Source For Black PVC/Vinyl Lattice?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Source For Black PVC/Vinyl Lattice?

I have a low to ground deck that we need to skirt somehow. I am not a fan of solid skirting to the ground because it kills airflow. Since this deck has a max 12" from the bottom of the fascia to the ground, I need an anti-critter solution.

The deck is TT Earthwoods Walnut with black Radiance Rail. I'm thinking black lattice might work best but I've never seen it.

Any other solutions I'm overlooking????

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Source For Black PVC/Vinyl Lattice?

Krylon plastic color spray paint.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

Possible Solution:

Hog floor or hog wire powdercoated black w/ Earthwoods Walnut facia ripped to 1x4" edge bands.

Check your nearest farm supply store for the hog wire,
see a powder coater in town to coat the hogwire black (or whatever color you want
...optional: get bids and referrals if you've got a few to choose from...

Rip fascia and install -
installing the bottom trim pieces on the hog wire panel before attaching panel to deck fascia means you can hide those lower fasteners...

Mac
Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,026

funny that you mention that, cause just earlier I was discussing with a client how sharp TT teak or rosewood would look with black rail and black skirting, so that makes 2 of us.
Mac, not quite sure im understanding this hogwire stuff, got any pix or links about this, something a tractor supply would have?
Greg I'm not too keen on solid plank skirting my self, (more asthetically than anything else) I'll have to dig up some pix, I did a low deck (about 2.5' total elevation) where I did alternate plank/2x2 spaced out by the width of the 2x2 and it looked real sharp had plenty or airflow and added some dimension to the skirting.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
Mac, not quite sure im understanding this hogwire stuff, got any pix or links about this, something a tractor supply would have?

Here's a link to some farm supply stores in PA, didn't know which towns you were close to... if they don't carry it, they'll probably know who does. (Just looked at a map of Pennsylvania...damn, you guys have a ton of roads and towns and people out there!)

With the wire, you can get it in different sized spacing (holes 4" big, holes 2" big, the tightly knit floor type, etc.)
Once you've got the wire panels, cut them into the sized strips you need for your deck skirting (for instance, 2' tall by 6' long). They come in a 4'x6' panel so you get two 6' sections per panel.
Take those cut strips to your powdercoater and he'll bake 'em up nice!

Mac
Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
The Deck Guy

Mac, that's a cool idea but there aren't too many hog-wire suppliers 20 minutes outside of NYC!

I think I am going to try the PVC lattice and Krylon method. It should work in theory. I looked at a can of the Krylon Plastic paint today.

I will cut everything first and then spray it to eliminate scratching. I'll probably use the dark green PVC lattice since if it does chip after time, it'll be less noticeable.

I will take pics and post.

BTW. TimberTech Earthwoods Tropical Walnut and Black Radiance Rail is probably THE sharpest combo I've ever installed. I am trying to convince everyone to go with it now.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenrty, remodeling , residential

i usually make a frame around the lattice , and then staple black landscaping mesh/felt to the inner part , when you look at it you dont see it just looks like shadow , and hides any dirt underneath , as far as critters ,theyll find there way regardless . composite i would just paint like you said , or use pressure treated and paint as well to match, they make paint for plastics that work well.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 2,502

I am thinking if a Person really wanted to dress up the skirt black alum balusters would look pretty cool or a Steel detail. I have been using these guys> www.kingmetals.com a lot latley for all kinds of detail. They have roses,grapes,vines,leaves and a great Lizard.

With the steel stuff I just hang it up in the shop and spray it with a high grade heavy bodied auto primer several times. The build up gets kinda gritty that makes the steel look great. I havent really seen any advantage of power coat over the way I do it other than after the equpt buy it easier for the mang to run it thru. John
Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
GARRETT RENOVATIONS LLC

Trade: GC,Builder,Custom Renovations

black radience rail looks real good. i always have to show someone pics. to get them out of the white railing frame of mind. Great idea Mac! that could be very cool on the right kind of deck.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
Mac, that's a cool idea but there aren't too many hog-wire suppliers 20 minutes outside of NYC!
Oops, hadn't thought about it being a location specific item - my bad!

I've had good success cutting plastic lattice with a plywood blade installed backwards in my saw... slow moves keep the edges from chipping...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
BTW. TimberTech Earthwoods Tropical Walnut and Black Radiance Rail is probably THE sharpest combo I've ever installed. I am trying to convince everyone to go with it now.
I agree - I put a black aluminum handrail on one of my TT Earthwoods decks and was very happy with the result.
TimberTech is planning on offering the Earthwoods look in their XLM boards, they just have to troubleshoot the process... I'll be real happy when that happens - good looking AND long lasting, nice combo! Hopefully by the end of the year...

Mac
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
The Deck Guy

I went with the forest green lattice from HD and spray painted it with Rustoleum plastic paint.

Great idea....

It worked out great.

Thanks for the idea. It also prompted me to make my own color-matched screw heads for fastening the the lattice to the fascia. Hmmm...$2 worth of brown spraypaint and generic SS screws I had laying around OR $40 Headkotes (of which I would've needed less than 20 screws)
Attached Thumbnails
Source for black PVC/Vinyl lattice?-lattice_corner.jpg   Source for black PVC/Vinyl lattice?-lattice_right.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Looks good

Thanks for writing the final
chapter.
Always nice to know the
end of the story....
'Seciallly when it's a
"happily everafter."
Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,316

I cant see because of the dark color, but how do you make your corners with the lattice? we sometimes make a frame, or I will heat the lattice with a plumbers torch and bend it 90 degrees.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
The Deck Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I cant see because of the dark color, but how do you make your corners with the lattice? we sometimes make a frame, or I will heat the lattice with a plumbers torch and bend it 90 degrees.
I use the PVC end cap channel that they sell. If you predrill it, you can run screws through it to make a cornerboard of sorts. Works great.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 2,502

That is very cool Greg!!! I like that black thing a lot. Might get a little tosti in the sun but the total look is nice. J.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #16
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

Looks good Greg, thanks for sharing!

~Matt