LockDry Aluminum Decking

Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
decks-patios-remodeling

Trade: Deck, patios & remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

LockDry Aluminum Decking

I have a prospect that wants his deck built using this product. It seems easy enough to work with but I have questions on how some of the accessory components are installed. I spoke to the rep today and he tried to answer my question about how the risers on the stairs work etc. (don't think he really understood the question). Does anyone have experience using this product and what did you use for the stair risers, tread nosing and what did you use to wrap the perimeter fasca with? Any and all thoughts from those in the know would be great. Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
decks-patios-remodeling

Re: LockDry Aluminum Decking

Looks like I have stumped the deck gods. 16 views so far & no replies...

Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,776

I was in Vegas at the Deck show and was talking to a rep. Of course he will paint a perfect picture, but looking at it, I think it sucks. The only trim available it T-Molding and edge Trim. I don't like how the edge trim goes on and you see the screws. Trim will trap dirt on top and stairs and it be a bitch to keep it clean. I asked him about it and he started to change the subject. If I had a dock, maybe I would consider it, if I was to put in on my house, I wouldn't take if it, if someone gave it to me for nothing. It looks and feels like a fancy Mezzanine in the wear-house.

I guess its the matter or preference.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,880

My supplier carried it for awhile, the stuff never sold so they gave me the display deck made with it. I put it on my buddies travel trailer down at the coast, looks exactly the same as it did several years ago. For looks I give it a 1 on a scale of 1-10, durability you have to give it a 10 tho. Oh yeah, it was slippery as heck when wet, busted my arse more than once on that darn deck. As far as working with it I don't have a clue.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
My supplier carried it for awhile, the stuff never sold so they gave me the display deck made with it. I put it on my buddies travel trailer down at the coast, looks exactly the same as it did several years ago. For looks I give it a 1 on a scale of 1-10, durability you have to give it a 10 tho. Oh yeah, it was slippery as heck when wet, busted my arse more than once on that darn deck. As far as working with it I don't have a clue.
If that doesn't answer ALL your questions, nothing will.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
If that doesn't answer ALL your questions, nothing will.
So... what should you charge to install it?

~Matt
Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreyerConstruct View Post
So... what should you charge to install it?

~Matt
Duh. 59 cents a cubic foot. You are such a dummy.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Done this. Decking locks up great, no leaks, finished the rim boards in alluminum, used structural aluminum posts, aluminum spiral staircase ( it was second story deck ) This stuff installs as fast as decking. Only compaint from homeowner the next year was that it is hot on the feet.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
decks-patios-remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
Done this. Decking locks up great, no leaks, finished the rim boards in alluminum, used structural aluminum posts, aluminum spiral staircase ( it was second story deck ) This stuff installs as fast as decking. Only compaint from homeowner the next year was that it is hot on the feet.
Did you use aluminum coil stock for the rim or something else? And what about stair nosing and riser materials. I was thinking about using TT XLM to face the rim, stair stringers and risers.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Pro

ok, a little more info - joists run out from house, strapped with 2x4, so decking will drain, requires very slight slope. They make a finishing strip for the exposed ends, and I used flat stock to make facia that went up under this strip. Same finish at the stair. We also finished the under side with vented soffit. Railings were aluminum with glass panels. He's a repeat customer, been about 5 yrs. now, no problems. Their requirement on the project was to have absolutely no maintanance. You'll need a good carbide blade for your chop saw, get one designed to cut aluminum. This stuff is expensive and I guess with the strapping out a little more work than decking, but it went pretty fast and no problems encountered. Oh, and the company did the take off from a simple drawing I sent them, and they spec'd and sent everything I needed. Can't remember their name right now but think they were in Georgia.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
decks-patios-remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
ok, a little more info - joists run out from house, strapped with 2x4, so decking will drain, requires very slight slope. They make a finishing strip for the exposed ends, and I used flat stock to make facia that went up under this strip. Same finish at the stair. We also finished the under side with vented soffit. Railings were aluminum with glass panels. He's a repeat customer, been about 5 yrs. now, no problems. Their requirement on the project was to have absolutely no maintanance. You'll need a good carbide blade for your chop saw, get one designed to cut aluminum. This stuff is expensive and I guess with the strapping out a little more work than decking, but it went pretty fast and no problems encountered. Oh, and the company did the take off from a simple drawing I sent them, and they spec'd and sent everything I needed. Can't remember their name right now but think they were in Georgia.
Katoman..you da man. I appreciate the info. But by strapping do you mean sleepers run perpendicular to the joists to get the proper fall??
Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckndave View Post
Katoman..you da man. I appreciate the info. But by strapping do you mean sleepers run perpendicular to the joists to get the proper fall??
Correct. Decking runs away from home to accomodate fall. Watch your joint at the wall. We cut a slot in the mortar joint and installed flashing on a 1x4 tapconed to the wall.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

i hate to post on an older thread like this but i want to get some more chat on this stuff.

I looked into the stuff today at a local distributor. the guy was very cool there and gave me a ton of samples. Sounds like really good stuff but high, oh my god, my cost is 6.40 a sq ft. thats more than composit at lowes by a touch.... composit never really did it for me anyway.

The customer i have needs a dry space below so i thought about the boat docks they use it on... seems to be a great system. They claim it is cooler on the feet than wood or cement, weighs only 2 # per sq foot. Goes on like butter. I dont see what's not to love except the price.

Sounds like they have put together a new powdercoat system for it, with a nice slipresistant finish. For the standard deck (wet below not a factor) they have a new deal for that too, somewhat cheaper too. fastens to joist between the boards with a stainless screw and some fancy locking clip that aligns the boards with proper spacing. Looks cool too, but why not just keep the water off the joist to begin with by using the lockdry system? installs eaiser too.

I'm lovin this right now, but havent installed it yet, might not get to at that price!!! MSRP is 8 bucks a sq ft. 20% contractor discount makes it 6.40 a foot.

Would love to see some trim work on the outer bands on some decks. Aluminum coil isnt recommended on treated wood tho i'm told it will eat it up, but have done it many times myself. Always used to put up coil on the house before laggin up the ledger board.

Would love to hear some more thoughts on this stuff, i've done all the homework i can... now i need to hear it from the installers.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #14

Trade: Remodeling and Landscaping
Rewards Points: 10

I'm also looking at this product for a customer who wants the area beneath their upper deck dry. I was going to go with a composite or PVC decking with either a Trex Rainscape or something similar under it. In my opinion, I think this would be a beneficial deck alternative for my customer.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4D5 View Post
I'm also looking at this product for a customer who wants the area beneath their upper deck dry. I was going to go with a composite or PVC decking with either a Trex Rainscape or something similar under it. In my opinion, I think this would be a beneficial deck alternative for my customer.

Thanks.
Mike,

I've used LastDeck (same concept) and it works fine, it's just a different look than a standard deck.

We are just starting a project with the Next Deck by Lock Dry (not waterproof) I think it will be a great looking project. Aluminum is a cool product but it's made better if you use framework that will last as long as the decking (steel).

If you choose to do the traditional decking route with Rain Escape I have some extra Rain Escape that I will sell for cheap (there is another user that also has some for sale as well) .
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #16

Trade: Remodeling and Landscaping
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Rob. I'll keep that in mind.