Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

new tigerwood deck -- boards with fuzz, green-yellow tint?

10K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  TopFloor 
#1 ·
Should a new tigerwood deck have any boards with extensive fuzz on them? Should a new deck oiled for the first time show greenish-yellow tinge over the brown-black tiger grain (mostly occurring over the fuzz spots)?

Our new tigerwood deck has several boards with extensive fuzzing on the surface. Typically the fuzzing occurs along with the tigerwood grain. Not all of our distinctive boards show this fuzz, but the ones that do are pretty noticeable. The contractor said that was normal when I asked about it during construction. It was bearable in appearance before the wood was oiled, however, now that it's been oiled for the first time (TWP) the fuzz really stands out. Moreover, those fuzzy areas now show a greenish-yellow tinge over the brown-black grain. It's very clear that the fuzz spots do not have the same smooth sheen/finish that the rest of the boards do.

I live in the southeast and the deck is new. The contractor is a pro at Ipe, but this is his 1st tigerwood job. Just want to know if this is a normal tigerwood material feature, or if I should address it. If the latter, should I sand, re-oil, or have him replace the boards in question?

Thanks!

#7 ·
John,
That's interesting-- thanks for the note on sulfur. So you've actually seen the greenish tinge, then, I suppose? Does if fade with time?

As for the fuzz, can you be more specific on why you think it's a non-issue? Are there specific causes of fuzz that you consider normal, or is it normal on wood the brazilian hardwoods? I've personally not observed this much fuzz on ipe decks I've been on, and since this is also my first look at tigerwood I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks for the comments.

#12 ·
stop the fuzzies!

I did some research on fuzzing, or furring, and learned that it can be caused by moisture content issues, or wood preparation at the mill or on site. There seems to be mixed opinion on whether sanding really helps; most of the more informative sources I found suggest running a defelting pad or Osborne brush over the surface, and that this will also work on oiled/stained boards.

Anyone out their with experience using either of these techniques on deck boards to address furring?

#13 ·
Just a thought, could the issue be from the milling of the wood? I have experienced patches of raised grain which I believed was caused by moisture in the wood then the heat generated by the milling blades. The greenish color could be caused by the fadding or the raised grain ( fuzz )
along with the oil that was applied. I'm not stating this is the cause, but if it is sanding should take care of the problem.
Sorry you got jumped on! Not every one here feels the need to chastize people about how they come to post on this site. Welcome aboard.

#20 ·
The fuzz

Have you complained to your contractor that your deck has excessive fuzz? I've heard just about every imaginable complaint, but never had someone complain about excessive fuzz. I'd get a good laugh out of that one.

People never cease to amaze me. They wait til their deck is done then complain about crap like "my boards are fuzzy". Did you ever think about looking at the deck boards before they got installed. That's the time to look at them & pick out the ones you don't like, not after they are installed & stained. You are in the deck building industry & you're on here complaining about fuzzy boards, give me a freakin break.

#21 ·
Have you complained to your contractor that your deck has excessive fuzz? I've heard just about every imaginable complaint, but never had someone complain about excessive fuzz. I'd get a good laugh out of that one.

People never cease to amaze me. They wait til their deck is done then complain about crap like "my boards are fuzzy". Did you ever think about looking at the deck boards before they got installed. That's the time to look at them & pick out the ones you don't like, not after they are installed & stained. You are in the deck building industry & you're on here complaining about fuzzy boards, give me a freakin break.
Ok, I'm going to help you since you're so polite.

First, regarding your reading comprehension disorder: it very clearly states in the initial post that the fuzz was discussed with the contractor during construction. Read the posts, buddy!

Second, please don't rely on your limited experience with deck projects, or your clearly superlative customer relationship skills to judge whether "excessive fuzz" is a real concern or not. It was on this deck. That's a given, that's what I'm telling you. What's not clear is how common the problem is, how significantly correlated excess fuzz is to tigerwood material, or what the proper resolutions are. The considerate, respectable pros here and elsewhere have weighed in, and I appreciate it.

Thirdly, I'm in the electrical trade, and I happen to be doing decks. Regardless of my professional credentialing, affiliation, or expertise it never hurts to solicit additional expert opinion on new situations one encounters. In fact, I would argue that the capacity to maturely respect and consider other points-of-view, refraining from unnecessary judgements, is one hallmark of a true professional.

Hope your customers don't hear your snickers, and that your amazement at people never dwindles. Best of luck in your quest to become a true professional!

#26 · (Edited)
Wait a Sec,,,excess Fuzz..... that really got my attention....intersting way of putting it.

Hmmmmmmmm...we should start with raising the grain 101. Say you were working with Red Oak on a table top its all out of the clamps,installed,and ready for finish we are of course puting on a hand rubbed finish soooooooooo its water,sand,water sand, watersand and water sand this knocks off the raised grain so a person can rub the finish on to a Glass finish using Watco or the like,after a while.

But we are talking OutSide finish here you say!!! same deal. Its got nothing to do with the way the S American lumber was milled,or moisture content,or deck pawn dumb ass stuff, or...... well must I go on?? Sometimes the grain raises by its own Self for a lot of reasons same thing with any hardwood.

We call them Whiskers, ipe/tiger wood/masenramduba they all will do this if they take a mind to. And they are a little sharp if you run your hand,or any privet parts,over them.
But are They Excess???? No Class they are not They are just a result , Any WoodWorker would see this reaction and Say" O Man the dammm grain raised now I have to sand the thing!!! " There is Nothing Excess about it just normal woodworking with S American Lumber.

The John Mon wants to remind the Class that I have not got a check from several of you slackers!! Show Me The Money or its kick to the curb with you Frog Faces!!!

#28 ·
Okay, I've been watching this for long enough, I guess. Mister Andy, your presence here so far has been nothing but Wocky.

Have you done anything at all to establish yourself here as a professional contractor? No.
Have you contributed any professional expertise to any of the myriad technical threads here? No.
Have you even joined in with any of the off-duty jocularity some of us indulge in at times? No.
Have you contributed any on-the-job war stories? No.
Have you done anything but whine about the deck your contractor built for you? No.

Have you presented yourself as nothing but a homeowner seeking free advice from professionals? YES.

Please go away now.

#32 ·
the guy is an electrical engineer and not a homeowner. seems to me he should be welcomed here. as far as I can tell he is legitimate and certainly expresses himself well.

regarding the "fuzz." - i learned something here, especially the suggestion to let the ho pick and choose the lumber. nine out ten times they will say it's fine which covers your tail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.