Mike Holmes Builds Deck

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #141
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Yes it is.

I say I know how to properly tile. You believe me or not. If you believe me and I say Holmes has installed tile incorrectly, you should infer that my statement is correct.

If you believe I know how to install tile but don't believe Holmes installs wrong, you are insinuating I'm lying about my statement.

If you don't believe I know how to tile, you are still wrong and I win.

The end.
I concur.

I've provided proof, I saw it. If you open your eyes you'll see that many others saw it too. I have nothing to gain by lying about his hackmanship.
RobertCDF is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
GRB (08-02-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #142
Pro
 
bluebird5's Avatar
 
Trade: Licensed G. C. carpenter, flooring, remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: hendersonville, tennessee
Posts: 820
Rewards Points: 694

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I've seen him multiple times screwing a second layer of plywood (over a ply subfloor) into the joists. Oh yeah, he used construction adhesive on the 2nd layer too.

I've seen him tile directly to plywood.
Now that you say that, I was watching i hate my kitchen (or something like that) on the diy channel and there advice was to use construction adhesive to glue down the cbu and then screw it. On top of that, they install something like 6x18 travertine. It looked beautiful when they were done, but i sure would like to see it in person in five years. I doubt that floor was an L720.

It was a house before there was plywood because they had 1x planks as subfloor. In my experience old houses have bouncy floors too. I see a lot of 2x8 floor joists around here.
bluebird5 is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #143
I eat sawdust.
 
Winchester's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Design/Build
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,975
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
I concur.

I've provided proof, I saw it. If you open your eyes you'll see that many others saw it too. I have nothing to gain by lying about his hackmanship.
Multiple eye-witness statements can send a man to the electric chair but it's not good enough to prove your point to TNT.
Winchester is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post:
DavidC (08-02-2012), GRB (08-02-2012)
   
 
Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #144
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
That was a sided house, not brick. Next!

Attachment 75911
I hope he has spacing washers behind that ledger to let some air in there. Even with it flashed, a ledger tight against the siding like that can have issues down the road.

I was taught a 3 washer spacing created enough air gap to "make it right".
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #145
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


I once watched Mikey Ho Ho pour a new front set of concrete steps.....SOLID!!!!

You know how normal people would put self compacting gravel or sand in a hump in the middle to decrease the amount of concrete a bit?

Not Mr Mike.

He poured a massive solid set of stairs that was:

- wasteful of materials
- overly costly
- greatly increased the load concentration under the footprint of the steps

I only do concrete if it's part of the whole framing job, so I am not "concrete expert"....but it seemed like he made quite a rookie move.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #146
Deck Parts Retailer
 
killerdecks's Avatar
 
Trade: deck builder
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wayne Mi
Posts: 3,108
Rewards Points: 888

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
For the record if Mike Holmes ever wants to do an episode in the USA I think Dayton, Ohio would be a great place for it. The Ohio Home Doctor Remodeling Company is happy to supply the subcontract labor at a discounted rate for allowing us to promote ourselves on the show.
Killerdecks will do it for free
killerdecks is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #147
Every now and then poster
 
ohiohomedoctor's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 13,436
Rewards Points: 3,544

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks

Killerdecks will do it for free
Thats great for the deck and if they want to hire 100 different contractors.. Ohio Home Doctor will manage the whole project to reduce filming costs while getting started here in the good ole USA.

Last edited by ohiohomedoctor; 08-02-2012 at 06:56 AM.
ohiohomedoctor is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #148
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Yes it is.

I say I know how to properly tile. You believe me or not. If you believe me and I say Holmes has installed tile incorrectly, you should infer that my statement is correct.

If you believe I know how to install tile but don't believe Holmes installs wrong, you are insinuating I'm lying about my statement.

If you don't believe I know how to tile, you are still wrong and I win.

The end.
I don't think that liar is the only option. You could think that you know how to tile, but are mistaken, or misinformed. You may not know as much as you think you do.

One could also rush to judgement or not take the time to really understand what they saw.

Seeing the I know you and your work. I can trust in your assessment.

Asking for evidence that there is wrong doing is not calling someone a liar, but merely asking for proof of wrong doing. All of the above are other options that exclude you lying. But I guess if you let your ego get in the way, then all you hear is that someone is calling you a liar.

See, not the end!
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.

Last edited by TNTSERVICES; 08-02-2012 at 06:31 AM.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #149
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
Mark me down in that category. And please, no more self portrait photos, it's gay.
You are already there.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #150
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
I concur.

I've provided proof, I saw it. If you open your eyes you'll see that many others saw it too. I have nothing to gain by lying about his hackmanship.
Really? Acceptance comes to mind. You gain acceptance.

As for your proof, please see my response to Angus. Eye witness testimony has been wrong before. It doesn't mean that you are a liar, but just mistaken about what you saw.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #151
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Multiple eye-witness statements can send a man to the electric chair but it's not good enough to prove your point to TNT.
Right, but it's not just there word that sends a man to the chair. There testimony has to be corroborated and raked over with a fine tooth comb. Three people cannot just come up and say you committed a murder without other evidence and you will be put to death.

I have two people on this thread saying that he does decent work. Are we lying? Are we not trust worthy?
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #152
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


All that I asked for was proof that he did wrong. If you can't provide proof when asked for your claim, especially when a man's reputation is on the line, then something is wrong, and it's not with the person asking for the proof.

But like I said before, keep turning this on me and not the actual claims that have been made.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #153
Pro
 
GRB's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,439
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
All that I asked for was proof that he did wrong. If you can't provide proof when asked for your claim, especially when a man's reputation is on the line, then something is wrong, and it's not with the person asking for the proof.

But like I said before, keep turning this on me and not the actual claims that have been made.
With the exception of maybe one person, no one is turning on you. Rather, we're trying to point out your steadfast refusal to accept statements from members here that have witnessed incorrect installations.

It is interesting that you will give him the benefit of the doubt all the time yet dismiss the expertise, knowledge, & integrity of anyone who questions him -apparently even those you know personally.
GRB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GRB For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #154
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I don't think that liar is the only option. You could think that you know how to tile, but are mistaken, or misinformed. You may not know as much as you think you do.

One could also rush to judgement or not take the time to really understand what they saw.

Seeing the I know you and your work. I can trust in your assessment.

Asking for evidence that there is wrong doing is not calling someone a liar, but merely asking for proof of wrong doing. All of the above are other options that exclude you lying. But I guess if you let your ego get in the way, then all you hear is that someone is calling you a liar.

See, not the end!


The end!
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
GRB (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #155
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Really? Acceptance comes to mind. You gain acceptance.

As for your proof, please see my response to Angus. Eye witness testimony has been wrong before. It doesn't mean that you are a liar, but just mistaken about what you saw.
You are calling me and the more than a dozen other people who've posted about it a liar.

I watched the show for maybe 5-10 minutes when I was flipping through the channels 4 years ago, saw he was a hack and moved on. I'm not going to waste my time watching every episode for the "proof" you seek, you seem to watch his show, don't worry if you watch all the reruns then I'm sure you'll see it sometime.

I'm not a liar, and neither are the countless other people who've posted about his hackmanship. You simply have your head in the sand.
RobertCDF is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #156
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 20,153
Rewards Points: 829

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
I once watched Mikey Ho Ho pour a new front set of concrete steps.....SOLID!!!!

- greatly increased the load concentration under the footprint of the steps
That's correct. I've seen multiple houses with solid concrete steps or ramps poured like this that would up pushing the foundation in. The thick end toward the foundation just keeps settling and the top of the steps push the foundation in.
hdavis is online now  
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #157
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 20,153
Rewards Points: 829

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


[QUOTE=TNTSERVICES;1550073Three people cannot just come up and say you committed a murder without other evidence and you will be put to death.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the the state for the death part, but yeah, they can. There doesn't even have to be a body or physical evidence.
hdavis is online now  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #158
I eat sawdust.
 
Winchester's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Design/Build
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,975
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Are we not trust worthy?
Exactly.

The people who say they saw it with their own eyes, I have seen their knowledgeable posts over the years and lots of photos of their work. I know they know what they are talking about and can trust their eye-witness accounts.

Coupled with the few times I have noticed Holmes doing stuff improperly and I have no doubts they saw the things they did.

You, on the other hand- I can't recall anything from you but random douchebaggery and contrarian posts.

Saying "prove he is a hack" is quite different than "prove that you saw him using yellow-zinc construction screws in joist hangers."
You're full of it.

Last edited by Winchester; 08-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Winchester is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (08-02-2012), GRB (08-02-2012), RobertCDF (08-02-2012), WarriorWithWood (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #159
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB View Post
With the exception of maybe one person, no one is turning on you. Rather, we're trying to point out your steadfast refusal to accept statements from members here that have witnessed incorrect installations.

It is interesting that you will give him the benefit of the doubt all the time yet dismiss the expertise, knowledge, & integrity of anyone who questions him -apparently even those you know personally.
Have seen his work. I have not seen yours. Anyone can create account on and proclaim that they are a pro. I haven' refused to accept your word, just your wor. Why can you not provide the proof to your claim?
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #160
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,699
Rewards Points: 3,808

Re: Mike Holmes Builds Deck


Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
You are calling me and the more than a dozen other people who've posted about it a liar.

I watched the show for maybe 5-10 minutes when I was flipping through the channels 4 years ago, saw he was a hack and moved on. I'm not going to waste my time watching every episode for the "proof" you seek, you seem to watch his show, don't worry if you watch all the reruns then I'm sure you'll see it sometime.

I'm not a liar, and neither are the countless other people who've posted about his hackmanship. You simply have your head in the sand.
Again there are other options other than a liar. You could make assumptions and believe them to be true. Also how do you define wrong? I have seen a lot of guys tell each other they are wrong but really meant they are not doing it the way they approve of. All that I am asking is to prove your position with more hearsay.

Advertisement

__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost of deck! Clemens Decks & Fencing 4 03-05-2012 07:50 PM
Freestanding deck puzzle Jackpine Savage Decks & Fencing 2 10-14-2011 03:52 PM
Replacing Deck Boards that were Nailed, Do I Nail or Screw new boards? MalibuLX3 Decks & Fencing 11 10-08-2011 05:12 AM
Whats The most expensive deck you've built deck king Decks & Fencing 96 07-10-2010 08:02 PM
Trex Deck damage ?'s Celtic General Discussion 15 11-02-2009 06:45 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?