Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Steps to 8" joist

12K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Winchester 
#1 ·
Sorry in advance, but the search wasn't working for me this morning. Looking for advice on how to attach steps to an 8" joist. And I'm going to try and ask this question without pictures, so bear with me. Its only 2 steps, but the deck is just far enough away from the patio, that a box step won't work. I'd rather not add a 3rd step at the top, and extend further onto the patio. Its also a fairly lengthy run (14'), so I need to use notched stringers. So conventional framing shows I only have about 1.75" of stringer hitting the lower part of my 2x8. I could hang a 2x6 below my 2x8, but again, its a long run, and then you have straps, etc, and not sure if that's structural enough for the beating steps take. I could also "inset" a "3rd step" between the rim joist and the next one over with blocking, etc, but then I've got an 8.25" rise on my first step that needs to be accounted for, and frankly, that's alot more difficult proposition for all the stringers I'm going to need for this long run. (its composite decking, so i'm only going to span 12") It would be so much easier if I could do the 3rd step at deck height thing, and just nail the whole thing flush to the joist. Again, I don't want the 3rd step. SO, long story to ask this question. Picture the notched stringer with the 3rd step. 6.5" rise, and 10.5" run. What if I cut off 9" and left a 6.5" rise, with a 1.5" run. Then attached 2xwhatever between the stringers, giving me all that meat to attach the steps system to the 8" joist, and then simply ran my deck boards 1.5" long to cover the 3rd "step?" 1.5" of extra run onto the patio I can handle...... Thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Quick thought, probably not well thought out.

Could you integrate the railing posts, running them down through the depth of the joists and extend them farther. Stretch a rim between the two and that could give you full coverage on the attachment.

If that's not a clear explanation (I'm pinched for time):
Posts would be tied in at the joists and rim, extend below the joist, and a 2x8 would span them. Attach stringer to 2x8/post assembly.

I haven't done this before, but I'd consider it...though I'd think about it some more first.

#8 ·
steps

i always put my railing post on the inside of the frame. So if you have a 4' wide set of stairs mount the railing post to the inside using 2 1/2 x 7 in bolts for each post. Mount another 2x8- 4' to the railing post under neath the bond and bolt; this will provide 14 1/2 to mount the stairs to. than use the back nailer on the steps as shown in the link provided in picture 7. Mark your rise and nail the 2 together. No fancy hardware and it always passes inspection. Link:http://www.thedeckbarn.com/howto-buildsteps.aspx
steve scholl

#10 ·
Wow, guys, awesome ideas, and thanks! Not that anyone probably cares if I end up using "their" idea, I'll still try and respond, perhaps with new questions, to each idea:

Robert: I hadn't thought of straps that way. I had envisioned the straps going BEHIND the outside joist, but hadn't considered putting it in front. i had always considered the potential "sag" that might accompany using straps, but this sounds like it might eliminate that. Now it would still be a matter of execution, if I could get each one lined up properly, and have everything level, and eliminate the sag and bounce.

OKM, Pros, Killer, and Win: I like the connect to and through post idea, but with a 14' run of only 2 steps, the 3rd being a "landing" I won't have any posts/railings at the steps. The railings I DO have, are metal, above the deck kind, screwed through the deck into blocking.

Joe and Red: Since my 2x8 sits on the beam, I can't replace it with a 2x12, but that doesn't mean I can't put it along side, making this last outside joist a double of 2x8, with a 2x12 alongside. So in essence, I'd just make the whole deck 1.5" wider, extending the deck boards, right?

On this last idea, of adding a 14' 2x12, to the 2x8, and then hanging the stringers off of that, is everyone ok, with the hanging off the hanging, off the hanging? Meaning that's a lot of nails between the stringers to the 2x12, then to the 2x8 before I finally get to something supported by a beam. (the 2x8.)

Guys, thanks again. I appreciate all the info!

#16 ·
Thanks again.

Kucklehead: Exactly! Even though most of it is me probably over analyzing it!

Joe/Will: That was actually one of my original ideas/questions. You stated it more clearly; I had called it "insetting a 3rd step" but that's what I had meant. My issue is with a 6.5" riser, under a 2x8. Is that what you meant by "notch?" An actual 1.5" wide by 3/4" deep notch in the stringer? I was concerned that might weaken the system, plus all that extra cutting. (15 of these again........!)

Win: Yeah, the boxes would certainly be the easiest, but just like in the pic above, (thanks Will) the patio is just far enough away from the deck, with lots of "stuff" (retaining wall edges, gravel, etc) that only the bottom step will hit patio......

I had started with the 3rd riser inside idea, but then got confused by the math, with the 8.25 total deck height and 6.5 rise..... I was thinking about adding a 1x to the step, and then the Trex, to make up the difference, but then thought it was really getting over complicated. But if I cut regular 6.5 x 10.5 steps, and then notch the stringer, and slide up under the 2x8 (if that's what you meant) that would make up the difference. But if I wanted to build the 2 steps conventionally, from the outside, adding the 2x12 on the outside of the 2x8, and doing all the work from the front sounds like it would work. Basically, you all have give me 2 solid plans to choose from (assuming I got the notch thing right). Awesome, thanks guys.

#17 ·
If you rim joist is larger then your rise you will have to notch the stringer. It's almost always this way as rim joists are rarely less then the stair rise. If you are concerned about the strength of the stringer you can upsize the material of the stringer or add a 2x sistered along the bottom of the stringer. Once you get the hang of cutting stringers like this, the math will be a lot of fun, and everything will be a lot easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.