Rla 2013

Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

Rla 2013

RLA 2013 is available now, $399 for a new license, $149 for the upgrade from 2012. For whatever reason my internet is sucking today so it says I have 5 more hours for the download to complete... I'll post up my thought as soon as I can.

I also got decktools a few weeks back (FYI it's $799 now) and while I like a lot of the features of DT a lot of the stuff is just stupid.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,026

Re: Rla 2013

Im loving rla

I'm especially loving the way I can import ac dwg's into it

I'm sure alot of ac users have difficulty switching between ac and su (including myself)

being able to knock out complex stuff in plan view on ac and tweak/render in rla at blistering speed is the best

I'm asuming you are doing the same using su, or are you starting from scratch in rla

only thing I hate is it's ram intensity really affects performance/battery

Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
Im loving rla

I'm especially loving the way I can import ac dwg's into it

I'm sure alot of ac users have difficulty switching between ac and su (including myself)

being able to knock out complex stuff in plan view on ac and tweak/render in rla at blistering speed is the best

I'm asuming you are doing the same using su, or are you starting from scratch in rla

only thing I hate is it's ram intensity really affects performance/battery
I do a bit in RLA and then fall back to SU and import for other things. If DT would allow me to import SU files it would be pretty good, but it's limitations on that are really annoying.

I'm still within my 60 days for DT so if RLA 2013 improves a bit I'll probably return DT. I'm just amazed at how clumsy DT is, I had to see it for myself to see how bad it really was... bad...
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Pro

howz rla working for you ram wise, what do you have it installed on?

on a seperate note, the snap settings in rla are real wonky at best, I find creating from scratch in it

Last edited by Bone Saw; 03-15-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Pro

somewhat cumbersome, either way it rocks, but it really shines at importing/rendering simplicity
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Pro

I have it on my desktop with 6gb ram, it does pretty good on it. I don't usually show people on the computer, I take a couple of shots of the design, watermark it and insert it into the PDF proposal that I send to them.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 500

I just wish you could do more with the deck frame in RLA .. So we could do the plans for permits in RLA ... Now we do the rendering in RLA and then draw it again in Decktools ... What a waste of time !

Looking at the update for RLA looks like the only deck update is with the railing...?

I was hoping Clemons was going to get in their ear more and get more deck features in this years update !

NADRA is pushing Vision Scape ... Which seems a lot like RLA ... $500 a year though ... Still it would be nice to only use one program or only draw it all out once !

Last edited by AutumnWood Inc.; 03-15-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Pro

I really need to get a replacement for my current laptop cause rla really makes it operate like *****, but don't want to pay for it twice. I just use the free one on my desktop, How many licenses did you get rob, multiple or just one?

Here's one getting ready to start, I knocked it out in AC, rendered in rla in about half an hour

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Bone Saw; 09-17-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Pro

That one looks nice, I need more people to pay for curves, it looks so nice... Hmmm... I might suggest it to somebody that I have in mind.

I just have the one license of RLA. There isn't a huge improvement between 12 & 13 that I've found yet, let me play with it some more and I'll know more.

The biggest thing I was hoping for was setting defaults for EVERYTHING, especially the house, most houses (that we work on) are stucco so it would be nice to not have to always make changes for each "house". I usually need to draw 3-4 "houses" just to get the look I want.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnWood Inc. View Post
I just wish you could do more with the deck frame in RLA .. So we could to the plans for permits in RLA ... Now we do the rendering in RLA and then draw it again in Decktools ... What a waste of time !

Looking at the update for RLA looks like the only deck update is with the railing...?

I was hoping Clemons was going to get in their ear more and get more deck features in this years update !

NADRA is pushing Vision Scape ... Which seems a lot like RLA ... $500 a year though ... Still it would be nice to only use one program or only draw it all out once !
I usually use SU and Layout for our CD since we have a bit more going on with the steel, I just started playing with the CD of DT and it's not too bad, I could probably make a PDF page of the details I need and make a few notes on the CD of DT and save some time.

I actually hope to get some more basic projects this year (I say that every year) but they go quicker and make a little more money than the custom stuff, it seems like something always goes wrong on the custom jobs that costs money. The basic decks just go so smooth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
AutumnWood Inc. (03-15-2013), bmcquin (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
I actually hope to get some more basic projects this year (I say that every year) but they go quicker and make a little more money than the custom stuff, it seems like something always goes wrong on the custom jobs that costs money. The basic decks just go so smooth.
I couldn't agree with you more on this.......... I love the simple 4-500 sq ft decks maybe with an arbor. Those are my $$$$ makers!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,108

Quote:

+10,000.

My ego told me it's now sufficiently satisfied and it's okay for me make a living from here on out.

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:
Bone Saw (03-15-2013), CarpenterSFO (04-03-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom Decks
Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
+10,000.

My ego told me it's now sufficiently satisfied and it's okay for me make a living from here on out.

Same here. Especially since I now just run crews and don't to the carpentry. Multiple basic decks at a time hold very little stress and a decent paycheck. Easier to hire qualified help also. The high end custom stuff sure looks good in a portfolio, it's very beneficial to have those under your belt first.

@Robert, keep us posted on the rla13, I was considering it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnWood Inc. View Post
I just wish you could do more with the deck frame in RLA .. So we could do the plans for permits in RLA ... Now we do the rendering in RLA and then draw it again in Decktools ... What a waste of time !
I hear what you're saying, and seems to be a limiting factor/extra work thing with DT,

if you are proficient with either AC or SU you can reverse/speed up the process signifigantly by designing in plan view, importing and connecting the dots

I will admit the drawing capabilities and snap settings in rla are rather cumbersome if you're creating something from scratch, but since you are primarily using it for a sales/presentation tool, accuracy and fretting over inches and minutia don't really matter.

as far as flexibility with the framing, again not a thing to waste time over, disable the beam/footings and create your own with the modeling tools, very easy. there are alot of easy work arounds and things you can do to trick the program to do what you want that are otherwise outside of it's capabilities
The Following User Says Thank You to Bone Saw For This Useful Post:
AutumnWood Inc. (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 1,014

What is RIA? I do sketch and send it off to get put in to cad for permit purposes only. I charge for renderings / design to customers.
Do you suburban deck guys need site plan, elevations, framing and details to obtain permit? I'm sure it varies for county, state and township, just curios.

Your decks are probably at least double the size of our considering we are limited to city rooftops averaging 250-300sf
When we get a ďbasic deckĒ I almost feel like I forgot something, because we are in and out so fast. It almost freaks e out..lol.

I love up selling the detail builds like flower box bench refrigerator flower boxes, drop grills, bars, custom stools and tables. Early on I made a template / jig / cut list for mostly all of the bels and whistles. Saves a boat load of time. Itís custom made in production like manor. Itís like Ikea furniture.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY DECKS INC View Post
What is RIA? I do sketch and send it off to get put in to cad for permit purposes only. I charge for renderings / design to customers.
Do you suburban deck guys need site plan, elevations, framing and details to obtain permit? I'm sure it varies for county, state and township, just curios.

Your decks are probably at least double the size of our considering we are limited to city rooftops averaging 250-300sf
When we get a ďbasic deckĒ I almost feel like I forgot something, because we are in and out so fast. It almost freaks e out..lol.

I love up selling the detail builds like flower box bench refrigerator flower boxes, drop grills, bars, custom stools and tables. Early on I made a template / jig / cut list for mostly all of the bels and whistles. Saves a boat load of time. Itís custom made in production like manor. Itís like Ikea furniture.
http://www.ideaspectrum.com/

Realtime Landscape Architect. It's got a few odd nuances to it but once you get the hang of it you can put out some neat designs.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #17
Pro

another thing that has impressed the hell out of clients is this

upon setting an appointment, first thing I'll do is pull as many images as I can of clients home from zillow/google earth with the scale in the image, print, and using my CI scale master I'll have a fairly accurate model of the home/landscape prior to meeting.

upon meeting, client is floored as to how I already have said model as we proceed directly into discussing/designing deck

it enables you to focus on selling and closing in a shorter timeframe as opposed to playing multiple meeting/budget poker
John Hyatt (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 336

Bone Saw,
That is a great idea! CI scale master is what exactly?

Thanks, Brian
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Pro

http://www.calculated.com/57/prd21/S...n-Measure.html
bmcquin (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 1,014

Quote:
http://www.ideaspectrum.com/

Realtime Landscape Architect. It's got a few odd nuances to it but once you get the hang of it you can put out some neat designs.
looks pretty neat.. maybe if / when I expand to the burbs. I wonder if the grass really is greener on the other side. I guess when considering I'm on rubber torch down roof top all everyday and bring in our own it just might be.

I like the simplicity of the rendering you have above with built in fire place.
Good job as always and to you and Bone saw.

Last edited by CITY DECKS INC; 03-17-2013 at 05:52 PM.