Under Deck Roof

Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama
Rewards Points: 500

Under Deck Roof

Hey guys i got a call this morn from a guy who wants his new elevated deck to be sealed underneath (ceiling only no walls) to be used for parking golf carts, atvs and such. Ive never done one and dont think i have ever seen one around hear. I know ive read a thread about it here but cant find it. To those who have done it what method or brand system you use?
This is a hunting cabin so while it has to work look decent and last it does not have to be top notch high end million dollar home stuff.
One thougt i had was use taperd and treated strips then put up vinyle sofit material. Trim with alluminum or treated wood and use gutter on the low end.
Could use metal too.
What you think? Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 2,504

Re: Under Deck Roof

Best Way>>> plywood over the joists,torchdown roof over the plywood with all needed flashing, .40 acq stringers laying in the direction of the flow Not screwed into the roof<<< screw the decking to the stringers Not thru the roof<<

A way that will work>>> regular metal roofing installed under the deck on tapered rips fastened to the bottom of the joists<< Al the DeckMan is a Master at this. J.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcj View Post
Hey guys i got a call this morn from a guy who wants his new elevated deck to be sealed underneath (ceiling only no walls) to be used for parking golf carts, atvs and such. Ive never done one and dont think i have ever seen one around hear. I know ive read a thread about it here but cant find it. To those who have done it what method or brand system you use?
This is a hunting cabin so while it has to work look decent and last it does not have to be top notch high end million dollar home stuff.
One thougt i had was use taperd and treated strips then put up vinyle sofit material. Trim with alluminum or treated wood and use gutter on the low end.
Could use metal too.
What you think? Thanks.
There is a thread about this somewhere on this site

Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hyatt View Post
Best Way>>> plywood over the joists,torchdown roof over the plywood with all needed flashing, .40 acq stringers laying in the direction of the flow Not screwed into the roof<<< screw the decking to the stringers Not thru the roof<<

A way that will work>>> regular metal roofing installed under the deck on tapered rips fastened to the bottom of the joists<< Al the DeckMan is a Master at this. J.
deck was just built last week so tearing it down and doing a tourch down is not an option. Besides i cant do that anyway.

Metal on the underside is what im leaning toward so any help or experience with this i will appreciate.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
There is a thread about this somewhere on this site
yea i know i remember reading it but i cant find it.
I think it was about the expensive hi tech stuff though.
I may end up doing that anyway just need to present the expensive and cheap options to the owner sense i dont think he really cares about first class looks on this.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Under deck,under ceiling,under deck cover

I'm sure that this product has been mentioned here before...why not one more time. http://www.underdeck.com/

Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

There's this thread, which covers TimberTech's DrySpace in some detail...

http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=33626

Mac
Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
There's this thread, which covers TimberTech's DrySpace in some detail...

http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=33626

Mac
That looks nice. Havent checked yet but i bet it will have to be special ordered here. Im going out tomorrow to look at the deck. If there's no post or beams in the middle i'll probably just build and upside down metal roof with corragated 26g metal.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,998

The metal roofing under decks works well for storage area like your customer wants not high end homes that want a covered patio.

I used a new product earlier this summer on a deck. It was a rubber membrane that went under the decking between the joist, too late for that now tho. It seemed to work well, but time will tell.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

I have used underdeck once with good results. Fairly easy to install also. I got mine from Menard's.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #11

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 10

I have considered DrySnap but have not a need to use it yet.

Google DrySnap...............
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGCLLC View Post
I have considered DrySnap but have not a need to use it yet.

Google DrySnap...............
If you search on this forum for "drysnap", you'll find folks are less than pleased with that product...

Mac
Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Pro

That does look like a snap.
I was over there today working on two other houses on the property and took a look at the deck on my way out. It is about 750sqft in an L shape and 2 differnt levels. The guy was not there so i still dont know exactly what part if all he wants done. O and most of it is about 12' high on level ground though.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #14

Trade: electricial

At the jersey shore they install fiberglass decks. its a coating gray in color over the under layment. Its a nice looking job. They do it on long beach island nj.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Pro

I just found my pics on this project done last year.Thought it came out nice for my first attemt at it. In the first pic you can see the spacers i made out of pvc and used 3 different length screws to get my pitch.
under deck roof-img_0934-small-.jpg

under deck roof-img_0939-small-.jpg

under deck roof-img_0940-small-.jpg

Last edited by dlcj; 05-06-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Roofing on the bottom looks like it would work and looks pretty decent. Steel roofing prices are down now.

Couple of questions though....where are you dumping the water, right out the end?

Why no notching in of the rim joist and why not just set the header on top of the 6x6s instead of bolting it on to the side of them? Also how are those stairs attached to the deck?

How did you hang and protect the lighting that's in the ceiling?
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .

Last edited by PA woodbutcher; 05-07-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: add lighting question
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
Pro

I thought I would get questions about that deck framing. You should have seen it before the metal. No I did not build the deck and i dont like i either. I would have notched the 6x6s, tripled the rims perpendicular to the joist and used hangers on the stair stringers. But whata yougona do?
As far as dumping the water, the roof is pitched to the middle about 2". See the gutter? If you look close you can see the receptor for a down spout on each end I havent yet done when i took pic.
I did hang the lights and they are screwed dirctly to the 26ga metal with a water tight grommet for the wire and a generous helping of silicone for added sealing. Also drilled a weap hole in the light housing just in case.They are exterior deck lights btw. The wire is direct burial 12ga.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Decks & Fences

In regards to lighting in the underdeck system could you use low voltage landscape deck lighting. It seems like it might work?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 2,504

hold on to your Lug Nuts its time for a OverHaul..

Gutta live The Mask. J.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #20

Trade: contractor

We have used them all and the best product by far out there is inside out underdeck by QE. I do not have enough post to show pics, but do a search for inside out underdecking and you will be able to find it.