/hr....

Really a skilled worker?
Jaws (05-22-2012)

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,868

Do you supply a truck, gas, and monthly rent payments as part of the compensation?

What health insurance do you offer?

Is there a co pay on the insurance?

What is the waiting period before you receive health coverage?

Do you offer fourteen paid holidays and two weeks paid vacation a year?

If not, how many paid holidays do you give?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Let the spanking begin.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #6

I guess you fellas come from a land where "15.00 and up per hour" (which is what my listing reads) is poor pay-can you tell me where that is so I can move there?

I just added a "10.00 per hour for a 1-6 month probationary period D.O.E." This means that if someone has trade skills, has people skills, and it shows, well then after a 30 day period they can be instantly promoted to the contract I offer. Is that unreasonable? Last week for example, in one day alone under the contract I would offer an employee, they would've been paid 450.00 for 5 hours worth of work, which equates to 90.00 per hour. That isn't common however, and I don't want to misrepresent myself.

I believe in under promising and over delivering. I also believe I know what I'm doing, because I've never put a dollar into advertising, and I've grown a 100% repeat/referral based business from nothing to what I have today, and our customers absolutely love us.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a smaller company. Apparently you all run large companies by day, you believe in paying your men and women 20.00+ per hour starting pay without even seeing what they can do in the field, and at night you sit on a computer and bag on other business owner's wage offerings. I'm not here to have my hourly pay rates analyzed by you-so if you're not a Phoenix resident looking for a well paying job, please have the courtesy to not respond to this job ad. I am here on CT because I am searching for a quality employee, I am not looking for a firestorm of drama from men that seemingly have nothing better to do with their time. I thought this site was for professional men and women to help each other out? Thanks in advance for your professionalism.

Last edited by Phoenix8; 05-16-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
The Grand Wazoo

You didn't answer any of my questions regarding this position.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix8 View Post
...This means that if someone is highly skilled, has people skills, and it shows, well then after a 30 day period they can be instantly promoted to the contract I offer.
Thanks for the feedback.
"Contract" you offer?

Care to elaborate?

Sounds like a scam to get around overhead burden
Jaws (05-22-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Think I will stay in my po dunk town of Globe and make more money!

Sorry to jump on the band wagon but I don't see how a person with all those qualifications would want to work for $10 an hour. That is a good wage for someone fresh out of high school no experience, clean cut, and well dressed.

On the other side though, Arizona sucks as far as wages go. Personally I make more than I ever thought I would make in this industry, in AZ. When I shut my business down years ago, I figured I would have to go back to crap wages because of where I reside. I got lucky. And I still don't make as much as you guys talk about paying your guys. Unless you are the boss or happen to get lucky, Arizona will not make you rich as an employee in construction.

That is my experience anyway.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #10

I thought this was a moderated board for professionals. It appears I may have made an error. I am still fairly new here, and for what it's worth (apparently not much to any of you) you all are casting this board in a very poor light to a newer member like myself. Its sad because CT has so much to offer, yet it is full of disrespectful, ignorant people firing off incendiary comments like "ToiletSpider", who I'm sure is a fountain of both personal and business success tips (and unsolicited advice).

In the 80's, we called "men" like you all "telephone tough guys". It will never cease to amaze me the disrespectful things people will say on on a keyboard that they would never just walk right up to a stranger's face and say.

I should offer thanks I suppose, for you reminding me why I invest my time making money in the field, and not sitting around wasting my life in pointless internet forum arguments. Such a shame people like you can't edit yourselves, CT has so much to offer and so many good guys-

Last edited by Phoenix8; 05-16-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #11

Griz, are you new to the business? A "contract" is rather common in this industry. Companies like Home Depot will sub-contract a plumbing company for example, and pay them a fixed-rate such as 30% of the total invoice's profits- or a fixed amount such as 30.00 per toilet install..except it is common for them to offer this to business owners like myself who carry all of the overhead...

I do a similar thing. The difference is, when my I sell a repair job, such as the job I mentioned above that I did last week, I take 30% of the total profit I make and give it to the employee that performed the repair, and my employee has zero overhead/expenses. Similar to flat rate for a mechanic, but mechanics have to pay for and use all of their own tools, my guys and girls pay for nothing, and use all of mine.

We also use my license, insurance, truck, my trailer, my fuel, my tools, and I pay for all of the parts for the job as well. The employee pays for nothing and uses nothing of their own.

In the example I mentioned above from last week, I made 1500 on the repair, I got the job, we used my everything, and I paid for everything- my employee, a female, showed up, worked for 5 hours fixing a fence, and walked with 30% of my profit, and she spent nothing, carried no risk, had none of the paperwork, she didn't even land the job, and I bought coffee that morning, and lunch after the job. But I guess all of you treat your employees better than that, and that is a "scam". Funny though-she didn't feel scammed- she wasn't even mad, she actually kept thanking me and actually gave me a hug, and gave me a thank you card the next day. I put it in my pile. (You do, of course, also have a pile of thank you cards from 2012 from your clients and employees right?)

I am done answering your incendiary, ridiculing, offensive questions and comments. I am looking for an employee, not drama. Who moderates this forum? Might be time to sweep up a bit in my opinion.

Last edited by Phoenix8; 05-16-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
The Grand Wazoo

You still haven't answered any of my questions.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 8,046

Quote:

Repairs we perform:
Electrical, plumbing, drywall, welding, roof, small/odd jobs and more.
I do all this and more
Quote:
Pay:
10.00 per hour starting for 1-6 month probationary period D.O.E. After that, you will be offered a percentage contract, and [B]15.00 per hour and up can easily be considered average *after* the probationary period.
My teenage son makes more than that
Quote:
Qualifications:
EXPERIENCE. CLEAN CUT. PEOPLE SKILLS. SPEED. We want people that MOVE with a purpose, and dress for success. Not someone that plods along staring at the ground with his pants falling off of his a$$.
The ability to smile at a customer and communicate effectively. You must pass a background check which we WILL perform prior to hiring you, and it must be clean. You must be DRUG FREE. Personal references, photos of work can help. Must have reliable transportation, a truck is preferable.
And don't forget to smile to get that 10 bucks and hour,,,,and my bike is reliable
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

I have to disagree with some of what has been said. If the OP can get people to work for what he is offering then good for him. When I need help I pay more than 10/hr for it. However, if I need anyone I would also tell them 10/hr to start. Probably just for one day until I know what they can do. I get tired of having guys show up, you tell them 15/hr, they have no clue yet I'm stuck paying 120.00 for an idiot. I think there are alot of guys that just go around job to job and do that. They get a days pay then get fired and move on to the next days work at twice the rate they are worth.

I could be wrong but I would guess the wages in Arizona are much less than some states with less illegals competeing for jobs. Similar to the pricing questions here I think what contractors on CT are willing to pay has no bearing on the OP and what he is willing to pay. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

And be nice. It really isn't that hard.
Phoenix8 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,858

Just for the record, no comment.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #16

Oh Look-someone is actually dead on in every way about why I am offering someone 10 to start for a small probationary period, and then 15+ per hour after they prove themselves, and it sounds like they have a similar approach to their own business.

He also is tuned in to current events in Arizona and is aware of all of the dirt cheap illegal labor here.

Shockingly enough, this man actually not only speaks intelligently, respectfully, and professionally, but he also actually has a professional name, and logo as an avatar.

Thank you Summit, seriously-

There are plenty of good men in this industry. There are also, unfortunately, plenty of men I wouldn't want representing myself or my business- I know because I've made the mistake of hiring them before and paying them well, and I'll not do it again.

Last edited by angus242; 05-16-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,310

This thread explains this post:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f45/mo...1/#post1498050
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

:popcorn:
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 8,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by svronthmve View Post
:popcorn:
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I made 10 per hour when I was loading feed into the back of trucks as a teenager, maybe 12. What's minimum wage? Has to be more than 10.

Advertisement