TimberTech XLM DB Turning White

Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Trade: Decks
Rewards Points: 10

TimberTech XLM DB Turning White

Approximately 6 month old deck, a couple planks have developed a white discoloration, initially along the edges, but spreading over time...also followed by dark spots. Similar problems reported on additional forums on the web.

My hunch is this is isolated to a few bad boards, but I would be cautious. I did notice an initial white discoloration along the edge on this plank when I installed the plank, but thought the plank was just dirty from the lumberyard. Bad idea.

I plan to monitor the deck as 1 other plank has started to show white discoloration along the edge before a warranty call. Used hidden fasteners, so swapping planks will be a pain. To put it mildly, I am pretty unimpressed with this product right now.
Attached Thumbnails
TimberTech XLM DB turning white-photo.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to foosman For This Useful Post:
deckandpatio (11-15-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 550

Re: TimberTech XLM DB Turning White

Great. Just finished one using the same product.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,006

Im Not a timber tech fan either, alot of people swear there the best but ive seen it mold and fade just like everything else!

When timber tech first came out they were worse then trex! alot of people forget that!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

I would check the lawn sprinkler. Watch to see if the mist is being magnified by the sun?
I add this timber tech statement every proposal & contract
TimberTech does not recommend the use of vinyl or rubber products on any XLM deck planks. Items such as rubber-backed welcome mats, vinyl plastic swimming pools, garden hoses, planters, etc. may have a reaction that commonly occurs with PVC decking, creating a discoloration on the deck. Please refrain from leaving items with a rubber or vinyl composition stationary on XLM decking.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Star View Post
Im Not a timber tech fan either, alot of people swear there the best but ive seen it mold and fade just like everything else!

When timber tech first came out they were worse then trex! alot of people forget that!
Uh...XLM does not mold....it's PVC. In fact TimberTech XLM and Azek are made with THE EXACT SAME granulated raw PVC.

To the OP, call TimberTech and let them know about the issue.

The difference between TT and other manufacturers is that they are very willing to eliminate any issues that may arise via warranty. No fighting. No arguing. No suing.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

could be first generation of the Desert Bronze...I've got a first generation Mountain Cedar deck I built in '08 that is getting replaced this summer because of the same white discoloration issue. It was worse under the outdoor rug they placed in the center of the deck, but that wasn't the cause.

Like Greg said, TimberTech stands behind their product. There was no fight at all about this warranty issue, just a request for the replacement materials list (and there will be labor compensation as well).

Mac
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
The Deck Guy

Likewise I have an '08 Mountain Cedar deck that was part of a now known bad batch that was made by no fault of Timbertech. Complete replacement with one email.

Just like Tre....
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

Deck is now 9 months old, see pictures. TT is offering to "assist with labor costs" and not pay the full labor amount. Any advice on getting them to budge?
Attached Thumbnails
TimberTech XLM DB turning white-deck-right-2-small.jpg   TimberTech XLM DB turning white-deck-steps-small.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to foosman For This Useful Post:
deckandpatio (11-15-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosman View Post
Deck is now 9 months old, see pictures. TT is offering to "assist with labor costs" and not pay the full labor amount. Any advice on getting them to budge?
Sounds like they're willing to assist w/ labor costs - who chose the figure you're using for "Full Labor Amount?" You, your contractor or TT?

And how many of the boards are they replacing?

Mac
Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Fine Deckbuilder

Trade: Deck business
Rewards Points: 250

I just replaced one similar to yours. The decking was black and in some areas white. All boards where affected ( two years old ). Homeowner did send in my proposal for the labor replacement. They accepted it and did send the check to the homeowner. After the deck was replaced she handed over the TT check. Material did go through my supplier. No questions, no fuzz.
Timbertech did the right thing. I would recommend to send your proposal to your client and have her forward it to TT for approval. Replacing only the bad boards is a bad idea. The ones that are still good will need some more time to show up black and/or white as well.

Clemens

www.finedecks.com
Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
The Deck Guy

Like Clemens said, we just replaced the deck I mentioned earlier yesterday. Got a check from TT. Very easy process.

With any man made product, problems can arise. It's how the problems are addressed that makes or breaks a manufacturer.

If anyone should worry, it's me. We have probably done 30+ Desert Bronze decks since it came out mid last year.

I'm not worried. TimberTech always does the right thing from my experience.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
Likewise I have an '08 Mountain Cedar deck that was part of a now known bad batch that was made by no fault of Timbertech.
How does a bad batch get made by timbertech yet it was not their fault. Are they subbing out the manufacturing process now?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
The Deck Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
How does a bad batch get made by timbertech yet it was not their fault. Are they subbing out the manufacturing process now?
I don't know about you, but if I order exterior paint in a certain color and what's shipped to me is interior paint of the same color, I wouldn't know the difference. I'd paint a whole house thinking I had the right paint.

A supplier to TimberTech mislabeled a shipment of raw material. It is indecipherable except on a molecular level.

That's how.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #14

Full deck will be replaced, almost all the boards are bad.

"Full labor amount", I define as a reasonable bid for labor (removal + install) from a contractor. As others have mentioned, warranty is handled thru TT and homeowner, material goes thru supplier and labor assistance to the homeowner. Unfortunately the regional sales rep for TT has recently changed or this issue would already have been resolved. Should have a response from TT on labor soon.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #15

Trade: DECK BUILDER
Rewards Points: 75

I just wanted to thank you guys for posting these pictures. As a deck builder, this is great information.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Trade: Decks and Fences

Trade: decks and fences
Rewards Points: 83

yep guys- appreciate the pictures as well. Just out of curiosity, what kind of labor costs were they willing to shell out?

If I were the builder I'd have to stand by my work- no matter if it was the product or the installation (in this case clearly the product is at fault). So now I feel obligated to work for peanuts just to keep a good name?

Just doesn't make sense to me- for now I'm staying away from composite altogether.... woods been around for a while and we know how to take care of it's weathering.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
The Deck Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by decksandfences View Post

If I were the builder I'd have to stand by my work- no matter if it was the product or the installation (in this case clearly the product is at fault).
Think about that logic. It makes no sense in the literal sense.

How do you warranty a wood deck in reality? You can't.

I think most customers would rather take a real warranty from multi-million dollar manufacturer's product than whatever nominal warranty you, the small builder, offers. What I mean by this is that your warranty is most likely literally worthless because your company could not (I am assuming here) take the hit to replace every deck you built last year. Do you have capital in reserve to handle a massive warranty issue? The manufacturers do.

I could offer a client a $30k cedar deck with NO warranty or a $30k synthetic deck with a legitimate warranty from a reputable manufacturer that is guaranteeing the product for 25 years against fading. Does that logic make sense?

You take a cedar or ipe board and put it next to a high quality synthetic deck board and come back in 25 years after leaving them both untouched and see the logic I'm throwing out here.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 2,504

Its a deal with composite Ryan. Nice work.

With wood you deal with the same problems all the time,with composite its different imperfect things all the time over and over its always different and always the same. We had a bad batch,someone tossed in a little too much of this or that, the machine broke down. Latley its going to be the plastic coating dident stick to the composite board and its indecipherable

There is a lot of money,I mean a Lot of $ being made selling manmade decking/ railing. And a lot of support for manmade over here no matter what goes wrong either in the past or the future. Not a bad thing if your hooked into it the money comes in that way as well. Im good with that.

I have several TT jobs out doing not bad no major complaints, I have seen first hand how TT handles real problems and it is first rate. Also my Moisture Shield decks are doing most outstanding for the most part its because I put a coat of TWP finish on them before I left.

Jon Mon www.deckmastersllc.com

Last edited by John Hyatt; 11-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #19
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,894

So other than the discoloring, is anything else wrong with the decking? You could stockpile the bad pieces and offer someone a good deal on decking.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
Think about that logic. It makes no sense in the literal sense.

How do you warranty a wood deck in reality? You can't.

I think most customers would rather take a real warranty from multi-million dollar manufacturer's product than whatever nominal warranty you, the small builder, offers. What I mean by this is that your warranty is most likely literally worthless because your company could not (I am assuming here) take the hit to replace every deck you built last year. Do you have capital in reserve to handle a massive warranty issue? The manufacturers do.

I could offer a client a $30k cedar deck with NO warranty or a $30k synthetic deck with a legitimate warranty from a reputable manufacturer that is guaranteeing the product for 25 years against fading. Does that logic make sense?

You take a cedar or ipe board and put it next to a high quality synthetic deck board and come back in 25 years after leaving them both untouched and see the logic I'm throwing out here.
Greg, I see your point. The problem is in the clients expectations. With wood, most problems are well documented and people understand what they are getting. The manufacturers of manmade decking have probably overstated their pluses while ignoring their minuses. It may not be as bad now, as it used to be. The point being that the clients are paying more for the madmade material with the thinking that there will be no problems with it. Now we have the example above. If I recommended that product, you don't think that the client is going to look at me a little more negatively.

In 30+ years of building decks, I have never had to replace a wood deck because of problems with the wood. In the last 5 years, I have had to replace 2 composite decks (decking only).

How do you know what your manmade deck is going to look like in 25 years? Can you show me a example? How many manmade products are made exactly as they were 10 years ago? Probably few, if any. Why did they change? Hopefully to make a better product, but also, I imagine, that they discovered defects (however small) in their past products or there would be no reason to discontinue them.

Just playing the devils advocate here.