Mahogany Porch Flooring

Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Trade: carpenter

Mahogany Porch Flooring

I just landed a job rebuilding a 300 sq ft front porch on an old craftsman home. We will be using t&g mahogany 3/4" thick. The porch is covered and the handrails will be 36" tall knee walls with cedar shakes covering them. There shouldn't be too much rain water getting on it but I'm still going with 1/4" per foot pitch anyway. The boards will be perpendicular to the house.

So anyways, I have installed t&g mahogany a couple times and never had any problems but i have been reading horror stories about boards buckling and serious repairs having to be done on the contractors dime. I really don't want this to happen ! I'm not going to gap them at all but I'm also not going to slam them together super tight. I think I'm going to fasten them with screws toed through the grooves and into the joists.

I saw this new screw system called "Camo" and it uses pretty stout trim screws and that's what I want to use. I have read some guys also use adhesive in addition to the screws to prevent buckling. It seems like overkill to me. What do you guys think ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,

Re: Mahogany Porch Flooring

Camo = no good

grk #7 ss or stainless cleat nail.
PL premium
Airflow, airflow, airflow.

Make sure to have airflow on sides and if needed vents in places at the highest point of the decking.

Make sure decking can drain past wall.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
greg24k (07-01-2013), Tom M (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling

And then theres board sealing. Never heard an answer I liked and the theory is all over the place. Sand off mill glaze on all sides then seall all sides has been recommended but is an insane process. I would just seall cuts, then sand and seal the top after installed my next time around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
And then theres board sealing. Never heard an answer I liked and the theory is all over the place. Sand off mill glaze on all sides then seall all sides has been recommended but is an insane process. I would just seall cuts, then sand and seal the top after installed my next time around.
Never seal the whole thing on porch flooring as it would interfere with glue adhesion. Youre right sand/seal after installation and end cuts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Tom M (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

I have used the stainless screws in the past and boy, when the heads strip it's an instant battle. I was liking the Camo screws because they look like they wouldn't strip nearly as easy and they are rust resistant. What is the downside to these screws ? Not the whole system obviously, but just the screws. I agree with if I was to finish the bottoms of the boards the pl wouldn't bond properly. In the past i actually sprayed the boards down with glycol to prevent mold down the road. I don't know if that's just An old wives tale but there has never been any mold. And after the install i finished it with cabbots Aussie oil and it worked out great. But this time i will definately be paying much more attention to venting and be gluing everything down as i go.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #6

And speaking of the Camo system, have you tried it ? Clearly wouldn't work with PT due to gaps being way too big after drying out but it looks like it may work ok with PVC/composites. Much cheaper and faster than tiger claws i would think.
The Following User Says Thank You to chapstick For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstick View Post
And speaking of the Camo system, have you tried it ? Clearly wouldn't work with PT due to gaps being way too big after drying out but it looks like it may work ok with PVC/composites. Much cheaper and faster than tiger claws i would think.
It can't even come close to comparing to tigerclaw for speed, not much can if using the gun. And this is coming from an ipe clip fan.

The main reason ss screws strip is because user isn't in line with the screw with his drill tip. For #7 or 8 screws use a 9/64" drill bit to predrill and success will be yours.

Camo screws aren't ss, I don't like anything in the new pt or exotics that isn't ss.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Love What You Do !

Trade: Carpenter

I just repaired a mahogany t&g deck that was brand new. It buckled so bad that there was a hump that stuck out 1' up. Also the sides pushed out nearly an inch. I'm completely opposed to using any kind of t&g flooring outside, its just a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits

Late term post due to the mafia type requirement imposed having to use google chrome. Don't they have enough money/control already ?

Mahogany has become a generic term,what kind of wood are you actually using ?

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: repair & renovation

Dont they call it "meranti decking"?

I dont like the stuff. Nor do i offer it. ive heard too many stories about buckling, severe checking and spliting.

To the op listen to the pros suggestions and you should be good.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
Dont they call it "meranti decking"?

I dont like the stuff. Nor do i offer it. ive heard too many stories about buckling, severe checking and spliting.

To the op listen to the pros suggestions and you should be good.
red balau is another type they like to call mahogany. Funny thing is its about 12,000 miles from being real mahogany...

It comes from southeast Asia not south America and can be used successfully in the right scenarios but acts waaaay different. Doesn't do well in Florida at all.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Remodelingologist

Trade: Repair/Remodeling

They call meranti "mahogany" because calling it lauan would drastically lower the sales. It's actually shorea.

Red Balau is also shorea. There are almost 200 different species of shorea but a lot of them are endangered.
Here's how you figure your pricing L+M+O+P=Price

Last edited by EthanB; 06-22-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
John Hyatt

Philippine and Cuban mahogany were the Best. Really nice lumber.

Asia material not so much.

When I install SA T&G decking I order it with an extra 1/8'' in the G,cut a 1/2'' slot in the T every 3' or so, install thru the G with ss screws after a predrill. Done right the slot and screw don't show. This decking drains the same way as any other thru the 1/8'' gap.

Provide positive cross ventilation, use construction adhesive on the joists, don't jam the decking up.

I have projects out over 10 years done this way, one 8'' off the ground.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hyatt View Post
I have projects out over 10 years done this way, one 8'' off the ground.

You are really good, or really lucky, but you definitely have guts. Is the deck exposed w/no roof?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstick View Post
I just landed a job rebuilding a 300 sq ft front porch on an old craftsman home. We will be using t&g mahogany 3/4" thick. The porch is covered and the handrails will be 36" tall knee walls with cedar shakes covering them. There shouldn't be too much rain water getting on it but I'm still going with 1/4" per foot pitch anyway. The boards will be perpendicular to the house.

So anyways, I have installed t&g mahogany a couple times and never had any problems but i have been reading horror stories about boards buckling and serious repairs having to be done on the contractors dime. I really don't want this to happen ! I'm not going to gap them at all but I'm also not going to slam them together super tight. I think I'm going to fasten them with screws toed through the grooves and into the joists.

I saw this new screw system called "Camo" and it uses pretty stout trim screws and that's what I want to use. I have read some guys also use adhesive in addition to the screws to prevent buckling. It seems like overkill to me. What do you guys think ?
New Guy what about the picts.....
Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
John Hyatt

Several jobs were exposed to the weather full bore. One is the floor of my spa room building.

This is not luck but the result of study, planing, tests, install.

J.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Hyatt For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hyatt View Post
Late term post due to the mafia type requirement imposed having to use google chrome. Don't they have enough money/control already ?

Mahogany has become a generic term,what kind of wood are you actually using ?

Did you have to install the mafia chrome to get up and running again? I have resisted installing chrome even tho I can't view some pages.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
John Hyatt

That is the only way I could do it Al.

Seems like the site has been released to google after the last maintenance session.

J.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
John Hyatt

I am not understand how a search engine, even one as big and money glutted as google, can control a web site like this one.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services

It works on my phone, with FF, IE, safari, chrome, no issues what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling