Slippery When Wet?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & welding
Rewards Points: 1,002
Send a message via AIM to Michaeljp86

Slippery When Wet?

Does composite decking get slippery when its wet? I was wondering how good it would be next to a pool. Ive never used the stuff before so Im not sure on it. I would think it would be more slick then wood. Im more worried about wet bare feet then shoes slipping.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #2

Trade: Decks
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Slippery When Wet?

You dont have to worry about composite being that slippery. The vinyl and plastic decking are typically slippery when wet.

The biggest problem with composite around a pool is the mosture you are going to have to clean the deck at least every year because mold will grow on the composite.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukkoor View Post
You dont have to worry about composite being that slippery. The vinyl and plastic decking are typically slippery when wet.

The biggest problem with composite around a pool is the mosture you are going to have to clean the deck at least every year because mold will grow on the composite.
I figured composite would be good on not letting mold grow.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,020

All-plastic decking is good for no mold growth - in no particular order:

TimberTech XLM
CorrectDeck CX
Azek (Procell)

Composite decking has wood flour in it - that's the part that the mold likes!

I just finished up an XLM deck- when I hosed it off, it seemed a little more "grippy" than a wet wood deck...I was in boots though, I didn't give it a barefoot test. Most composites with a wood grain embossed should be less slippery than wood.

Mac
Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
All-plastic decking is good for no mold growth - in no particular order:

TimberTech XLM
CorrectDeck CX
Azek (Procell)

Composite decking has wood flour in it - that's the part that the mold likes!

I just finished up an XLM deck- when I hosed it off, it seemed a little more "grippy" than a wet wood deck...I was in boots though, I didn't give it a barefoot test. Most composites with a wood grain embossed should be less slippery than wood.

Mac
The decking bLowes has and some others looks good and solid. There is a roofing supply near here and they sell it and its like porous, I could see mold growing like crazy on that. I would rather buy it from them but I dont like the looks of it.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Sharp Improvements

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

I think what you pay is what you are going to get. The more expensive ones will have better additives and higher quality mixes, which will make them more wold resistant. As others said, get ones with grain patterns for better grip.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
The decking bLowes has and some others looks good and solid. There is a roofing supply near here and they sell it and its like porous, I could see mold growing like crazy on that. I would rather buy it from them but I dont like the looks of it.
I'm not really understanding you here...you'd rather buy what from whom?
Porosity has less to do with what the mold likes than the actual composition of the deck board. If the deck board is wood or has wood (organic matter) in it, it will attract mold faster/easier than an all-plastic board.

Porosity comes into play with trapping dirt - the more porous the deck board surface is, the more dirt can get trapped in the pores.

Do you have specific brands that you're talking about?

Mac
Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
I'm not really understanding you here...you'd rather buy what from whom?
Porosity has less to do with what the mold likes than the actual composition of the deck board. If the deck board is wood or has wood (organic matter) in it, it will attract mold faster/easier than an all-plastic board.

Porosity comes into play with trapping dirt - the more porous the deck board surface is, the more dirt can get trapped in the pores.

Do you have specific brands that you're talking about?

Mac
Id look everywhere before I buy from blowes or HD. The roofing supply guys have been around since 1937 and have very good service and prices. But their decking looks cheap, it looks like compressed hair. They may have some other stuff I didnt see but I dont like the looks of it and I would want a customer to not like it either. I dont like the junk bLowes has either but I like the "solid" look of it.

I may have a few jobs in a month or 2 in wetter areas like around a pool and this composite would look very nice but I was worried about being slippey and now Im worried about mold.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #9

Have you tried going to a lumber yard in your area. They typically have the best brands of composite. I like Trex. There are several older posts on brands of composite.

Around a pool area to me its a toss up between wood and composite. with wood you will have to restain once every three years and with composite you will have to clean once or twice a year. It just depends what you like the look of better.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,601

Good quality composites are not cheap. I usually pay $3.07 LF for Correct deck CX, TT came in at $3.52 LF and procell was somewhere around $3.15.

Blowes decking is horrid HD stocks veranda (fiberon) and trex and they are also horrible.

I would get on the websites of some of these manufactures and get samples sent to you now so you can have some time to decide. You might have to special order some of the stuff because it is likely no one stocks a quality composite. Or they will have only 1 decking profile and no rail or fascia components.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
Good quality composites are not cheap. I usually pay $3.07 LF for Correct deck CX, TT came in at $3.52 LF and procell was somewhere around $3.15.

Blowes decking is horrid HD stocks veranda (fiberon) and trex and they are also horrible.

I would get on the websites of some of these manufactures and get samples sent to you now so you can have some time to decide. You might have to special order some of the stuff because it is likely no one stocks a quality composite. Or they will have only 1 decking profile and no rail or fascia components.

Ill look around on the net tonight for samples. The roofing supply guys have everything in composite to build a deck but again I thought what they had looked crummy.

I worked on a dueplex and one side was full of crap, the owner was a pack rat. There was a blueish grey composite pieces about 3ft long in there. That stuff was extremely heavy and looked very nice. Id like to get my hands on some of that.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #12

Yeh that adds to the labor of a composite deck. they are at least three times the weight.

you definaltly want to preorder all pieces because like robert said they might not stock everything you need.

I think Trex from the lumber yard I go to is 2.12/ft for the cheap 5/4 X 6 brand and about 2.5/ft for the midgrade stuff.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
EVIL GENIUS

I dont want to use any cheap crap, maybe a mid grade but the only way Id use the cheap junk is if thats what the customer wants. Im not to impressed with the junky stuff I seen.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,601

Quote:
I dont want to use any cheap crap, maybe a mid grade but the only way Id use the cheap junk is if thats what the customer wants. Im not to impressed with the junky stuff I seen.
You dont have to work with junk even if the customer wants it. I have flat out turned down customers who were interested in trex. I told them that my name will not be on a trex deck.
I have no desire to deal with someone coming over in 5 years and seeing a crappy deck (because the product sucks) and tossing the business card they took from me 5 years before when I was building it.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #15

Trade: Siding

Quote:
Id look everywhere before I buy from blowes or HD. The roofing supply guys have been around since 1937 and have very good service and prices. But their decking looks cheap, it looks like compressed hair. They may have some other stuff I didnt see but I dont like the looks of it and I would want a customer to not like it either. I dont like the junk bLowes has either but I like the "solid" look of it.

I may have a few jobs in a month or 2 in wetter areas like around a pool and this composite would look very nice but I was worried about being slippey and now Im worried about mold.
I sell Timbertech to the local dealers in your area, if you want a sample let me know. But yes XLM would be the best around a pool, but a wood composite would be great too. Just recommend Jomax. The product kills mold and mildew and from what I have seen does a better job that any pressure washer cleaning.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutstreamguy View Post
I sell Timbertech to the local dealers in your area, if you want a sample let me know. But yes XLM would be the best around a pool, but a wood composite would be great too. Just recommend Jomax. The product kills mold and mildew and from what I have seen does a better job that any pressure washer cleaning.

Id love a sample to show any futer customer.

U.S. Coast Guard
Old 03-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #17

Trade: Siding

My email is troutstreamguy@gmail.com
I can send you a sample or meet with you at a jobsite sometime.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,742

You can tell which ones are going to be slippery just by looking, the smooth ones are slick & the ones with simulated woodgrain are not. One of my favorite composites, Ameradeck, has passed the ADA slip test & would be a good choice for around a pool. Any of the low to mid-range composites that have exposed wood pulp will have problems with mold mildew unless they have added chemicals. Why some of them do not have the anti-mildew/mold agents is beyond me, must be costly.

Another concern for a composite around a pool would be heat. My experience from installing them in the hot Texas sun is that the light gray colors get less hot the cedar/redwood/hardwood colored ones.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: vinyl decks and fence
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Id love a sample to show any futer customer.
I handle Azek,and Royal products...Brock,DeckLok,and Novations Decking...all Vinyl and good slip resistance on all...and I'm not too far away
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #20
EVIL GENIUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey View Post
I handle Azek,and Royal products...Brock,DeckLok,and Novations Decking...all Vinyl and good slip resistance on all...and I'm not too far away
Do you deliver?

U.S. Coast Guard