Under Deck Drainage Systems

Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 35

Under Deck Drainage Systems

i have a customer looking for an under the deck drainage system. i have installed the one from lowes..ugh! cheap looking. this customer house is 3/4 million dollars....can't use the one from lowes. anyone know of a quality system that is not crazy hard to install?

thxs
scott in georgia

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 2,320

Re: Under Deck Drainage Systems

Timbertech has a nice one we have used.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #3

Trade: Decks and Backyard Construction
Rewards Points: 25

Few options:

TimberTech Dryspace.

Trex Rain Escapes.

Drysnap under deck waterproofing.

Wahoo decks systems.

Epdm membrane and a talented installer.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuildingDecks For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-30-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Renovation, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 125

Those products look great. If you were on a stricter budget, strapping + closed soffit will work.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Outdoor Construction
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Drysnap under deck waterproofing.
Stay away from Drysnap. I have used it in the past w. great results. But I did one last year and it was a mess. Had to go back several times. They must have changed where/how it is made.

I'm doing a large deck w. EPDM right now. It's a bit tricky the first time. But it was bone dry underneath during two torrential downpours in the last week.

I'm going to put beaded soffit under the joists when done. I wanted to do Azek beadboard, but we were already 10K over what the HO wanted to spend.
Tom Struble (10-02-2011)
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #6

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Although the product looks great, unless you have a simple deck that comes straight off of one wall, you will be scratching your head. Don't even bother trying to contact the company, I sent them 3 emails and 2 phone calls with no response. I had an extreme scenario of three walls and four stone columns. I made it work after 4 extra days and $600 in extra materials. This was on a multi-million dollar house in one of the richest towns in America and I will never use this product again. Find a company with better customer service in case you have any questions. DRYSNAP and AMERIMAX SUCK!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck/Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Ive used drysnap. Seemed like an ok product but you most likely will have to change the way you frame to accommodate it better. Just got done a Gorilla Deck, works pretty good. Not thrilled with it but cheaper alernative to the under deck systems. The decking locks together and has channels underneath that drain out
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #8

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

I did just finish up installing an Underdeck sytem on a fairly straightforward 16" on center deck, 12' x 30'. I installed continuous gutter at both the house and the header end to ensure adequate and attractive drainage. The customer also wanted perimeter screening which made things interesting...especially at the header end where we needed to seal off the half ovals above the header in every joist pocket.
One thing in this product's favor: it is after deck installation compatible; meaning you can come in and install this product under an existing deck.
I think that this may be the product offered in Lowes...so hopefully there is a more elegant product for you out there. This was under a summer cottage deck in Maine...hardly 3/4 $million...but at least it works.
Attached Thumbnails
under deck drainage systems-img_0351.jpg  
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

Trade: Stone, Masonry, Concrete

I'm definitely not a talented installer but this project went pretty smooth and has been a great solution for a deck with a large concrete patio below it.

There are other threads on here from more experienced people and professionals that may be helpful if you go this route.

This is a lake front home we're renovating right now. That whole front wall was rebuilt from the framing on up due to an inexperienced builder trying to use site-built windows 10 years ago.

Total costs for all of the parts and materials to do the waterproofing ran about $1/sq foot. That includes the flashing, Vycor, EPDM.

I used a 10' wide of EPDM and installed it in full pieces for the majority of it. Covered 5 joist bays at a time. Not sure I would do it that way again as there was more waste than cutting individual pieces and it was probably break-even on time.

It will be entirely hidden once the decking is complete and the lower ceiling is installed. Has room for lights, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
under deck drainage systems-epdm_deck1.jpg   under deck drainage systems-epdm_deck2.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stillwater For This Useful Post:
Munanbak (04-01-2013), Tom Struble (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

Trade: Decks

Take a look at ZipUp Ceilings. Nicest looking underdeck treatment we have worked with and very fast. 2 colours & 3 finishes to choose from.