Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Sketchup procedure

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TDF 
#1 ·
How do you guys build a deck in Sketchup? Do you create components such as 6x6 post, 2x10s, 2x12, etc. and then stack them together in the order similar to constructing one with real materials? I just downloaded the free version and it seems like it would take forever if you were creating the parts as you go. It seems like it would take awhile to create all the component initially but would save a lot of time from then on. How are you guys doing it? What is your procedure?

Thanks Alot, TF

#3 ·
Where do you get that free sketchup? Id like to try it too.
I have a - uh free- version of autocad lite 08 and despite not having any training or degree i have made a few detailed drawings. Im not good enough to use it for work yet cuz i forget how if its been too long and i find myself at the drawing board mostly. Does sketchup compare? Is it easier?

#5 ·
Where do you get that free sketchup? Id like to try it too.
I have a - uh free- version of autocad lite 08 and despite not having any training or degree i have made a few detailed drawings. Im not good enough to use it for work yet cuz i forget how if its been too long and i find myself at the drawing board mostly. Does sketchup compare? Is it easier?

Google sketchup, its free. I have seen some pretty impressive renderings made with sketchup.

#4 ·
Build assemblies of commonly used items like piers, joists, girders, deck boards etc.... No sense in drawing a pier everytime, right? Copy and paste as much as possible.

That being said, it can take a long time to draw a deck clean enough to show a client in SUP. I really only use it for estimating and permit drawings.

It's great for helping me count lumber and "seeing" weird little design things I have to account for.

I generally use layers a lot to allow me to achieve different views. For instance put roof sheathing on a layer so you can see the rafters, or put deck boards on a layer so you can see the joists.

Attachments

#8 ·
Keep in mind if you are drawing to show a client... They dont need to see each joist, beam, pier, etc... They only care about how its going to look. I sometimes dont even put in the support posts on my drawings.

Build components for everything you can. I have a lot and when I need another one I draw it and save it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.